Marijuana and being a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

premedish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I smoke marijuana from time to time.

I find it enjoyable and less detrimental than alcohol.

But I want to be a doctor. Does that mean I should stop smoking weed? Does that fundamentally compromise me in some way?

In my opinion, marijuana is much less harmful (physically, not legally) than many substances that most of us (premeds) use on a regular basis. (Alcohol, tobacco, coffee, aspirin). But to be terribly honest, I need something to get me through. I dont smoke (cigarettes) I dont even drink coffee, but sometimes I need to unwind, and I find alcohol to be an unattractive alternative to marijuana.

If I need to unwind, I can smoke a joint, and be 100% back to normal in two hours (as opposed to alcohol which f%^&'s me up for at least 6ish hours). If I smoke some weed before I hit the bed for the night, I am rested and refreshed in the morning (as opposed to hung over).

I have friends who smoke often and I have friends who drink often. Personally I worry about the drinkers much more than the smokers.

So should I stop smoking? Should I start drinking?

It seems to me (from life experience, which I have had a little more than most pre-meds) that there are some very high functioning alcoholics, who are fully capable of becoming doctors. Or at least that some doctors are pushed to becoming high functioning alcoholics.

When I was shadowing a doc recently, a patient basically admitted to smoking weed. It went something like this.

Resident: "do you smoke?"
Patient: nervous smile and sideways glance "a little, you know, not really."

Resident: patient uses tobacco products rarely.
Me: patient smokes weed, and knows that his/her lungs will reflect that fact, but is not comfortable telling that to a doctor who may one day be the one who decides what pain medicine to give them.

I talked to the doc's about this backstage, they seemed to not pick up on that in a patient (when it was obvious to anyone with an open mind).

So does that mean that I am not doctor material. Does it have to be an us (the "upstanding") vs them (the "junkie/druggies"). I just don't know that I am willing to sacrifice my beliefs on the altar of a secure future.

Or perhaps in my advanced years, I am still to immature to put aside my feelings of right and wrong for the health of my 401K.

Members don't see this ad.

While I believe pot should be legal. Think about if you messed up and you tested positive for pot. You would be in deep ****. Not to mention random drug tests in hospitals and med-school.

That being said, if you have a two week vacation and you toke up one day, that is probably not a horrible thing. Just be aware of the risk. Personally, I would not risk it.

Also, if your decision of becoming a doctor hinges on whether or not you can smoke pot, you might want to evaluate how much pot is affecting your life.

What?!?!? Stop smoking weed and dont change it for alcohol !!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think med schools/hospitals test for weed, do they?

Man... U got to be kidding me w/ this kind of thread Lol

I don't think med schools/hospitals test for weed, do they?

Why would they not? Pot is one of the first drugs on all drug tests. Most drug tests are not drug specific, they test for a range of drugs, including pot.

Also, if your decision of becoming a doctor hinges on whether or not you can smoke pot, you might want to evaluate how much pot is affecting your life.

A very valid point. I think that I have come across wrong. I don't need to smoke weed. In fact I have gone without for several months at a time. However I recognize the fact that when I do not smoke weed, I do drink alcohol. Which in itself is probably what you are referring to about how much intoxicants affect my life.

But in the same vein, how often do you drink coffee? Could you stop tomorrow?

I guess my main point was how can I pursue a career in a field where I am charged with a patients care, but we (doctor and patient) must ignore/side-step the fact that the patient may be doing "illegal" drugs. How can it be okay to turn a blind eye to that, especially when you are in charge of the patient's biochemical pain management?

A very valid point. I think that I have come across wrong. I don't need to smoke weed. In fact I have gone without for several months at a time. However I recognize the fact that when I do not smoke weed, I do drink alcohol. Which in itself is probably what you are referring to about how much intoxicants affect my life.

I guess my main point was how can I pursue a career in a field where I am charged with a patients care, but we (doctor and patient) must ignore/side-step the fact that the patient may be doing "illegal" drugs. How can it be okay to turn a blind eye to that, especially when you are in charge of the patient's biochemical pain management?

If you don't want to, you don't have to.

Why would they not? Pot is one of the first drugs on all drug tests. Most drug tests are not drug specific, they test for a range of drugs, including pot.

Most drug tests test for all illegal drugs.

