Marquette - Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drkt

drkt_tobe
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of other schools have threads going, so I figured I would start one for Marquette. Just wondering where others plan on living and all of that fun stuff. Hope other SDNers are headed up to Milwaukee! :)

Members don't see this ad.

drkt said:
A lot of other schools have threads going, so I figured I would start one for Marquette. Just wondering where others plan on living and all of that fun stuff. Hope other SDNers are headed up to Milwaukee! :)

Most likely I'll be attending Marquette as well....Im planning to live on campus! I'm just kind of nervous about leaving NYC to go out west. But all in all I am excited, it'll be a change !

:laugh: going to milwaukee next week to check out places to live. I will let you know what I find.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be a Marquette _________ as well. There is a bit of a name controversy going on now.

LOL....seriously whats up with the administration there...first they choose "Gold" to be the name/mascot for Marquette. Personally, I dont know why they wanted to change it in the first place. Being in Chicago, we hear about this fiasco in the sports section on a daily basis (the cubs suck and the sox dont get the press they deserve so we get Milwaukee news). Rumor has it the students will get to vote on the eventual name. I think it could be Warriors, Hilltoppers (original name way back in the day) or Golden Eagles. Either way...its hilarious.

Bullfan16 said:
LOL....seriously whats up with the administration there...first they choose "Gold" to be the name/mascot for Marquette. Personally, I dont know why they wanted to change it in the first place. Being in Chicago, we hear about this fiasco in the sports section on a daily basis (the cubs suck and the sox dont get the press they deserve so we get Milwaukee news). Rumor has it the students will get to vote on the eventual name. I think it could be Warriors, Hilltoppers (original name way back in the day) or Golden Eagles. Either way...its hilarious.

Some suggestions for Marquette's new name:
1. Marquette Gold Fillings
2. Marquette Gold Crowns
3. Marquette Interchange (Department of Transportation job which should be done around the time we receive our DDS)

Gold fillings are so out of style, I say they should name them the warriors, as it was when Marquette won the championship.

i decided to try reviving this thread.. hopefully there are still marquette students on sdn... even if we don't know what our name will be ;)

it would be cool to talk to a few fellow classmates before school starts.. find out where everyones' living and when they're moving and alll. i signed a lease at the sovergn apts... right across the street. see you soon!

I'm applying to Marquette for the 2006 cycle. Can you guys post your stats. so I get an understanding of where I stand. I have a sci/cum g.p.a of 3.26/3.33. Dat scores are TS:19, AA:19, PAT:16. I've had research experience at UIC COD and I've shadowed 2 dentists. What do you guys think...........

My GPA was about a 3.5, and science was about 3.8. DAT: 19 AA, 18 TS and 16 PAT. (My science GPA is higher b/c i went back to school three years after finishing my degree to take prereqs to get into dental school). I hope that helps. The main advice I can give you to help you with marquette is make your own appointment to see the school, and do so either in the fall or the winter. Call the admissions office and set up a tour and give them the opportunity to meet you. I was waitlisted this cycle, and taken off the waitlist after I went up and visited and met with Brian. I think a big part of Marquette's admissions is making sure that your personality fits with their program. Good Luck!

drkt said:
My GPA was about a 3.5, and science was about 3.8. DAT: 19 AA, 18 TS and 16 PAT. (My science GPA is higher b/c i went back to school three years after finishing my degree to take prereqs to get into dental school). I hope that helps. The main advice I can give you to help you with marquette is make your own appointment to see the school, and do so either in the fall or the winter. Call the admissions office and set up a tour and give them the opportunity to meet you. I was waitlisted this cycle, and taken off the waitlist after I went up and visited and met with Brian. I think a big part of Marquette's admissions is making sure that your personality fits with their program. Good Luck!

