benko

10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Status (Visible)
Hi, I've been looking through the forum for a while now, and was hoping to get some advice. This basically boils down to a "what are my chances" question.

I'm currently a Marine pilot with a couple of years left on my commitment. My undergraduate degree was in Criminology (i.e. very light in science) from a state school with a 3.3 GPA. A few months ago, I managed to knock out 3 credit hours of physics with an A- at a community college between tours to Iraq, but it was rough. Even while we're back stateside for around 6-9 months between deployments, we're constantly flying all over the place to get ready for the next one or working 70+ hour weeks at home, so taking science classes with a lab is tough, but it can be done. Looking at my timeline, I would be in a position to have all of my prereqs done and apply to dental school right around the time I would have to make a decision on whether to stay until my military retirement or go back to school.

Do I have a legitimate shot at being accepted with my undergrad GPA and ~3.5 in my prereqs (although I took the physics at a community college, I have the ability to knock most of them out at a four-year university). I rarely see my family as it is now, without killing myself further with evening and weekend classes during my few months at home. If my chances are legitimate, however, I (and the family) would be willing to make that time sacrifice. For what it's worth, I love the military and would want to re-enter as a military dentist upon graduation. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

rdhdds1

10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hi, I've been looking through the forum for a while now, and was hoping to get some advice. This basically boils down to a "what are my chances" question.

I'm currently a Marine pilot with a couple of years left on my commitment. My undergraduate degree was in Criminology (i.e. very light in science) from a state school with a 3.3 GPA. A few months ago, I managed to knock out 3 credit hours of physics with an A- at a community college between tours to Iraq, but it was rough. Even while we're back stateside for around 6-9 months between deployments, we're constantly flying all over the place to get ready for the next one or working 70+ hour weeks at home, so taking science classes with a lab is tough, but it can be done. Looking at my timeline, I would be in a position to have all of my prereqs done and apply to dental school right around the time I would have to make a decision on whether to stay until my military retirement or go back to school.

Do I have a legitimate shot at being accepted with my undergrad GPA and ~3.5 in my prereqs (although I took the physics at a community college, I have the ability to knock most of them out at a four-year university). I rarely see my family as it is now, without killing myself further with evening and weekend classes during my few months at home. If my chances are legitimate, however, I (and the family) would be willing to make that time sacrifice. For what it's worth, I love the military and would want to re-enter as a military dentist upon graduation. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Corpsman here. I believe you have a chance. Your GPA seems within the acceptable range and as long as you perform on the DAT I am sure you will have no problems getting in.

Navy doc

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Benko, gotta handed to you:thumbup:. I think you have a good chance of getting into dental school since you probably have to take your prereqs for dental school. Your gpa isn't too low so just take your classes at a university and Ace them. Also, rock the DAT. I was in the navy as a dental tech and corpsman, and I hope your at Pendleton and not at 29 palms:thumbdown:.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.