Its not that weed is #1 on their list. It is the fact that weed stays in your system much longer than all other "real" drugs (ie cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine). Which is in itself a travesty in my opinion.

If you don't want to, you don't have to.

Ahh the wise jimmerjammermrk has spoken. Obviously I have already formed the opinion that I did not want to be a doctor (hence the thread about it) thanks a ton, jackass.

Reactions: 1 user
So I smoke marijuana from time to time.

I find it enjoyable and less detrimental than alcohol.

But I want to be a doctor. Does that mean I should stop smoking weed? Does that fundamentally compromise me in some way?

In my opinion, marijuana is much less harmful (physically, not legally) than many substances that most of us (premeds) use on a regular basis. (Alcohol, tobacco, coffee, aspirin). But to be terribly honest, I need something to get me through. I dont smoke (cigarettes) I dont even drink coffee, but sometimes I need to unwind, and I find alcohol to be an unattractive alternative to marijuana.

If I need to unwind, I can smoke a joint, and be 100% back to normal in two hours (as opposed to alcohol which f%^&'s me up for at least 6ish hours). If I smoke some weed before I hit the bed for the night, I am rested and refreshed in the morning (as opposed to hung over).

I have friends who smoke often and I have friends who drink often. Personally I worry about the drinkers much more than the smokers.

So should I stop smoking? Should I start drinking?

It seems to me (from life experience, which I have had a little more than most pre-meds) that there are some very high functioning alcoholics, who are fully capable of becoming doctors. Or at least that some doctors are pushed to becoming high functioning alcoholics.

When I was shadowing a doc recently, a patient basically admitted to smoking weed. It went something like this.

Resident: "do you smoke?"
Patient: nervous smile and sideways glance "a little, you know, not really."

Resident: patient uses tobacco products rarely.
Me: patient smokes weed, and knows that his/her lungs will reflect that fact, but is not comfortable telling that to a doctor who may one day be the one who decides what pain medicine to give them.

I talked to the doc's about this backstage, they seemed to not pick up on that in a patient (when it was obvious to anyone with an open mind).

So does that mean that I am not doctor material. Does it have to be an us (the "upstanding") vs them (the "junkie/druggies"). I just don't know that I am willing to sacrifice my beliefs on the altar of a secure future.

Or perhaps in my advanced years, I am still to immature to put aside my feelings of right and wrong for the health of my 401K.

Just a correction, marijuana is not more physically harmful than coffee or aspirin. That's just silly.

Here's my question to you: Would you want YOUR doctor to be a regular marijuana smoker?

Let's say you catch him outside the hospital, in some dark alley or something, and you say: "Hey! We have an appointment today. you're not smoking weed are you?"

And he says, "Our appointment's not for another two hours. Trust me, marijuana only affects me for under two hours. See you then!"

Is this reassuring to you?

Its not that weed is #1 on their list. It is the fact that weed stays in your system much longer than all other "real" drugs (ie cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine). Which is in itself a travesty in my opinion.

Does anybody know how long nicotine stays in our system(organism)????

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

My opinion, or yours is not the issue. I mean scientifically pot is way less harmful than alcohol. But what is important is that pot is currently an illegal drug.

As far as dealing with patient that are on drugs. It is your job to give them options. There is a difference between a person who smokes pot every once in a while and a person that shoots heroin. It is up to you to use to make the best decision.

Yes, I could stop drinking coffee. I am not exactly coming to you from a square point of view either. Back in my high school days I did my fare share of partying. But when I decided what my goals in life were, I put that stuff aside and figured out what was really important. Now, I rarely even have a drink. But that is just me.

Even if they dont why the hell to smoke weed????

Why the hell smoke cigarettes? Why the hell drink alcohol? Marijuana, if smoked occasionally, is certainly less addictive and less destructive to the body than those two.

I'm not advocating smoking weed, but it's no more destructive a vice than the legal ones, medically speaking.

Let's say you catch him outside the hospital, in some dark alley or something, and you say: "Hey! We have an appointment today. you're not smoking weed are you?"

And he says, "Our appointment's not for another two hours. Trust me, marijuana only affects me for under two hours. See you then!"
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just a correction, marijuana is not more physically harmful than coffee or aspirin. That's just silly.

Here's my question to you: Would you want YOUR doctor to be a regular marijuana smoker?

That's a little bit absurd, isn't it? I would feel uncomfortable, obviously, but no moreso than if I saw him drinking a few hours before our appointment.

