Marijuana and being a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I want my doctor to be the epitome of perfect health and clean living.

Really?? I personally think this is kind of backwards. Doctors are humans too, and I would want mine to act like one. I would be more comfortable talking to a doctor who isn't on a high horse, judging those below who smoke pot and/or drink occasionally.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.gumauctions.com/article/1085/Nicotine-Overdose-Symptoms/

overdoses on nicotine. I challenge you to find me the study where someone overdoses on THC.

and that search cost me all of 30 seconds.

Nicotine and THC aren't the main issue here though concerning your health (though THC has debilitating effects on your mental performance which is one reason why as a health care profession you shouldn't be toking, you should be at peak mental performance- so maybe THC is the main point). Who cares if you can't overdose on something? Its not the nicotine or THC that causes lung problems and head and neck cancers, its all the other crap you're breathing in.

Back to the original post..... my concern would be whether or not you would be able to consistently show up. Class, work, etc. Generally, how reliable are marijuana users? I don't hire marijuana users if I can help it.

I'm curious. Reply if you guys know many high functioning potheads as a little informal poll. I don't know any.

me and many of my friends smoke...not too frequently but on occasion...and we turned out ok

the only discrimination you need imo, is separating your personal and professional life...i.e. if you're taking exams high, you have a problem

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.8.

Not claiming to be a pothead though. But I smoke when I feel it. If you are irresponsible enough to smoke right before a class/work than you don't ever have to worry about being a doc. I however think that I have a legitimate shot at it.

Most presidents have admitted to smoking pot (although admittedly that doesnt qualify as a high functioning pothead).

A family friend ran a successful real estate business and raised 4 kids while smoking weed (and imo qualifying as a pothead) it didnt seem to do him any harm.

You don't know any high functioning potheads, because they wont come out of the closet to you. But I guarantee you they are there....

but hopefully they don't smoke and drive

Nicotine and THC aren't the main issue here though concerning your health (though THC has debilitating effects on your mental performance which is one reason why as a health care profession you shouldn't be toking, you should be at peak mental performance- so maybe THC is the main point). Who cares if you can't overdose on something? Its not the nicotine or THC that causes lung problems and head and neck cancers, its all the other crap you're breathing in.

I think you started with a valid point to make, but lost it in the ether. I don't think you can find a situation where someone got cancer from smoking weed. I will readily admit that it has negative side effects, but cancer is not a statistically significant one.

I think you started with a valid point to make, but lost it in the ether. I don't think you can find a situation where someone got cancer from smoking weed. I will readily admit that it has negative side effects, but cancer is not a statistically significant one.

it would be a concern if someone smoked several joints daily for a number of years. but your food budget would have to be huge.

but hopefully they don't smoke and drive

I know several med students who drive drunk. It's ridiculous.

Med students I've known who used marijuana were the 70 = md/do types. Definitely not top of the class.

Employees I've had over the past 8 months who were obvious marijuana users did not last long. All fired for the same reasons, either not showing up or not doing their jobs.

the only discrimination you need imo, is separating your personal and professional life...i.e. if you're taking exams high, you have a problem

I agree. But if you are taking exams drunk, you probably have a problem as well. And that problem is not likely to include medical school.

Some people take things to illogical extremes. Several people have drunk too much water and died, but that does not mean that someone who drinks water is an addict.

it would be a concern if someone smoked several joints daily for a number of years. but your food budget would have to be huge.

I'm not even high and I got some hella giggles out of that one.

I like you tjaze!

You should really start looking things up before you post stuff like this.

Are you high... right now?

Just a correction, marijuana is not more physically harmful than coffee or aspirin. That's just silly.

Here's my question to you: Would you want YOUR doctor to be a regular marijuana smoker?

Let's say you catch him outside the hospital, in some dark alley or something, and you say: "Hey! We have an appointment today. you're not smoking weed are you?"

And he says, "Our appointment's not for another two hours. Trust me, marijuana only affects me for under two hours. See you then!"

Is this reassuring to you?

WOw that is a really dumb argument. Using the same logic, you could catch you surgeon drinking two hours before going into surgery, does that then mean they should never be able to enjoy a drink?

Members don't see this ad :)
Notice though, that people who claim that they, are someone they know, are great students etc. while smoking pot, ALL say that said user is only doing so every once in a while.

You should really start looking things up before you post stuff like this.

Are you high... right now?

So find me a case where someone got cancer from smoking weed. I have honestly never heard of one.

There was one instance where a doc (UK or canada?) put down mj as cause of death. But that is the only one I have ever heard of. Please let me know if you have some info that I am not privy too. I have an open mind and welcome the new info.

