Marijuana and being a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, there's a lot of ignorance flying around in this thread. I always love the "weed should be legal!" cries. Hey, I agree. Legalize it, stop wasting our tax dollars, and bring in some revenue instead. Awesome. However, weed is illegal, while alcohol and cigarettes and whatever else you may compare marijuana to are legal. Deal with it. All the well-founded arguments in the world won't change that before you apply, so suck it up. The same goes for when you're practicing. If you don't want to get busted for smoking weed, don't smoke weed. Hey!
It's smoke that's the carcinogen, not nicotine. Sorry.

Well said.

Members don't see this ad.

It's smoke that's the carcinogen, not nicotine. Sorry.

indeed, and marijuana smokers inhale much much less smoke than people who smoke cigarettes... Or they use vaporizers and don't inhale smoke at all..........

Members don't see this ad :)
People sure go to great lengths/risks to smoke their marijuana that they could give up whenever they wanted :)
So true. :laugh:

Also, anyone who thinks marijuana doesn't have any addictive qualities needs to learn some basic neuroscience and pharmacology. That or observe someone who smokes regularly and then stops. It isn't pretty, and let me tell you, that insomnia, irritability, and depression didn't just randomly coincide with when your friend depleted his stash.

I knew some ppl who were smoking weed then they started cocaine and some other strong sh@t, they lost everything, ended up w/ HIV and AIDS and other bad diseases

Point taken. Sorry, it just sounded like something out of reefer madness or something. Still, my point was that this is not the norm, and there are other factors that are more suited to the argument, that's all.

I will say people have had weird reactions to all kinds of substances, not just pot.

Haha, yeah.

We just went over it in my chemical dependency class, so it's fresh on my mind.

Also, anyone who thinks marijuana doesn't have any addictive qualities needs to learn some basic neuroscience and pharmacology. That or observe someone who smokes regularly and then stops. It isn't pretty, and let me tell you, that insomnia, irritability, and depression didn't just randomly coincide with when your friend depleted his stash.

True. You can always tell when people don't know the science behind their arguments.

Then keep with your habits and apply like everyone else. And if one of your schools tests for it before matriculation, or if you suspect you'll get tested before clinicals, flush your system (cranberry juice,etc). I know there are high functioning potheads. I'm friends with a long time stoner and he just got a PhD in EE. But his work doesn't test him for pot.

You got a 3.8. Good for you. If you want to keep smoking, then keep smoking. Just be aware of the consequences if they catch you.

In my precollege days I smoked regularly. I smoked on the way to work. I smoked with friends at work. I smoked after work. I would say I smoked personally about 1 oz per week. I did this for well over a year.

Then I needed to get a new job. I stopped. Period. I passed the drug test and still didnt smoke for probably 8 months or so. I didn't feel the need. Not saying I didn't want to, but I also want to eat twinkies and lounge around on the couch all day, but that's just not an option.

I would bet that stopping your morning coffee would also produce the side effects you listed. And I would be highly suspect of attributing them to marijuana.

But I suppose you second hand experience trumps my personal experience. And why shouldn't it.

Really?

Even I have trouble believing that.

But it makes me feel better regardless. Thanks hale.

dude
in all walks of life
in all levels of careers
there are people who do <insert questionable item here>

first, getting weed does not require one to go to great lengths/risks. it's almost too easy.
second, marijuana is not addictive. only first hand experience will show you. there's no way you can compare it to tobacco/alcohol. you may crave a smoke, but it's similar to craving a donut, etc, but it'll be gone in seconds. it's a mental crave, not a physical one.

I knew some ppl who were smoking weed then they started cocaine and some other strong sh@t, they lost everything, ended up w/ HIV and AIDS and other bad diseases

those people would've done it no matter what drug they started on.

A stoner walks into an appliance store and asks the owner, "How much for that TV set in the window?"
The owner looks at the TV set, then looks at the stoner, and says, "I don't sell stuff to potheads." So the stoner tells the owner that he'll quit toking and will come back the next week to buy the TV. A week later, the stoner comes back and says, "I quit smoking pot. Now, how much for that TV set in the window?"
And the owner says, "I told you I don't sell to potheads!" So the stoner leaves again.
He comes back a week later and says, "How much for that TV?"
The owner says, "I'm not going to tell you again, I don't sell to potheads!!!"
The stoner looks back at the owner and says, "How can you tell I'm a pothead?"
The owner looks back and says, "Because that's a microwave."

