1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Marking on the DAT

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by smile_doctor, Sep 1, 2002.

1. smile_doctor

smile_doctor Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys!

I'm finding that I spend the majority of my time in the Natural Science section on the General Chemistry problems. I've decided that on the DAT that I might answer the biology and organic questions first and mark the G Chem questions and come back to those last. Is this allowed on the DAT or does one have to attempt an answer before marking a question? If time is left over in a section, does the DAT automatically give you the option to return to marked questions (like TopScore does)? If so, do you have to "unmark" each question in order for your response to count?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am strategizing to get the most out of my DAT, and I want to make sure that I'm on the right track.

Thanks for your help,
    Smile_doc

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    smile doctor,

If you enter an answer on a question which has previously been "marked", then you don't have to click "unmark" (this is different on TopScore, as you pointed out). If time is left over, then you can revisit unanswered and unmarked questions.

You can certainly utilize the theory you mentioned, however you are going to waste a couple of minutes by clicking "mark" on each of the 30 chemistry questions. As I recall, you would be better off not answering the questions (just choose "next, I think) which will take you to the next question. At the end of the sciences portion you can revisit the questions that you didn't answer.

All in all, I believe you are better off taking the questions in order. This negates the possibility that you will accidently skip questions, leave questions unanswered, confuse questions, or any number of other scenarios.

Probably the best strategy given your circumstances is for you to pace yourself on your practice exams. Take a couple, find out how long on average you need to complete the Bio/Organic questions, and then plan the rest of your time for the general chemistry questions. Follow these same time allotments on the real exam. Just my 2?.

4. smile_doctor

smile_doctor Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Gavin-

I appreciate your input! I think that I will stick to my strategy in stead of taking the questions in order for two reasons:

1. Confidence: I perform much better on the bio & organic questions than I do on the G Chem questions. Saving the G Chem questions for last helps me not get bogged down in worrying about hard questions while testing.

2. Timing: My practice tests reveal that I spend a disproportionate amount of time on G Chem questions as compared to bio & organic questions. When I take the questions in order, I find that I run out of time, and end up marking random answers to the last few organic questions in panic. There's no reason to lower my organic subscore with haphazard answers when I potentially know the answers but lack the time to complete the questions.

Each person has different strengths and weaknesses. I just want to take the opportunity to maximize the effects of my strengths while minimizing the effects of my weaknesses.

Smile_doc

5. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Smile doc,

In the same regard, why would you want to finish a section with hard questions? Will this leave you with a good feeling as you finish the section, or will you feel distressed because you were unsure of several answers? Mentally it seems you would be better to sandwich your "hard" section in between two "easier" sections. That's my 1?.

But then again, you know yourself far better than I do. Good luck on the exam! :)

6. FutureNSXDent

FutureNSXDent Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think what SmileDoc want is to save the hardest section for last (do it as the last section in SNS) because in that manner, he can have more time to work on it. Granted that he finished the other two sections in lesser amount of time and saving the rest of the time to work on the hardest section which will take the most time.

NSXDent