marijuana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PAgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had the physical that's required by my med school, and part of that physical involved a urine test. I rarely smoke weed, and I haven't in a while, so I know nothing like that would show up. But it got me thinking- I know you have to report to your med school if you've ever been convicted of a drug-related crime (we even have to get criminal background checks), but if drugs turned up in your urine during your physical, would the school find out? If so, what would they do? Just curious. I thought maybe someone would have had some experience with this. Also, if the school finds out you were convicted of a crime once they've already accepted you, do they withdraw their acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Did you have your physical with an independent doctor? Unless the doc ordered tests for drugs, the school wouldn't find out. I would think you could ask what sort of urinalysis was done.
If you do have a conviction you haven't told them about, though, I think they'll withdraw their acceptance if they find out.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a pre medical school issue and therefore is moved to Pre-Allo. Allopathic medical students read and respond to threads in pre-allo and may follow and respond to this one if desired.

As an up and coming MS1 myself... my understanding is that the physical is for health screening only. Unless specified, the urine test should have only been a standard urinalysis (check for blood, protein, etc).

Your doctor will only report what is required on your schools physical form. If the form required a drug test and you consent to it by signing the form... you get a drug test and the results are reported. If not... doesn't happen and not reported.

I believe these results just go to student health (unless they actually are having your doc do a drug test in which case they might have those results go to admissions). The student health records are kept in a completely different part of your file and cannot be used against you. If you fail a drug test, however, this could hurt you... they do have the option to rescind your acceptance. The same as if you failed to disclose a prior criminal conviction.