ComfortableWolf

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
So there is a rumor going around that on March 15 all adcoms can see where an applicant has been accpeted- is this true- Or do people mistake this date with May 15?

If this is true wouldn't this be an advantage for schools like UPENN who are taking their sweet time with decisions and to the disadvantage of those already accpeted to schools with similiar rankings/reputation?

ajt2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
ComfortableWolf said:
So there is a rumor going around that on March 15 all adcoms can see where an applicant has been accpeted- is this true- Or do people mistake this date with May 15?

If this is true wouldn't this be an advantage for schools like UPENN who are taking their sweet time with decisions and to the disadvantage of those already accpeted to schools with similiar rankings/reputation?

It depends how the schools (like UPenn and Yale) want to view it. If you're holding acceptances at other really competitive schools (like WashU, Harvard, Columbia), it could be a huge plus for you - shows that the admission committees obviously see a lot of potential in you and that you're a hot prospect. So, you're golden! OR, one could also argue that Yale/Penn would be less likely to offer you an acceptance as you've already got so many options to choose from, and could potentially mess with their stats (unless, of course, you're *so* amazing that you're worth the risk).

But, honestly, the UPenn adcom has been making decisions over the last month - so, it's highly doubtful that any major changes would be made so close to game time.

Hmm...I've succeeded in writing a lot, but saying very little. Thank God it's Friday!

EpointH

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2004
Status
I'd be interested to hear opinions on whether this newfound knowledge affects financial award decisions. As with admission, I can see it both ways - schools might want to lure you after seeing that you've gotten into other similarly-competitive schools, but they also might give up on you and throw the money at someone they view as more likely to actually go there. Thoughts?

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
ComfortableWolf said:

On March 15, schools are required to have issued a number of acceptances that is at least as great as the size of the first-year entering class, and reported this info back to AMCAS, but I am not sure that this info is shared with other schools yet. There was a good thread on this a few months back, and I think this question got answered, but I have no clue as to how to find that thread again.
It isn't clear to me whether schools like UPenn would benefit from this kind of info if they in fact got it -- I guess it might let them know how hard a pitch they need to make to a candidate, but I suspect they have a pretty good idea (from history/experience) of what kind of candidate gets better offers and which don't.

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
KNOTSville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
When I interviewed at a certain school, the admissions director told us that they know where we are accepted on March 15th. This particular school meets on March 18th to decide scholarhips and so forth. I'm assuming that the admissions committee is going to give the scholarships to those outstanding students who they really want, but are holding acceptances at other top schools.

if i were them id be waiting to change my mind at the last minute...they probably have definite no piles and definite yes piles and the extra WEEK before they tell us may be for everyone in b/w...i at least hope im still "in b/w" @ this point!! ;)

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
KNOTSville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
the1111gal said:
if i were them id be waiting to change my mind at the last minute...they probably have definite no piles and definite yes piles and the extra WEEK before they tell us may be for everyone in b/w...i at least hope im still "in b/w" @ this point!! ;)
:confused: :confused: Anyone else :confused: ?

MedicineBird

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Status
MadameLULU said:
When I interviewed at a certain school, the admissions director told us that they know where we are accepted on March 15th. This particular school meets on March 18th to decide scholarhips and so forth. I'm assuming that the admissions committee is going to give the scholarships to those outstanding students who they really want, but are holding acceptances at other top schools.

do you suppose they can see where you were rejected too? i.e. if 10 other schools didn't want you, they wonder if they should have taken you and offer you less or no scholarship?

NEATOMD

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
Well, even if they can't see where you were rejected they could already see where all you applied...its on your AMCAS. Knowing where you were accepted and where you applied probably gives them a pretty good idea of who turned you down.

OP
C

ComfortableWolf

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
NEATOMD said:
Well, even if they can't see where you were rejected they could already see where all you applied...its on your AMCAS

According to AMCAS the schools cannot see where else you applied- hence the question occassionally asked in interviews:

Where else did you apply? ;)

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
NEATOMD said:
Well, even if they can't see where you were rejected they could already see where all you applied...its on your AMCAS
Actually, schools do not know where you have applied (they don't receive this part of AMCAS).