Members don't see this ad :)
dude
in all walks of life
in all levels of careers
there are people who do <insert questionable item here>

dude
in all walks of life
in all levels of careers
there are people who do <start asinine threads when they are bored>

thanks that makes me feel a lot better about tonight.

Thanks for the entertainment SDN. Time for me to hit the sack. I will catch you guys later:cool:

There's limited support for the gateway theory. Also, in response to your previous post about science classes and pre-med being difficult, not being able to have a life, and only sleeping 5 hours or whatever. If you have to work that hard now, you probably just aren't naturally intelligent enough for medical school. And medical school is not harder than undergrad. It's just faster.

There's limited support for the gateway theory. Also, in response to your previous post about science classes and pre-med being difficult, not being able to have a life, and only sleeping 5 hours or whatever. If you have to work that hard now, you probably just aren't naturally intelligent enough for medical school. And medical school is not harder than undergrad. It's just faster.

What? How can u judge me and my intelligence? You dont even know me... Maybe u are a smart person, and science classes are easy for u. However it is not my case. To be a successful student i have to study 2 hours for every one hour of lecture. If it is not like that w/ u, then i am just happy for u :)

:laugh:
Yikes. I'm hoping you're a first year.

3rd yr. top of my class. awesome MCAT and step 1 scores. was smoking while studying for step 1. but you prolly won't believe me.

try it yourself and you'll know. and learn what true addiction is.

Just want to say before I go

in response to your previous post about science classes and pre-med being difficult, not being able to have a life, and only sleeping 5 hours or whatever. If you have to work that hard now, you probably just aren't naturally intelligent enough for medical school. .

Oooooo burn... I have research and volunteering and a decent GPA and time to study for the mcat, and time to kick it with my friends and time to smoke weed... but no job so respec to those of you who do that too.

:laugh:
Yikes. I'm hoping you're a first year.

Nothing you have learned in medical school can convince me that weed is addictive. First hand evidence trumps research each and every time.

weed is not addictive...
'Lost' on the other hand....

Just want to say before I go

Oooooo burn... I have research and volunteering and a decent GPA and time to study for the mcat, and time to kick it with my friends and time to smoke weed... but no job so respec to those of you who do that too.

Nothing you have learned in medical school can convince me that weed is addictive. First hand evidence trumps research each and every time.

Spoken like a true stoner.

What? How can u judge me and my intelligence? You dont even know me... Maybe u are a smart person, and science classes are easy for u. However it is not my case. To be a successful student i have to study 2 hours for every one hour of lecture. If it is not like that w/ u, then i am just happy for u :)

Everyone has their weaknesses. I was never any good at physics. Giving up too much can be detrimental. You might burn out just in time for the MCAT. Or you might get to med school with nothing else in your life, and get depressed and fail out. Then what was the point of all those sacrifices?

ive blazed three times in my life, 2 months apart each time. weed is not addictive. caffeine is a thousand times more addictive =/.

From what I have seen the gateway theory holds true. People who sell pot often end up selling more lucrative drugs eventually. It is just a matter of time before the, "well, I guess I will try it just once kicks in." To say that never happens is false. It is not that pot causes people to want to do other drugs it is that the environment that they are exposed to when they are in that world.

Also, there is no need to insult people.

the gateway theory doesnt hold at all for generally well-educated people. i would never take something that some random dude made in a janky laboratory.

:eek:
ive blazed three times in my life, 2 months apart each time. weed is not addictive. caffeine is a thousand times more addictive =/.

To be devil's advocate, you could also do heroin and oxycontin every two months and not be addicted physically. So this argument does not hold true.

Weed is mentally addictive, IMO.

It's about the dopamine. Just like falling in love is an addiction to a person. Similar pathways and effects. Physiological addiction. There's also the psychological addiction. You'll learn.

Guys who smoke weed, i am not trying to change ur opinion. However, i think smoking weed is wrong... I better gonna drink my coffee and enjoy my life or lifelessness..................................................

yes, it very well might be addictive mentally, as is any other enjoyable substance, food, or activity. thats a pretty stupid thing to say. pastrami is mentally addictive imo.

I will readily admit that it has negative side effects, but cancer is not a statistically significant one.

yes, it very well might be addictive mentally, as is any other enjoyable substance, food, or activity. thats a pretty stupid thing to say. pastrami is mentally addictive imo.

