Marketing and advertising

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious how you guys market your practices and how you gauge successful outreach.

I’ve seen one group take out big ads in the paper - one patient brought me a clipping about the Vertiflex they were touting.

1-2 times a year our ortho group will bring lunch to our referring PCPs

We have Facebook ads and an online review service, a kiosk ad by the mall food court.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
My group relies on word of mouth. We have a company Facebook that posts articles and I think does some advertising. No online review optimization, resulting in a 2.5 star google review which I’ve been trying to get them to take seriously (mostly complaints about how hard it is to get someone on the phone). We are nearly the only Ortho/sports group in the entire area though so there’s not much competition and we have no trouble filling our schedules, but I know there are lots of good elective cases choosing to go out of the area due to the poor reviews. I haven’t done much PCP outreach because my schedule is already full - procedures booking 2 weeks out, but I’m thinking it’s time to do some to bring better cases in.

Every time I get a patient better with either RF, kypho, SCS, or TFESI and PT for HNP: I tell them I can no longer help them but they are now good enough to go out there and push somebody down so I can get the next guy better.
4 new Fx's this week. Down side is I have had 3 add-on kyphos to my schedule. #workinlate.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Every time I get a patient better with either RF, kypho, SCS, or TFESI and PT for HNP: I tell them I can no longer help them but they are now good enough to go out there and push somebody down so I can get the next guy better.
4 new Fx's this week.

Wow, your patients don’t mess around. Either that or gravity is stronger where you are.

Curious how you guys market your practices and how you gauge successful outreach.

I’ve seen one group take out big ads in the paper - one patient brought me a clipping about the Vertiflex they were touting.

1-2 times a year our ortho group will bring lunch to our referring PCPs

We have Facebook ads and an online review service, a kiosk ad by the mall food court.

Nothing is better than picking up the phone and calling referring docs, going out for a cup of coffee, Elks, Rotary, Lions, Toastmaster's, sponsoring the local team, and sporting events. Take every opportunity to tell people what you do. Promote your successes. Send your referring docs Tik-Tok testimonials of good results. Also, position yourself as a KOL and use social media platforms to establish your expertise among PCP's. Don't leave out the chiros, naturopaths, massage therapists, and PTs. These folks are seeing all the acute stuff WAY before we don't. Ingratiate yourself to them and make yourself indispensable.

Reactions: 2 users
I spend a lot for a solo doc on google ads. Have staff ask happy patients to write a review. I haven’t done a lunch in years though I used to do 50/year. I don’t really market directly to docs anymore

I spend a lot for a solo doc on google ads. Have staff ask happy patients to write a review. I haven’t done a lunch in years though I used to do 50/year. I don’t really market to docs

50 lunches! Take out for the entire staff, or just the doc? We’ve backed away from that because COVID. I could see myself inviting some of the female doctors for one-on-one schmooze dinners at a later date.

We have zero tik tok Instagram presence. We’d have to hire a Social Media person to do that. I just find it hard to believe people want to see their doctor on Tik Tok and none of us are cool.

Reactions: 2 users
I would order for the staff primarily. Often just a box of bagels and coffee or pizza and hang out for 15 minutes in break room making small talk with staff and hope docs stop by for a slice and facetime

Referral coordinator probably more important than the docs so send out my office manager to bring them a coffee or flowers 🌸 once a month before covid to keep name out there

did some fancier glad handing when I first started with expensive wine gifts and dinners but docs that need that level of hand holding aren’t a good fit for me and my efficient high volume practice

I work in a hospital setting and everyone sends me patients! Lol.. In my last practice we paid a marketing person who went around a visited doctors, placed ads, managed Facebook etc as well as frequent dinners with referring docs by the physicians in the group. Personally I felt we overspent on marketing.

For those of you that have marketed well and have since established a good reputation and now have full schedules weeks/months out. When patients call and ask for referral elsewhere or cancel because they can't wait too long; are you worried about losing those patient? Or are you able to absorb that loss because you're referral sources/base keep feeding you?

A friend of mine who is into healthcare marketing for a small hospital group and saying going to local fairs , hosting sporting events and integrating your name in the community is a method that doctors aren’t tapping into. We just wanna do lunches with staff and sometimes not even that.

Marketing and advertising strategies can vary, but it's great to see you're exploring different options. Taking out ads, hosting lunches, and leveraging platforms like Facebook and online reviews are all smart moves.
I'm not really sure what to make of these new accounts with generic replies to old threads. AI or troll?

We go face to face and host CME events.

I'm giving a CRPS talk in August, while the rest of my partners give different ortho lectures. We are giving out CME for attendees.

They look me in the face and ask me Qs. I answer any and all Qs.

They hear the tone of my voice in real life rather than merely reading my notes, which lack context.

Prob be 100+ ppl in attendance. Local PT groups, PCPs, urgent care, etc.

This is the way...

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Why not consider doing a lecture for your community? The scs reps can set it up for you, advertise, and set up food. I did that a few times at the beginning.

What you mean?
Bos sci rented out space at a counter club and took some ads out. I think they mailed out some flyers too. USPS has, out at least had, a flyer program. I gave a lecture about stim.

They also rented out a room in a restaurant for local providers. I gave another lecture and presentation to them about stim.

Also rented out space in a hospital, if I remember correctly, where I gave a presentation. I think mainly for PT, nursing, office staff. Don't underestimate their potential to influence referral patterns.

I did this several times in the early stages.

You can also consider giving pharma lectures. Easy and good money. I lectured for butrans and symproic.