Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Marine + medicine = ?

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by freezerbagz, Mar 16, 2007.

1. freezerbagz

Pre-Medical
    Hello! I am a high school Senior and have been admitted to the University of Florida, GO GATORS!

My two goals in life are to be a medical doctor and to be a Marine. I'd just found out (from Wikipedia) that the Marine Corps doesn't train medical doctor,:(. Though, I'm planing to join the NROTC, Marine option, later on my sophomore or junior year.

Questions:
    1. Is it possible to be a Marine Physician, or do I have to join the Navy instead?
    2. Should I go to the military medical school? (hopefully, it's not too early to ask!)
    3. After 4-year college with NROTC, do I have to serve the time right a way or can I finish my graduate school first?
    4. What if I finish 4-year school without NROTC and go to a regular medical school, can still be a military physician?
    5. What do you think is the best route for me?
    6. Is there a lot of female military physicians?
    7. Any scholarships? :D
    8. Physician:civilian vs military

I would really appreciate all your advises and inputs. Thank you!

GO GATORS!!!!!once more...ah ham ham

2. AF_PedsBoy

AF_PedsBoy Stuffed Animal Overlord
    5+ Year Member

Attending Physician

3. My friend went through ROTC in college then went straight to medical school - of course now he has a hell of an obligation to serve after he finishes residency

4. It's called the Health Professions Scholarship Program, HPSP, and you get picked up for a 3 or 4 year obligation, and go to a civilian medical school. They pay for tuition, your books (some of them anyway!), and pay a small stipend. Search the forum, there's a zillion posts on it.

6. There's a fair amount

8. Search the forums

3. BigNavyPedsGuy

BigNavyPedsGuy Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    1) No, you have to join the Navy to be a primary doc for Marines
    2) It's WAY too early to ask about this. Don't even worry about that until AT LEAST your junior year of college
    3) not sure, but I know people who defferred it for med school
    4) Yes and see number 2
    5) Go to Florida in the fall and then see #2
    6) Yes
    7) No academic scholarships - there are military scholarships but see #2
    8) See number 2

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. colbgw02

colbgw02 Delightfully Tacky
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    3. As a senior, you would have to apply for what is called an educational delay to go to medical school. As recently as a few years ago, this was pretty much an automatic as long as you could get into medical school. The current operational tempo and under-manning of the military makes it less of a certainty; the navy may decide they need you more as a fleet officer than a physician.

This is a separate process from applying for the military medical school scholarship (HPSP), although I would imagine the navy would be more likely to let you go to medical school if they knew they had you obligated to HPSP. If you were to do both, then you would owe 8 years of active duty service + 1 year internship + the remainder of your residency training. (Actually, it's much more complex than that, but I'll spare you the details.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. deuist

deuist Stealthfully Sarcastic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'll reply as a Gator alum and let the rest of the people on this board answer your other questions. The military is not going to play match maker for you. Don't expect the Marines to issue you a physician wife down the road. Your best bet would be to go to the Colleges of Business, Education, or Journalism and scream at the top of your lungs that you've got money and you want to take a beautiful woman shopping. Buy some Coach bags and your job is finished. As an aside, make sure that your money date hails from anywhere other than South Florida. You don't want to rack up the bills so early into your college career.

6. Ex-44E3A

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yikes... that was tongue-in-cheek, right? Because if not, the bitterness from your negative experience with avaricious, materialistic women is shining right through.

If you were serious, I should be ashamed... I laughed out loud right in the middle of my ER.:laugh:

7. OP
    OP
    freezerbagz

Pre-Medical
    By the way, I asked the question ,because I am a FEMALE myself :rolleyes: and only curious about the matter. But thnx for replying anyway.