Quantcast

Marine Aviator looking for some guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benko

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi, I've been looking through the forum for a while now, and was hoping to get some advice. This basically boils down to a "what are my chances" question.

I'm currently a Marine pilot with a couple of years left on my commitment. My undergraduate degree was in Criminology (i.e. very light in science) from a state school with a 3.3 GPA. A few months ago, I managed to knock out 3 credit hours of physics with an A- at a community college between tours to Iraq, but it was rough. Even while we're back stateside for around 6-9 months between deployments, we're constantly flying all over the place to get ready for the next one or working 70+ hour weeks at home, so taking science classes with a lab is tough, but it can be done. Looking at my timeline, I would be in a position to have all of my prereqs done and apply to dental school right around the time I would have to make a decision on whether to stay until my military retirement or go back to school.

Do I have a legitimate shot at being accepted with my undergrad GPA and ~3.5 in my prereqs (although I took the physics at a community college, I have the ability to knock most of them out at a four-year university). I rarely see my family as it is now, without killing myself further with evening and weekend classes during my few months at home. If my chances are legitimate, however, I (and the family) would be willing to make that time sacrifice. For what it's worth, I love the military and would want to re-enter as a military dentist upon graduation. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

rdhdds1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been looking through the forum for a while now, and was hoping to get some advice. This basically boils down to a "what are my chances" question.

I'm currently a Marine pilot with a couple of years left on my commitment. My undergraduate degree was in Criminology (i.e. very light in science) from a state school with a 3.3 GPA. A few months ago, I managed to knock out 3 credit hours of physics with an A- at a community college between tours to Iraq, but it was rough. Even while we're back stateside for around 6-9 months between deployments, we're constantly flying all over the place to get ready for the next one or working 70+ hour weeks at home, so taking science classes with a lab is tough, but it can be done. Looking at my timeline, I would be in a position to have all of my prereqs done and apply to dental school right around the time I would have to make a decision on whether to stay until my military retirement or go back to school.

Do I have a legitimate shot at being accepted with my undergrad GPA and ~3.5 in my prereqs (although I took the physics at a community college, I have the ability to knock most of them out at a four-year university). I rarely see my family as it is now, without killing myself further with evening and weekend classes during my few months at home. If my chances are legitimate, however, I (and the family) would be willing to make that time sacrifice. For what it's worth, I love the military and would want to re-enter as a military dentist upon graduation. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Corpsman here. I believe you have a chance. Your GPA seems within the acceptable range and as long as you perform on the DAT I am sure you will have no problems getting in.

Navy doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Benko, gotta handed to you:thumbup:. I think you have a good chance of getting into dental school since you probably have to take your prereqs for dental school. Your gpa isn't too low so just take your classes at a university and Ace them. Also, rock the DAT. I was in the navy as a dental tech and corpsman, and I hope your at Pendleton and not at 29 palms:thumbdown:.