Should all doctors stop drinking as well?

You clearly have no idea how marijuana affects a person. You can overdose from caffine (and become physically addicted, but that is beside the point) and you can also overdose from aspirin. Marijuana you can not.

If my doctor smoked weed I would not have a problem with it. If he showed up high to an appointment I would, but I would also have a bigger problem if he showed up drunk.

As far as whatever alley situation you were trying to describe, I would be much more worried if my doctor was drunk vs being high. But I don't know of anyone who "needs" to smoke weed so much that they lurk in alleys between patients....

Why the hell smoke cigarettes? Why the hell drink alcohol? Marijuana, if smoked occasionally, is certainly less addictive and less destructive to the body than those two.

I'm not advocating smoking weed, but it's no more destructive a vice than the legal ones, medically speaking.
Chill, i am not trying to put u down... Everybody knows what causes marijuana, and i am not judging u. If i did offend u, then, i am sorry.

To be perfectly honest, I didn't realize that hospitals did random drug testing very often.

Something to think about, for sure, though it doesn't effect me too terribly much.

Does anybody know how long nicotine stays in or system(organism)????

Apparently this is variable from several days to months depending on if you're an occasional or habitual smoker.

Chill, i am not trying to put u down... Everybody knows what causes marijuana, and i am not judging u. If i did offend u, then, i am sorry.

No offense taken! The 'hell' in my post was just playing off the 'hell' in yours, nothing more.

The subject holds no real personal importance to me whatsoever, I'm just discussing it for discussion's sake.

Looks like u are an anti caffeine person....

Really? What causes marijuana? Is it cannabis sativa seeds or is it cheech and chong movies?

You clearly have no idea how marijuana affects a person. You can overdose from caffine (and become physically addicted, but that is beside the point) and you can also overdose from aspirin. Marijuana you can not.

If my doctor smoked weed I would not have a problem with it. If he showed up high to an appointment I would, but I would also have a bigger problem if he showed up drunk.

As far as whatever alley situation you were trying to describe, I would be much more worried if my doctor was drunk vs being high. But I don't know of anyone who "needs" to smoke weed so much that they lurk in alleys between patients....

"You can overdose from caffine (and become physically addicted, but that is beside the point) and you can also overdose from aspirin. Marijuana you can not."

Hmmm.. using this logic of yours- Coffee and aspirin is more dangerous than tobacco too because, after all, you can't overdose from smoking cigarettes.

Brilliant!!

Looks like u are an anti caffeine person....

Very astute. I do not drink coffee or tea, and very rarely drink caffeinated soft drinks. Although I profess less than puritan reasons for this.

"You can overdose from caffine (and become physically addicted, but that is beside the point) and you can also overdose from aspirin. Marijuana you can not."

Hmmm.. using this logic of yours- Coffee and aspirin is more dangerous than tobacco too because, after all, you can't overdose from smoking cigarettes.

Brilliant!!

http://www.gumauctions.com/article/1085/Nicotine-Overdose-Symptoms/

overdoses on nicotine. I challenge you to find me the study where someone overdoses on THC.

and that search cost me all of 30 seconds.

I don't know what causes marijuana.... Is it when two weeds love each other very much?....etc...etc. ;)

That said, I think I'll invent a blight inducing fungus that only kills marijuana plants and spread it everywhere. Suppose that would increase the use for more harmful drugs including alcohol?

To be perfectly honest, I didn't realize that hospitals did random drug testing very often.

Something to think about, for sure, though it doesn't effect me too terribly much.

my school has us turn in a yearly drug test, but not random. i think they have to tell you if random tests will be done. i guess you can just be careful about timing your usage to avoid having it in your body before the drug test deadline. and you could do a lot worse than smoke a few joints on the weekends.

Personally, I want my doctor to be the epitome of perfect health and clean living.

I wouldn't want to see a doctor that depends on alcohol every day to relax, so why would I want to see a doctor that relies on pot to relax.

Would you want to see a nutritionist that gorges on food to relax?

http://www.gumauctions.com/article/1085/Nicotine-Overdose-Symptoms/

overdoses on nicotine. I challenge you to find me the study where someone overdoses on THC.

and that search cost me all of 30 seconds.