CanIMakeIt

It will get better once you are...still waiting :)
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
NEATOMD said:

I don't think that schools ever know where all we have applied to. They just know where we have been accepted.

NEATOMD

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Attending Physician
Interesting, I had to send a copy of my amcas to a couple of programs...that definately had that information on it. I thought I heard somewhere that they got the whole thing...then again, maybe I just assumed it. :confused:

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
KNOTSville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
MedicineBird said:
do you suppose they can see where you were rejected too? i.e. if 10 other schools didn't want you, they wonder if they should have taken you and offer you less or no scholarship?
i don't think so

OP
C

ComfortableWolf

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
Status
NEATOMD said:
Interesting, I had to send a copy of my amcas to a couple of programs...that definately had that information on it.
The only program where I had to send an AMCAS hardcopy was Tufts but they specifically stated that it was ok (and perhaps recommended) to remove the last page with the list of schools to which I applied

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
NEATOMD said:
Interesting, I had to send a copy of my amcas to a couple of programs...that definately had that information on it. I thought I heard somewhere that they got the whole thing...then again, maybe I just assumed it. :confused:
I agree with the last poster -- you were allowed to omit that page.

PhotoMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
NYC
Status
Medical Student
By the way guys, just to clarify. It's not March 15, it's March 30, when adcoms have to fill their classes. And May 15 is the day they get to see where you are holding acceptances, and they can revoke acceptances if you do not choose to enroll by that date.

CanIMakeIt

It will get better once you are...still waiting :)
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
NEATOMD said:
Yeah because that was your copy they asked for.....in their copy they get the rest of the info and not what schools you applied to.....I am almost sure of it because I saw the printout AMCAS sends to schools.....the layout is totally different than what we get...

Code Brown

Low man on the totem pole
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
PhotoMD said:
By the way guys, just to clarify. It's not March 15, it's March 30, when adcoms have to fill their classes. And May 15 is the day they get to see where you are holding acceptances, and they can revoke acceptances if you do not choose to enroll by that date.
We went through this a couple of weeks ago.

It's March 16th, not the 30th. It was March 30th in 2002 because, from what I read somewhere, that was the year when AMCAS went fully online and they had big problems and everything was late so they gave everyone an extension. Anyway, the 16th is the day that everyone can see where you have been accepted (this is directly from the mouth of the Director of Admissions at a school I interviewed at, information that was verified by a number of others here on SDN who heard the same thing at other interviews). May 15th is the day that they can contact you to ask you what you plan on doing (April 15th in the case of Wake and other schools that start before July 31st) and also the day that they can revoke your spot for being indecisive (although my guess is that they'll probably give you a few days to decide after they talk to you).

PhotoMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
NYC
Status
Medical Student
Code Brown said:

It's March 16th, not the 30th. It was March 30th in 2002 because, from what I read somewhere, that was the year when AMCAS went fully online and they had big problems and everything was late so they gave everyone an extension. Anyway, the 16th is the day that everyone can see where you have been accepted (this is directly from the mouth of the Director of Admissions at a school I interviewed at, information that was verified by a number of others here on SDN who heard the same thing at other interviews). May 15th is the day that they can contact you to ask you what you plan on doing (April 15th in the case of Wake and other schools that start before July 31st) and also the day that they can revoke your spot for being indecisive (although my guess is that they'll probably give you a few days to decide after they talk to you).
Your theory is proven wrong by the fact that I know of at least one school (University of Washington) that won't have its class full by Mar. 16. Also, the rules were not as such in 2002 because AMCAS was having problems -- these rules (guidelines, really) are put forth by the AAMC, they're on AAMC's web site, and are quite distinct from AMCAS.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Code Brown said:

Not sure exactly what you are saying in your last sentence, but I'm pretty sure you may not be holding more than one acceptance past the May 15 date, so I don't think you can get a few days to decide if they call you on May 15 and thereafter. :confused:

Code Brown

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
PhotoMD said:
Your theory is proven wrong by the fact that I know of at least one school (University of Washington) that won't have its class full by Mar. 16. Also, the rules were not as such in 2002 because AMCAS was having problems -- these rules (guidelines, really) are put forth by the AAMC, they're on AAMC's web site, and are quite distinct from AMCAS.
Schools are supposed to follow the rules but all don't (this is why Tulane accepts people before Oct 15th.)

