Marquette On Hold vs Waitlisted???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waitingame

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just curious I saw a number of people who put on predents say that they were waitlisted. Did they actually say you were waitlisted or just on hold. Because I called today and they said I was on hold but I didnt know if there was a difference between the two.

Members don't see this ad.

They said on hold, and im pretty sure thats like the same thing, as people decline they pull of the list, but they wait until mid-january to send out more acceptances

I recieved a letter today from Marquette that told me that I'm on "hold" but I'm thinking that being on hold means that they're still deciding whether to grant an interview or not whereas waitlisted is after the interview and possibly getting accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recieved a letter today from Marquette that told me that I'm on "hold" but I'm thinking that being on hold means that they're still deciding whether to grant an interview or not whereas waitlisted is after the interview and possibly getting accepted.

I agree. I have yet to interview at Marquette yet I'm "on hold".

I am on hold too without having had an interview. Same thing happened last year and I didn't get a rejection until April... so not too optimistic about this status :(

I also had no interview, placed on hold

See I have had an interview and when I called they told me I was on hold but I know I saw ppl on predents with waitlisted. Anyway I think everyone that was put on hold without an interview is basically on the waitlist or there deciding whether or not to interview you based on how many acceptances are accepted.

being waitlisted is better than being on hold. waitlisted means you are offered a spot pending someone's denial of their acceptance... on hold means they will reconsider you at a later date and it could be an offer or a rejection.

good luck.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think everyone that was not formally rejected by Marquette, is "On Hold"...

for those 'On Hold', what does your AADSAS status say? I just got an update today on my status on AADSAS saying: Received/Under Review. Then it talks about a decision has not yet been made. I never got an official letter from them though.

SO I just called Marquette and on hold pretty much is you're not getting in...waitlist still stands a chance though. If you are on hold that means that if first round declines their spots AND waitlist declines spots...then you might stand a chance..haha not happening!!

I called Marquette as well, and they said that there is absolutely no difference between being on hold and being wait-listed....weird.

I called Marquette as well, and they said that there is absolutely no difference between being on hold and being wait-listed....weird.

that doesn't make much sense. why would a candidate who interviewed already and are sitting on the wait list ready to get an acceptance be on the same level as a candidate on hold who has yet to receive an interview?

Def, there's a diff-ce.

I had an interview and on December 1st, I was told that I was 'on hold'. When I asked if they were differentiating between placing some people on a wait list versus some people on hold, they said that they're exactly the same thing-some people just use different terminology.
Obviously there's a difference between people who had interviews and are 'on hold' versus those who have not interviewed and are 'on hold', but I think with reference to 'on hold' and 'wait-listed' they mean the same thing if you've had an interview already...they only differentiate between those who have interviewed versus those who have not.

Yeah, I had an interview and I received a letter saying I was on hold. I just called Marquette a minute ago and they told me it was exactly the same thing....

Yeah, I had an interview and I received a letter saying I was on hold. I just called Marquette a minute ago and they told me it was exactly the same thing....

well last year I was put on the waitlist at Marquette even though i didnt interview.. so i guess 'on hold' and waitlist is the same at that school. Even though we all know they are two totally different things.

So from my understanding:

Waitlist = On-Hold (Ater Interview), which means you have some chance of getting in if the waitlist moves.

On-Hold (w/o interview), seems to mean something else entirely, that you have pretty much zero chance to get in.

for those 'On Hold', what does your AADSAS status say? I just got an update today on my status on AADSAS saying: Received/Under Review. Then it talks about a decision has not yet been made. I never got an official letter from them though.

This is the note that I have on AADSAS "Your file is complete. Your application has been reviewed and the Admissions Committee has not yet made a decision on your file. Offers of admission and denials have already been given out. Your file remains active in our applicant pool and will be reviewed at subsequent meetings of our Admissions Committee. You will ultimately receive a final decision on your file in the coming weeks or months." When I called they said my file was on hold, but I have interviewed there.