Yay! I get to use your logic again: Since many people overdose on vending machines each year (JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association), Nov. 11, 1988, p. 2697, "Soda Pop Vending Machine Injuries".), that must mean they're more dangerous than tobacco and marijuana use!

and that search cost me all of 90 seconds.

I heard marijuana causes your lungs to explode

Personally, I want my doctor to be the epitome of perfect health and clean living.

I wouldn't want to see a doctor that depends on alcohol every day to relax, so why would I want to see a doctor that relies on pot to relax.

Would you want to see a nutritionist that gorges on food to relax?

so should alcohol be banned for anyone in healthcare? no.

only if you keep puffing instead of puff puff pass. sharing is caring
I heard you can get an STD if you share a bong

Back to the original post..... my concern would be whether or not you would be able to consistently show up. Class, work, etc. Generally, how reliable are marijuana users? I don't hire marijuana users if I can help it.

I'm curious. Reply if you guys know many high functioning potheads as a little informal poll. I don't know any.

Yay! I get to use your logic again: Since many people overdose on vending machines each year (JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association), Nov. 11, 1988, p. 2697, "Soda Pop Vending Machine Injuries".), that must mean they're more dangerous than tobacco and marijuana use!

and that search cost me all of 90 seconds.

I guarantee you that vending machine use causes more phyiscal harm than marijuana use, and I didnt even have to search for that!

medical-marijuana.jpg

lalalalalalala Lol

That's a little bit absurd, isn't it? I would feel uncomfortable, obviously, but no moreso than if I saw him drinking a few hours before our appointment.

Should all doctors stop drinking as well?

You can't drink on the job either, and drug tests also test for alcohol content, so if you're intoxicated or drank heavily within the last 12 hours you'd fail the test too.

If you're going to be a physician, be an example to the public. Socio-political-economical reasons aside, just based on health and safety alone illicit drugs of any kind are terrible for you. Just as much as I don't want my doctor to be toking, I don't want him or her to be getting hammered on a regular basis either. People need to grow up and take responsibility for themselves and set a proper example for patients. Unless of course you want to practice 'do as I say not as I do'. Ideally health care personnel should refrain from smoking and chewing tobacco as well, since those right there have been proven to cause cancer and many other health risks. [you do realize smoking of any kind is atrocious for your lungs right? and despite what your high times may say, you're risk for lung cancer and other pulmonary disorders are just as bad if not worse than tobacco smoking? sorry to break the inconvenient truth to you] I'm glad my university and associated hospitals have banned smoking on campus.

Back to the original post..... my concern would be whether or not you would be able to consistently show up. Class, work, etc. Generally, how reliable are marijuana users? I don't hire marijuana users if I can help it.

I'm curious. Reply if you guys know many high functioning potheads as a little informal poll. I don't know any.

Studies show that the REAL bad side effect of mary-jane is that it makes you lazy as hell if you smoke it all the time, that is the truth.

Studies show that the REAL bad side effect of mary-jane is that it makes you lazy as hell if you smoke it all the time, that is the truth.

that's why there's ritalin when you're trying to get focused again

a significant percentage of my class has done/still do various illegal drugs from anecdotal experience. many are near the top of the class.

on another note, many students at northside college prep in chicago (one of the best in illinois) use marijuana. i'd be interested to see if rates are similar to non-magnet schools. it seems top students are pretty efficient at not getting caught.

I know a couple people who smoke occasionally at parties or on a weekend if the thought strikes them. They aren't potheads... but they also aren't impeded by their drug any more than someone who occasionally drinks at a party.

However, I would not smoke marijuana as a physician because of the risk of getting caught. I don't use substances myself, but believe that if marijuana was legal and a physician smoked on occasion that it would be no different than drinking on occasion. Today marijuana is not legal, so you probably shouldn't do it.

I have a 3.8.

Not claiming to be a pothead though. But I smoke when I feel it. If you are irresponsible enough to smoke right before a class/work than you don't ever have to worry about being a doc. I however think that I have a legitimate shot at it.

Most presidents have admitted to smoking pot (although admittedly that doesnt qualify as a high functioning pothead).

A family friend ran a successful real estate business and raised 4 kids while smoking weed (and imo qualifying as a pothead) it didnt seem to do him any harm.

You don't know any high functioning potheads, because they wont come out of the closet to you. But I guarantee you they are there....

lets make weed mandatory for gunners

Status
Not open for further replies.