Here is a copy from a previous thread:

We were also told the same thing by the director of admissions at an interview. Apparently, after March 16th, schools can "see" the list of acceptances that an applicant is holding. (This is not explicitely written down in the AAMC guidelines but is apparently the real deal).

Here is the official word from AAMC:

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/acceptprocedures.pdf

After March 16th, schools must notify AAMC of any acceptances they give out within 7 days (all schools have access to this database):

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

Also, please note that if you are holding an acceptance at a school that starts Prior to July 31st, the day beyond which you can hold no more than 1 acceptance is April 15th (off the top of my head, I know that this applies only to Wake Forest).

Here is the old thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=182595&highlight=March+16th

Code Brown

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
Law2Doc said:
Not sure exactly what you are saying in your last sentence, but I'm pretty sure you may not be holding more than one acceptance past the May 15 date, so I don't think you can get a few days to decide if they call you on May 15 and thereafter. :confused:
From what the Director of Admissions said, if they see you holding more than one acceptance after May 15th, they will call you and demand that you make a decision within a couple of days. Of course, I suppose some schools could decide to just drop you without notice too.

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
KNOTSville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Code Brown said:
From what the Director of Admissions said, if they see you holding more than one acceptance after May 15th, they will call you and demand that you make a decision within a couple of days. Of course, I suppose some schools could decide to just drop you without notice too.
some schools will automatically drop you from their entering class if you are holding onto more than one spot after may 15th

sunsweet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
Status
So on March 15/16 do schools see where you've been accepted, or where you're holding a spot?

I guess it looks bad if you're still holding too many spots?

leechy

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2004
Status
Sunsweet, not sure about the answer to your question. This issue still hasn't been resolved to my satisfaction.

Some say schools can see where else you've been accepted tomorrow, while some say they can't until later. I'm skeptical of the former possibility, because it would seem to give an unfair advantage to those schools who have post-15th acceptance days. They would have a better idea of who would actually matriculate if accepted, and that would help them boost matriculation rates. I would think all schools would hand out acceptances post-15th if that were true. But, most people say it is true. So I don't know what to think. :confused:

Croatalus_atrox

Philosopher of Doom
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Status
Attending Physician
leechy said:
Some say schools can see where else you've been accepted tomorrow, while some say they can't until later. I'm skeptical of the former possibility, because it would seem to give an unfair advantage to those schools who have post-15th acceptance days. They would have a better idea of who would actually matriculate if accepted, and that would help them boost matriculation rates. I would think all schools would hand out acceptances post-15th if that were true. But, most people say it is true. So I don't know what to think. :confused:
I'm settling this debate once and for all

I called the admissions committees of the schools where I've been accepted and some others. Without exception, they said that they can find out where the applicants have been accepted at ANY TIME, if they so choose. There is a master list that gets released sometime around March, but admissions directors can log into a site on AAMC and check on their applicants' acceptances whenever they want. All of the adcoms I contacted said they don't consult the list to make admissions decisions, though.

The answer was the same from Pritzker, Dartmouth, WashU, SIU, and UMich. I'd say that we can put this damn question to rest already.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Croatalus_atrox said:
I'm settling this debate once and for all

I called the admissions committees of the schools where I've been accepted and some others. Without exception, they said that they can find out where the applicants have been accepted at ANY TIME, if they so choose. There is a master list that gets released sometime around March, but admissions directors can log into a site on AAMC and check on their applicants' acceptances whenever they want. All of the adcoms I contacted said they don't consult the list to make admissions decisions, though.

