March 15 "deadline"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allygator89

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, do you know how strictly the March 15th deadline is followed by adcoms? I am curious if some of the smaller schools have to follow this.

Quoted from the MSAR "By March 15 of the year of matriculation, each school of medicine should have issued a number of acceptances at least equal to the size of it s first-year entering class."

I am concerned with the schools that have smaller class sizes, and ones that had told us at the interviews that they had not accepted more than 1/2 their class at that time.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the deadline is May 15 .

I'm just totally guessing, but it seems like some schools could easily get away with not sending out all the acceptences, but I'm usually wrong about almost everything so....
anyhoo, they're talking about the 3/15 deadline over at the UCLA thread, I don't remember how much in detail they've gone into it, but maybe somebody knows more detail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most schools take it seriously but some schools like Yale do not.

While I wish that I knew the decisions for every school I applied to now:

1) That rule from the website said "should", not "must".

2) Most of us have been applying since June. One or two (or three) weeks isn't going to matter much at all in the long scheme of things. We'll still have about six weeks to make a decision on a school. And even May 15 is about three months before any classes begin.

Having said that I still whine everyday about having to wait:D

Is this rule actually enforced by amcas? i'm sure most schools have issued that number by now anyways. most schools usually accept twice the size of the class if not more, right? lets take stanford for example...they give out 180 accepts for about 80 seats. when i interviewed early march they had already given out about half of the 180. i think by mid march its a good idea for schools to have given out enough accepts to match their class size(at least). for what reasons would they be stingy(or just extremely slow like ucla?) with accepts and not give a significant amount out by mid march? i'm sure a lot of schools want to be able to inivte people to second look day etc.