Marine Science major, chances for med-school in the caribbean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScubaDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going into my junior year at Stony Brook University as a student in pre-med and as a marine science major. My plan is to get my MBA through an offered fast-track program (one extra year) and then apply to med-schools in the caribbean. I have a 3.2 GPA, which I plan to bump up in the following years, and A's and B's in most of my classes except for a C+ in gen chem. I volunteer at the hospital and shadow numerous physicians. My dream is to be an orthopedic surgeon, but I would like to know what my chances are and what I can do to strengthen my transcript, or boost my chances. Are there other places then the caribbean that I should be looking? What about military options? Or military residency options? Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

You probably shouldn't be relegated to the Caribbean yet. I doubt orthopedics is realistic coming from an offshore school.

I would probably retake the Gen Chem. What is the purpose of the MBA for you? Is your science GPA above 3.0? If so, then you are probably viable for a state-side school. Definitely should be applying to osteopathic schools, as they'll replace old grades with retakes in the calculation of your GPA. Retaking Cs and lower can improve your GPA significantly. You need to do well on the MCAT, so I would advise taking a classroom prep course, i.e. Princeton Review, Kaplan, etc.