Marian vs Touro Middletown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocolatetherapy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm deciding between Marian and Touro Middletown and if anyone has some input or comments I would appreciate it! If you could comment on residency possibilities, school experience or anything else that would be great. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both are very focused on producing primary care physicians.

Well I know locationwise that Marian is in the city of Indianapolis, and also it's one of the only two medical schools in the state. Therefore, I imagine that you would have more opportunities at hospitals in that city verses New York which is packed with medical schools. However, I think it depends on where you want to practice in the long run, and what you are looking for in a school (geography, (Middletown is very rural), teaching style, pass rates on COMLEX) so there are many things to consider.
thanks for the reply!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! I interviewed at both as well. I think that the biggest differences were (1) curriculum and (2) location rural/urban, at least in my mind. Rotation network does seem to be more robust at Marian and it does seem like they've hit the ground running faster than Middletown. They were much more organized on interview day, at least, than Middletown.

Best of luck to you - go with your gut!

Hi! I interviewed at both as well. I think that the biggest differences were (1) curriculum and (2) location rural/urban, at least in my mind. Rotation network does seem to be more robust at Marian and it does seem like they've hit the ground running faster than Middletown. They were much more organized on interview day, at least, than Middletown.

Best of luck to you - go with your gut!

Which would you choose? I'm leaning towards Marian since there are only two medical schools in Indiana, so clinicals and even residency seems like it might be a bit easier compared to NY which has tons of schools + caribbean schools rotating there. Also the facilities at Marian were really impressive, while Touro seemed a little depressing. But do you think that the Touro name makes middletown a little better than Marian? or that doesn't really have much of an impact

Which would you choose? I'm leaning towards Marian since there are only two medical schools in Indiana, so clinicals and even residency seems like it might be a bit easier compared to NY which has tons of schools + caribbean schools rotating there. Also the facilities at Marian were really impressive, while Touro seemed a little depressing. But do you think that the Touro name makes middletown a little better than Marian? or that doesn't really have much of an impact

I know what you're saying about the Touro name, but I also think it's a pro that Marian is affiliated with a university (versus just being a standalone med school). I was at one of the 'off' interview days at Marian in October when it was really low-energy and dark dismal weather - but I agree that on the average Middletown absolutely seemed more depressing. I'm also a city girl so that's playing a large role in my choosing - no matter how great a curriculum is, if I feel isolated and depressed that's not going to be good for me personally OR professionally.

So to answer your first question: I respectfully declined my Touro Middletown admission yesterday and currently have a few tabs open checking out Indianapolis apartments (someone on another thread mentioned that the on-campus grad housing already has a waiting list). I've also got an acceptance to a third school and between the three of them I really felt that the Middletown environment just wasn't my cup of tea.

I know what you're saying about the Touro name, but I also think it's a pro that Marian is affiliated with a university (versus just being a standalone med school). I was at one of the 'off' interview days at Marian in October when it was really low-energy and dark dismal weather - but I agree that on the average Middletown absolutely seemed more depressing. I'm also a city girl so that's playing a large role in my choosing - no matter how great a curriculum is, if I feel isolated and depressed that's not going to be good for me personally OR professionally.

So to answer your first question: I respectfully declined my Touro Middletown admission yesterday and currently have a few tabs open checking out Indianapolis apartments (someone on another thread mentioned that the on-campus grad housing already has a waiting list). I've also got an acceptance to a third school and between the three of them I really felt that the Middletown environment just wasn't my cup of tea.

I agree with you! I like the fact that it's with a university and it is in a bigger city than Touro was. Thanks for all your input! I think I'm leaning towards Marian as well

Hey guys, I'm deciding between Marian and Touro Middletown and if anyone has some input or comments I would appreciate it! If you could comment on residency possibilities, school experience or anything else that would be great. thanks!

The faculty at Marian are winning awards left and right. These are people who come from Harvard, Vandy, Duke, WashU, and have all done some great things in terms of biomedical innovation and discovery and are STILL doing research.

Being able to learn the basic medical sciences from professors who are experts in their field allow you to engage in the most recent research (through that annoying minutiae they'll add to their slides of course) but it also gives you resources to participate in these incredible areas of research.