Markedly different undergrad stories (improvement after returning to school)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrm4k

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering not so much what my chances are (too late for that, I'm definitely applying), but more if/how to explain my story.

The basic details are that I went to college and spiraled down to a 2.32 GPA over a few years. I left for almost five years and came back and finished up my degree. My school says I graduated with a great GPA (3.91), but only because they were kind enough to erase my prior mistakes. AMCAS isn't so generous.

I've maintained a 3.91 cGPA since coming back, and a 3.92 sGPA (including nearly all my prereq courses taken in that time). While my AMCAS senior year GPA reflects the above, my overall AMCAS cGPA is a 2.85 and sGPA is a 2.49 (ouch). My MCAT is a 32.

What is the best way to highlight the fact that there's been a major change? I was advised by several people not to focus my personal statement on this, since I don't want to be seen as making excuses for anything. It does talk about my returning to school and knowing what I want to do, but without really dwelling on the past. At the same time, I want to make sure that my application doesn't just get tossed aside for the GPA. I've listed my academic awards (dean's list, honors society, etc.) in the experience section, and have what I believe are excellent letters from my academic advisor and premed committee. Is there anything else I can/should do on the primary application?

Also, I understand/believe that a number of schools specifically ask about academic underperformance or "performance that you believe is inconsistent with your abilities" on secondaries. Is this indeed the case? Thank you everyone in advance for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

At the same time, I want to make sure that my application doesn't just get tossed aside for the GPA
This is exactly what is going to happen, MD is just not possible right now. At the same time you have a lot of options, and your recent academic achievements show promise. Please see the postbac forum to find out what you need to do next. Or, alternatively, get started on grade replacement and apply DO.
Good luck!

Thanks for the quick feedback! Much of my coursework finishing up will work for grade replacement (I had to retake anything with a D as part of the fresh start), and I'm definitely applying to DO schools, too. The idea of a postbacc seems redundant since that's almost what I did, in essence (and I've taken and done well in the science prereq courses within the last two years). I'm really hoping there are some allopathic schools that will look at things more holistically before rushing to an immediate "no" decision.

Thanks for the quick feedback! Much of my coursework finishing up will work for grade replacement (I had to retake anything with a D as part of the fresh start), and I'm definitely applying to DO schools, too. The idea of a postbacc seems redundant since that's almost what I did, in essence (and I've taken and done well in the science prereq courses within the last two years). I'm really hoping there are some allopathic schools that will look at things more holistically before rushing to an immediate "no" decision.
"Postbacc" includes SMPs, for which you are a solid candidate. If you are unaware of what that is please check out the sticky on the postbacc forum.