Let me know when you can find a death that can be 100% attributed to the smoking of Marijuana.. when you do that, then come talk..

Let me know when you can find a death that can be 100% attributed to the smoking of Marijuana.. when you do that, then come talk..

This is what big tobacco said a few years ago. You can also not find a death that can be 100% attributed to the smoking of tobacco.

The whole discussion is kind of irrelevant at this point. The fact is that it is illegal as of now, and as a doc engaging in illegal activities puts your license at risk.

This is what big tobacco said a few years ago. You can also not find a death that can be 100% attributed to the smoking of tobacco.

Okay, okay you have got us there.

find two cases (because I have heard of one) where marijuana is indicated (at all) in a death or major illness. That should be super easy for you. You seem to have all of the anti marijuana propaganda memorized.

newsflash

med students STILL smoke weed.

no need to be all paranoid that you're not going to fit in b/c nobody around you smokes

The whole discussion is kind of irrelevant at this point. The fact is that it is illegal as of now, and as a doc engaging in illegal activities puts your license at risk.

So a doc who is speeding should lose his medical license?

What about a doc who jaywalks?

A doc who engages in sodomy? (I am pretty sure that is still illegal in my state)

WOw that is a really dumb argument. Using the same logic, you could catch you surgeon drinking two hours before going into surgery, does that then mean they should never be able to enjoy a drink?

You have to place the post you quoted of mine in context with the original post.

It said that he was sober after two hours of smoking marijuana.

So my question to him was- would he feel comfortable seeing a doctor two hours after he got done smoking weed. After the doctor tells him that he's sober after two hours.

Look, the point is, regardless of the dangers relative to alcohol, it's currently illegal. If you get caught more than once, you're probably looking at a felony, and felony's don't work well with licensing. Getting caught once wouldn't be the greatest thing in the world either.

newsflash

med students STILL smoke weed.

no need to be all paranoid that you're not going to fit in b/c nobody around you smokes

Really?

Even I have trouble believing that.

But it makes me feel better regardless. Thanks hale.

Notice though, that people who claim that they, are someone they know, are great students etc. while smoking pot, ALL say that said user is only doing so every once in a while.

But the original poster started off the thread talking about how he did it only occasionally, and later elucidated further by saying he's gone months and months without smoking weed.

All the posts referring to 'functional potheads' and people that smoke '2 or 3 joints a day' are essentially off topic in the discussion at hand.

Doing ANYTHING to excess is dangerous and destructive, in any number of ways, and I think that should go without saying.

That said, the smartest guy I know is a functional pothead. Goes to class high, does homework high, studies high, takes exams high. He's not in med school, he's a graduate student working in a lab, but he's quite absurd.

I know plenty of the flip side too, smart kids who got into it and never got out. It's rough.

I know several med students who drive drunk. It's ridiculous.

Med students I've known who used marijuana were the 70 = md/do types. Definitely not top of the class.

Employees I've had over the past 8 months who were obvious marijuana users did not last long. All fired for the same reasons, either not showing up or not doing their jobs.

i know personally that there are several kids competitive for ROAD specialties who use mj now and then, but they're more likely to keep it quiet. and the ones who get fired wouldn't last even if they didn't smoke weed.

but in all seriousness, mind altering things and driving are a big no no. i would support the death penalty for those that do.

A doc who engages in sodomy? (I am pretty sure that is still illegal in my state)

:rolleyes: Hey, it's your career. You didn't come here for opinions, you came here to argue your point. Just go smoka your reefa and hope you don't get busted.

Look, the point is, regardless of the dangers relative to alcohol, it's currently illegal. If you get caught more than once, you're probably looking at a felony, and felony's don't work well with licensing. Getting caught once wouldn't be the greatest thing in the world either.

Too true, ultimately not worth the risk, although this depends on where you are.

For all you potheads, I recommend looking into University of Michigan - Smoking in Ann Arbor is a 50 dollar fine and a misdemeanor.

You have to place the post you quoted of mine in context with the original post.

It said that he was sober after two hours of smoking marijuana.

So my question to him was- would he feel comfortable seeing a doctor two hours after he got done smoking weed. After the doctor tells him that he's sober after two hours.

Have you ever smoked weed?

You are straight after 2 hours.

Although a physician doesn't really have 2 extra hours to take out of the middle of the day, which is (only part of) what made you previous statement so ridiculous.

I don't make up the rules, I am just stating them. I am not advocating either way, and I think that you would see that by reading my previous posts.

But the fact remains, illegal activities put a doc's license in question. But if you want to risk it go ahead.

Although a physician doesn't really have 2 extra hours to take out of the middle of the day, which is (only part of) what made you previous statement so ridiculous.

