Marketability of interest in benign heme, palliative/ geri-onc, and inpatient teaching?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PolarPenguin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a PGY1 interested in the above. It's my understanding that these are generally the things that many oncologists like the least and are also the most poorly compensated. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the logistics of trying to make these the focus of a heme/onc career in an (ideally) academic-affiliated community setting. I could see it going either way; either highly marketable since I could take the work that others don't necessarily like to do, or highly unmarketable since these are the parts of heme/onc that aren't well reimbursed by insurance. Is my impression even correct? How likely is it for me to make a career out of these interests?

Members don't see this ad.

All of them or just one of them?

Because you've pretty much described my (and my 13 partners') community-based academic practice.

A ton of community hem/onc is benign heme. It's boring AF but it pays the bills.

Old people get cancer. Most of onc is geri-onc.

Sounds like you're setting yourself up perfectly for a community-based gig.