Food does not affect one's mental state, nice try though.

Also, anyone who thinks marijuana doesn't have any addictive qualities needs to learn some basic neuroscience and pharmacology.

couldn't this apply to any activity...not just weed?
technically anything wired to your brain's reward centers can be addictive-- that's why people have a certain level of 'addiction' to anything from food to world of warcraft...

From what I have seen the gateway theory holds true. People who sell pot often end up selling more lucrative drugs eventually. It is just a matter of time before the, "well, I guess I will try it just once kicks in." To say that never happens is false. It is not that pot causes people to want to do other drugs it is that the environment that they are exposed to when they are in that world.

Also, there is no need to insult people.

I said "limited support." And by that I meant scientific evidence. My comment wasn't meant as a personal insult (was sarcasm) though I suppose I should have rephrased it. Yudid has been very insulting in each of her posts.

Pastrami is illegal?

Food does not affect one's mental state, nice try though.
uh yeah it does...your mental state certainly changes when you see food...you feel hungry

technically anything wired to your brain's reward centers can be addictive-- that's why people have a certain level of 'addiction' to anything from food to world of warcraft...

You won't loose your medical license for playing world of warcraft.

Lol, you sound like a PSA from the '80s ;)

To be devil's advocate, you could also do heroin and oxycontin every two months and not be addicted physically. So this argument does not hold true.

It definitely can be. My PhD friend still smokes multiple times a day. Hit after hit out of his bong. I was roommates with him in college and he'd always tell me that it wasn't addictive. But he was unbearable to be around when he couldn't have it.

On the other hand, I smoked some in college and gave it up without a problem. Another friend gave it up too, but that's cause his hot girlfriend that he liked threatened to breakup with him, and he was also interviewing at defense companies.

Everyone else I knew who smoked weed back then still smokes it now.

Anyway, OP's his own man. Smoke if you want, just don't get caught or your ass is fried.

donuts are also mentally addictive. so is shopping, the internet, warcraft, etc., but 99.9% have no problem. please don't compare apples to oranges. maybe a few in a million could use heroin and not be physically addicted. clear difference.

It's about the dopamine. Just like falling in love is an addiction to a person. Similar pathways and effects. Physiological addiction. There's also the psychological addiction. You'll learn.

not even remotely the same pathways. physically addictive substances usually have distinct receptors in the CNS. psychologically addictive substances use the dopamine pathway.

This game is crazy... so many young ppl who are addicted to it :(

true...but the argument right now is about addiction
obviously i won't smoke weed before an operation, etc...

Totally different because there is scientific proof for "psychological dependence" and it is markedly different from liking a favorite food. Flawed analogy.

As for the main argument, I agree with the poster who says feel free to do it as long as you realize the possibly consequences and do NOT put anyone else in jeopardy.

Well, yes. Anything you enjoy increases the activity of dopamine in your brain. We are all dopamine addicts. There's no way around that fact. But the danger is that marijuana has a direct effect on dopamine and dopaminergic receptors, so the level of addiction is likely higher depending on a given individual's physiology. And once you up regulate your receptors for any neurotransmitter, your body reacts to a decrease in the amount of that neurotransmitter available.

donuts are also mentally addictive. so is shopping, the internet, warcraft, etc., but 99.9% have no problem. please don't compare apples to oranges. maybe a few in a million could use heroin and not be physically addicted. clear difference.

not even remotely the same pathways. physically addictive substances usually have distinct receptors in the CNS. psychologically addictive substances use the dopamine pathway.

I think that you are mistaken. I am Not saying weed is as addictive as heroin. I was using that example to prove a point that one could do any number of substances and not get physically addicted. Your world of warcraft example is not comparable. Playing world of warcraft does not affect ones reaction skills and such.

Substance abuse is a red flag. Patients don't want pot-smoking doctors, either.

no one here is advocating putting your license at risk to smoke weed. just arguing the statement that weed is addictive by premeds who've never tried it even though no research has shown any addictive properties. and addiction is a serious condition. please don't use the loose definitions most people on this thread continue to do.

btw, to get caught smoking weed, you would probably have to actively try.

So basically, your sole argument is that smoking weed is bad because it's illegal? Not that it's not a good argument, but it sounds like you got refuted in your previous arguments and is now changing the topic a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.