Apr 10, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello, I wanted to ask yall's opinion on a study schedule since I am taking the exam on March 22, 2014. I work best when my days are detailed and I know what I will be doing. I am currently not in school and not working and devoting my full time to study. My base score was a 14 (I have been out of school for a few years). I know I want to focus on a different subject each day while incorporating at least 2-3 verbal passages a day. Below is a layout of what I do now; I just am confused as to how many chapters and such I should focus on a day, etc. Keep in mind I am using the TPR online materials and have the Kaplan and ExamCrackers books as well just for extra reference. I am using the schedule given by TPR as a layout. I also try to take a 5 minute break every hour or so.

5:00AM - Workout
08:00AM- Read an article from the Economist, Scientific American, and New Yorker
08:30AM - Redo one section from a completed AAMC/Go over it until I score a perfect score
10:00AM - Read a chapter/go over some questions
11:00AM- 2/3 Verbal Passages (switch between TPR and 101EC book)
12:00PM- 20 FSQ's/Go over them
1:00PM- Complete 1 or 2 Amplifires
02:30PM - Lunch
03:00PM - Read some more/go over some questions and do 3-4 passages
05:00PM - Go over trouble areas
08:00PM - Go home, eat dinner, and review flashcards
10:30PM - Sleep

I am aiming to get at least a 30 and know I can get there within the time I have. I just am more at ease with a schedule so please do relay what you think and if I should add/remove or change anything about it. I am also using Youtube and Khan Academy to explain difficult topics I do not understand which has been helping. I am going to try and focus on 1-2 chapters a day because I feel like more than that a day is hard to get in. I also have the Audio Osmosis notes that I listen to while I drive; however I focus mainly on Gen Chem and Bio for those since the others are basically pointless. I also plan on taking a practice exam once a week.

Thank you for your help and wish everyone who is taking an exam the best.

Feb 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
5:00AM - Workout
08:00AM- Read an article from the Economist, Scientific American, and New Yorker
08:30AM - Redo one section from a completed AAMC/Go over it until I score a perfect score
10:00AM - Read a chapter/go over some questions
11:00AM- 2/3 Verbal Passages (switch between TPR and 101EC book)
12:00PM- 20 FSQ's/Go over them
1:00PM- Complete 1 or 2 Amplifires
02:30PM - Lunch
03:00PM - Read some more/go over some questions and do 3-4 passages
05:00PM - Go over trouble areas
08:00PM - Go home, eat dinner, and review flashcards
10:30PM - Sleep
I need to take a lesson from you and your 5 am work outs ..... I can barely make it to the library by 11 am

your schedule looks good. Track your progress and find out what strategies work best for you.

Reactions: orangeblue
OP
texastech1989
Apr 10, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
@Havito123 Thanks for your reply....I actually just decided to move my exam to May. I realized one of the main problems I was having was that I was not doing enough questions every day. After speaking to multiple people who scored high on their MCAT, they told me to spend 75% of my time on questions because that's what gets you points. But best of luck to you on your exam

@jcb123 Haha it really does help. It makes me really ready for the day and I know I won't workout after I have been studying all day. Plus it allows me to get to bed early and allows me to keep up my healthy eating and no resort to junk food.

Jan 15, 2014
Status
Non-Student
@Havito123 Thanks for your reply....I actually just decided to move my exam to May. I realized one of the main problems I was having was that I was not doing enough questions every day. After speaking to multiple people who scored high on their MCAT, they told me to spend 75% of my time on questions because that's what gets you points. But best of luck to you on your exam

@jcb123 Haha it really does help. It makes me really ready for the day and I know I won't workout after I have been studying all day. Plus it allows me to get to bed early and allows me to keep up my healthy eating and no resort to junk food.
I am also taking the exam on March 22nd. How are you performing on your full length exams?

OP
texastech1989
Apr 10, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
I am also taking the exam on March 22nd. How are you performing on your full length exams?
Initial exam was a 14 then a 17 a few weeks later...both were AAMC's that I took in November. I took TPR #2 a few weeks ago and got a 14 which is why I am moving it back a bit. I want to be at a 30 consistently and am not there yet.