The answer was the same from Pritzker, Dartmouth, WashU, SIU, and UMich. I'd say that we can put this damn question to rest already.
Well, even if they can "check" at any time, there must be a date on which schools are obligated to let AMCAS know who has been accepted. The fact that eg. Dartmouth can check on a candidate's acceptances "now" does them no good if the schools you have been accepted to haven't given AMCAS that info. Thus the date upon which the schools are obligated to provide AMCAS with such info is going to be the relevant date...

rugirlie

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2003
jersey
Visit site
Status
I don't know what the official date signifies, but like the previous poster, I too was told that schools know now where you're HOLDING a spot. At my interview on Friday, an ADCOM member was telling us the whole process about how if you get waitlisted, then you must write like a 3 paragraph persuasive essay but only to do it if its your first choice and she goes, this young lady sent us a letter 2 days ago telling us that, and she is holding at 5 other schools, so we know she was bull****ting. She was like we know where else you're holding spots, so don't try and get one over on us by writing a letter, when we're not really your top choice. I don't know if this is because other ADCOMs talk or what, but it seems like its something more organized than this. Who knows?

steroplasma

10+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2004
Status
Law2Doc said:
On March 15, schools are required to have issued a number of acceptances that is at least as great as the size of the first-year entering class, and reported this info back to AMCAS.
So does this mean that if you have no acceptances by the 3/15 and your file had not gone to the adcom yet post interview you are most likely going to be waitlisted ?

ramblinwreckie

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2005
Status
rugirlie said:
I don't know what the official date signifies, but like the previous poster, I too was told that schools know now where you're HOLDING a spot. At my interview on Friday, an ADCOM member was telling us the whole process about how if you get waitlisted, then you must write like a 3 paragraph persuasive essay but only to do it if its your first choice and she goes, this young lady sent us a letter 2 days ago telling us that, and she is holding at 5 other schools, so we know she was bull****ting. She was like we know where else you're holding spots, so don't try and get one over on us by writing a letter, when we're not really your top choice. I don't know if this is because other ADCOMs talk or what, but it seems like its something more organized than this. Who knows?
That doesn't make sense to me. How does that adcom know it isn't her top choice? Even if she is holding a bunch of other spots, it could still easily be her top choice.

rugirlie

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2003
jersey
Visit site
Status
ramblinwreckie said:
That doesn't make sense to me. How does that adcom know it isn't her top choice? Even if she is holding a bunch of other spots, it could still easily be her top choice.

I know, I agree, and that may be the case, but that doesn't matter. What matters is what the ADCOM thinks since they're the ones that make the decisions. I'm just telling you what was said straight from the horse's mouth.

Croatalus_atrox

Philosopher of Doom
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Status
Attending Physician
Law2Doc said:
Well, even if they can "check" at any time, there must be a date on which schools are obligated to let AMCAS know who has been accepted. The fact that eg. Dartmouth can check on a candidate's acceptances "now" does them no good if the schools you have been accepted to haven't given AMCAS that info. Thus the date upon which the schools are obligated to provide AMCAS with such info is going to be the relevant date...
That part is in the AAMC Recommendations for Medical School Admissions Officers. Before March 15, AAMC "recommends" that medical schools notify the AAMC of admissions actions within 4 weeks of the decision. After March 16th, the AAMC wants medical schools to notify them within 1 week of the admissions decision. The AAMC also recommends that medical schools issue a number of acceptances equal to their expected 1st year class size by March 30. Worst case scenario, the AAMC is notified of each medical schools minimum number of acceptances by mid-April.

Code Brown

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2004
Florida
Status
Attending Physician
internet said:
can they see where you have interviewed?
No, only where you've been accepted. Btw, thanks for clearing things up rugirlie! :thumbup:

rugirlie

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2003
jersey
Visit site
Status
2tall said:
Why would it matter whether schools know where you interviewed/you've been accepted? Who cares and why would you? Am I missing something?

Let's just assume they know!

Are you kidding? This totally influences that school's decision as whether to accept you or not. If you are holding a spot at a bunch of "better" schools, they're not gonna waste a spot on you. Its a major thing! Less likely, but also plausible, is that you may not have acceptances at anywhere "good", so they don't think you're good enough to take if other schools aren't taking you.

(Hope I didn't offend anyone, hence the quotes...)