Brian told me that after this last cycle (for c/o 2009), they will no longer allow students to schedule their own school visits to Marquette. I am sure you can visit on your own, but it sounds like Brian will not sit down with you and essentially interview you like he has in the past. I went up to Milwaukee in January and had a good experience but had a good feeling I wasnt going to get in and surprise, I didnt. The "interview" was fine but I guess I just didnt have the numbers, oh well. Call Brian Trecek at Marquette and ask if you can visit. Good luck

drkt said:

Can I ask when you were taken off the waitlist? My app was on hold status and then went to waitlist status. I too visited with Brian in early May but have not heard anything yet. I'm curious if there's been any movement recently. My stats are very similar to yours.

I was taken off the waitlist in early april... right after the deadline for deposits from those accepted. I don't know if there has been any movement lately or not. When I was talking to them while I was still on the waitlist, they said not to expect much movement until around July. I guess I just got really lucky.

drkt said:
I was taken off the waitlist in early april... right after the deadline for deposits from those accepted. I don't know if there has been any movement lately or not. When I was talking to them while I was still on the waitlist, they said not to expect much movement until around July. I guess I just got really lucky.

Thanks and congratulations to all who got accepted! Marquette appears to be an awesome program with the perfect mix of a high-tech facilities along with 100 years of tradition in the heart of a great city. Hopefully I will be joining you in September 05.

billermo said:
Thanks and congratulations to all who got accepted! Marquette appears to be an awesome program with the perfect mix of a high-tech facilities along with 100 years of tradition in the heart of a great city. Hopefully I will be joining you in September 05.

Maybe its b/c I got rejected...but I disagree...it seems like a decent enough school but I didnt think much of it. They make a huge deal about how its new and so far ahead of its time...but its just an average dental school. Woohoo! Other than the wireless connections and the elevators, I wasnt impressed. If you are going there...I am not trying to rip the school...so dont get offended. Just some thoughts...

Marquette is an outstanding school. If you want a dental curriculum where you learn bio-chem, all four years then Marquette is not for you. However the clinical opportunities at Marquette are one of the top in the nation. Marquette features an integrated case-based education. This curriculum is structure such that we gain clinical experience in the first year of school not in the third year like some other schools. If you want to be thrown into science classes with medical students, or work in a basic sciences lab, go right ahead, if you want to learn how to be a dentist come to Marquette. At Marquette we get patient exposure in our first year of dental school. We start learning how to diagnose and treat dental problems in the first semester. We are assigned to a clinic, with real patients, in our second semester. The simulation lab is one of the newest and most high tech in the nation. Marquette also teaches courses in practice management, implants and cosmetic dentistry. I want to be a dentist that is why I chose Marquette for my dental education.

Bng825 said:
Marquette is an outstanding school. If you want a dental curriculum where you learn bio-chem, all four years then Marquette is not for you. However the clinical opportunities at Marquette are one of the top in the nation. Marquette features an integrated case-based education. This curriculum is structure such that we gain clinical experience in the first year of school not in the third year like some other schools. If you want to be thrown into science classes with medical students, or work in a basic sciences lab, go right ahead, if you want to learn how to be a dentist come to Marquette. At Marquette we get patient exposure in our first year of dental school. We start learning how to diagnose and treat dental problems in the first semester. We are assigned to a clinic, with real patients, in our second semester. The simulation lab is one of the newest and most high tech in the nation. Marquette also teaches courses in practice management, implants and cosmetic dentistry. I want to be a dentist that is why I chose Marquette for my dental education.

Fantastic....have an amazing 4 years. By the way sim labs are severely over-rated. Concerning your other points, every school in the nation teaches you how to become a dentist...not just the one you are going to. Practice management is taught at every school (from what I have heard, its not the most informative course). Anyway, thanks for the essay...I am really excited for you.