If you think it is acceptable to smoke a joint and then cut someone open two hours later you are seriously mistaken.

:laugh:

For all you potheads, I recommend looking into University of Michigan - Smoking in Ann Arbor is a 50 dollar fine and a misdemeanor.

mental note taken....

now how to get residency in michigan.......:rolleyes:

Speeding and jay walking aren't going to effect how you treat your patients; pot on the other hand, can since long term use can lead to psychosis.

Man SDN cant change ur view point on marijuana use. I've known ppl who smoked pot occasionally, they got in to med schools (not the best or even good ones), but in very very late age... (they drinked as well). However look here, how do u immagine to be a pre med? Smoke weed from time to time, drink, parties, girls and etc... ??? Its never going to happen because when you are a pre med student u got to take bunch of science classes (usually 3-4 classes per quarter), u do reaserch, volunteer and u might have to get a job. With this schedule u will just think about ur 5 hours of sleep, and u will have this kind of life for several years. Then, med school, and it is way harder! So, u really need to decide if medicine is ur thing, we all sacrifice something for our dream, and u will have to sacrifice something too

Speeding and jay walking aren't going to effect how you treat your patients; pot on the other hand, can since long term use can lead to psychosis.

Lets not make stuff up just to prove a point, there are many more logical reasons than that.

mental note taken....

now how to get residency in michigan.......:rolleyes:

And there is even one day a year - Dubbed "Hash Bash" - that is dedicated to celebrating weed. Concerts on the diag, people smoking outdoors. It's a blow out. :)

Man SDN cant change ur view point on marijuana use. I've known ppl who smoked pot occasionally, they got in to med schools (not the best or even good ones), but in very very late age... (they drinked as well). However look here, how do u immagine to be a pre med? Smoke weed from time to time, drink, parties, girls and etc... ??? Its never going to happen because when you are a pre med student u got to take bunch of science classes (usually 3-4 classes per quarter), u do reaserch, volunteer and u might have to get a job. With this schedule u will just think about ur 5 hours of sleep, and u will have this kind of life for several years. Then, med school, and it is way harder! So, u really need to decide if medicine is ur thing, we all sacrifice something for our dream, and u will have to sacrifice something too

My med school friends all work very hard for very long periods of time, but binge drink after their exams, so it isn't as if you become a monk upon entering the university.

I would get a new dealer if this were the case. :cool:

Are u pre-med, med or what?

If you think it is acceptable to smoke a joint and then cut someone open two hours later you are seriously mistaken.

Okay chman pushes me to an extreme. I would not want a doc to cut me open two hours after smoking weed. However neither would I want a doc with a hangover cutting me open, or someone who is on hour 16 of their 24 hour shift.

If you are going to open me up I want you to be alert and well rested. If its just a visit though, I would trust your judgement and reasoning skills.

However I stand by my statement that you are no longer intoxicated 2 hours (ish) after smoking weed. But it will sure take a lot out of you!

I don't think anyone (anyone!) should be smoking weed before doing something important. Like people said, if you take a test high, or go to court high, you clearly have a problem. If you have a smoke at home after finishing my 18 hour spinal fusion, more power to you. You deserve it.

Wow, there's a lot of ignorance flying around in this thread. I always love the "weed should be legal!" cries. Hey, I agree. Legalize it, stop wasting our tax dollars, and bring in some revenue instead. Awesome. However, weed is illegal, while alcohol and cigarettes and whatever else you may compare marijuana to are legal. Deal with it. All the well-founded arguments in the world won't change that before you apply, so suck it up. The same goes for when you're practicing. If you don't want to get busted for smoking weed, don't smoke weed. Hey!
I don't think you can find a situation where someone got cancer from smoking weed. I will readily admit that it has negative side effects, but cancer is not a statistically significant one.
It's smoke that's the carcinogen, not nicotine. Sorry.

People sure go to great lengths/risks to smoke their marijuana that they could give up whenever they wanted :)

Lets not make stuff up just to prove a point, there are many more logical reasons than that.

There is a strong association with future psychosis in some individuals. I'm not sure if they've narrowed down many of the specific risk factors though. Family history of psychosis is one. They've done twin studies and such. Unfortunately, I don't have access to reputable sources anymore since I'm not currently in school. My psych prof at XCOM always did a big lecture on marijuana and correlations/associations etc., and psychosis was one of the potential risks.

nuh uh. there is only evidence that marijuana use can increase the risk of schizophrenia in those that are already genetically/environmentally susceptible.

sacrifices will be necessary, but weed doesn't have to be one. if you're capable, you can get high every weekend and become a great neurosurgeon. marijuana is not that debilitating drug portrayed in commercials. just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.