Maybe you are bitter b/c you didn't get accepted. But let's be honest. In the end all of us who are going to dental school are going to have to oppurtunity to become a good dentist. School is really what you put into it. I was very impressed with Marquette. It is a really good match for my personality and my hand's on learning style. If it's not for you, then I am glad that you didn't get in. But seriously, why hijack a thread for students planning on attending next year just to rip on their school? I am sure you don't see any of our names on your school's thread ripping on yours. Do you really have that much time on your hands?

drkt said:
Maybe you are bitter b/c you didn't get accepted. But let's be honest. In the end all of us who are going to dental school are going to have to oppurtunity to become a good dentist. School is really what you put into it. I was very impressed with Marquette. It is a really good match for my personality and my hand's on learning style. If it's not for you, then I am glad that you didn't get in. But seriously, why hijack a thread for students planning on attending next year just to rip on their school? I am sure you don't see any of our names on your school's thread ripping on yours. Do you really have that much time on your hands?

Look dude I am not "hijacking" your thread. I am just giving an honest opinion about the school. I get the feeling just because the school is new, pre-dental students drool over Marquette. On the other hand, when a school is older its labeled as "bad" or "unappealing". Thing is, its a dental school just like the rest of the dental schools across the country. Additionally, the schools that boost new technology and have crazy gizmos and neat gadgets dont always turn out to be the best schools. I think that is something that unknowledgeable pre-dents think is a vital component to a "good school" when really its a common misconception. Dental schools teach you advanced sciences and in essence how to use your hands effectively. Period. No amount of technology is going to increase productivity. In any case, if you havent noticed....I wasnt ripping your school. Bng825 mentioned all of the various advantages of your school and I commented that most schools do things the same way. Lastly, I am not bitter and in fact I am glad I am not going to Marquette (although it is pretty close to Chicago) because your class is getting a real pain-in-the-a$$ 20 year-old who thinks she knows it all (I was in classes with her). I am sure you will be able to figure out who she is very quickly. In any case, have fun and good luck. By the way, the Brewers suck, but their stadium is pretty sweet.

Bullfan16 said:
Look dude I am not "hijacking" your thread. I am just giving an honest opinion about the school. I get the feeling just because the school is new, pre-dental students drool over Marquette. On the other hand, when a school is older its labeled as "bad" or "unappealing". Thing is, its a dental school just like the rest of the dental schools across the country. Additionally, the schools that boost new technology and have crazy gizmos and neat gadgets dont always turn out to be the best schools. I think that is something that unknowledgeable pre-dents think is a vital component to a "good school" when really its a common misconception. Dental schools teach you advanced sciences and in essence how to use your hands effectively. Period. No amount of technology is going to increase productivity. In any case, if you havent noticed....I wasnt ripping your school. Bng825 mentioned all of the various advantages of your school and I commented that most schools do things the same way. Lastly, I am not bitter and in fact I am glad I am not going to Marquette (although it is pretty close to Chicago) because your class is getting a real pain-in-the-a$$ 20 year-old who thinks she knows it all (I was in classes with her). I am sure you will be able to figure out who she is very quickly. In any case, have fun and good luck. By the way, the Brewers suck, but their stadium is pretty sweet.

You're last few 'comments' have been pretty rough. No one likes a 'know-it-all' and you're coming across like one. Speaking of pain in the asses........

studylikemad said:
You're last few 'comments' have been pretty rough. No one likes a 'know-it-all' and you're coming across like one. Speaking of pain in the asses........

Sorry I come across that way....I thought you would have realized from previous pm's and conversations that I wasnt like that. I guess nobody is allowed to express their opinions on SDN without being labeled a hater. I dont hate the damn school...I just think pre-dents (as well as the school) hype the school up more than it should be hyped. Anyway, many people slam NYU for being a "drop out school" which is totally false (although seeing that they have more students per class...it makes sense that more people fail out...but the main point is at NYU, the administration doesnt kick a student out...a student fails themselves out). I am sure you will all have a great time at Marquette...have fun (studylikemad I thought you were going to SIU...I dont get why you care in the first place). I am positive that when all of us finish we will not say "I really wish I could do that all over again"....these 4 years suck no matter where you end up. If you are where you want to be and make some good friends...it makes the experience a bit easier. Thats all I have...