Marquette vs Iowa vs NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kulfi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
j

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Iowa. Cheapest tuition, great clinical experience. Marquette is a close second. And I applied to both, btw.

I personally wouldn't even think about NYU.

k

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Iowa also has a large patient pool, international reputation in the dental research community, and brand new facilities. Plus, they have an international externship program where you can spend 2 months of your 4th year in places like Denmark, Guatemala, and Spain. I'd love to do that.

I agree with kholley25.

Iowa. Cheapest tuition

Where are you seeing that? Assuming OOS, I'm getting 351k for Marquette and 374k for Iowa after totaling each school's tuition and fees page.

Where are you seeing that? Assuming OOS, I'm getting 351k for Marquette and 374k for Iowa after totaling each school's tuition and fees page.
From what I've read, Iowa usually gives a scholarship to OOS applicants to bring the cost down by around 40-60K, so closer to 330K with scholarship.

I am currently torn between Marquette and Iowa...not sure which to choose (I'm OOS for both lol). NEED HELP haha

personally, i'd go to Iowa.
I guess either school you choose will be fine
just avoid NYU if you're financing

I wouldn't touch NYU with a 100 foot pole. Its expense and class size was alone a big enough deterrent for me to not apply there. That's just my opinion though and I think New York would be too big of a city for me anyway.

Currently at NYU and I had to make that decision between NYU and Marquette as well. It wasn't an easy one at all because I loved both schools and Marquette obviously had the price going for it, but I went with NYU because I had some other personal things attracting me here. I'm loving it here and do not regret my decision but I can understand how price can be a deciding factor, so make sure you're comfortable enough with the finances before deciding.

Everyone always lists class size as a con for the bigger schools but I don't see it as any kind of disadvantage here. You still have plenty of opportunities to talk to your professors if you want to build relationships with them and there are so many faculty members during lab that you can always find somebody to help you or critique your work. I personally enjoy having a lot of people in my class but that's just my preference.

I wish I could tell you more about Marquette and Iowa but you probably know just as much as I do from going on the interviews. Good luck and congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
Diversity is also a factor which I'm concerned too, but I thought Marquette is less diverse as well? This is con for me..For specialization, I called about Marquette and asked about that. They said if that is something you are interested in dental school, the faculties will do their best to help you get in. They told me a certain number of specialization rate, which I don't remember...

Can't decide from these 3 choices:

Marquette
  • pros: city seems nice, people are friendly, the school is brand new, clinics are great
  • cons: not sure how Marquette is perceived by others, will it be harder to specialize?
Iowa
  • pros: known for its strong clinical reputation, has every speciality
  • cons: city is too small for me, not much diversity at all in the student population from what I saw, which is extremely important to me.
NYU
  • pros: large patient pool, known globally, a lot of diversity, CEREC/invisalign, NYC, good reputation for being clinically strong
  • cons: hard to specialize? large class size, cost of living
Opinions? Any one want to share their experiences?

Kulfi, what did you end up choosing?

i'd probably go to marquette. always remember, you are there to be a student and nothing else. you can't live a 'baller lifestyle' and party it up in NYC unless you have $$. i feel like a lot of people forget that part. and no, using loan money to go out often isn't feasible in my honest opinion

don't get me wrong, i love NYU, but it's just too expensive even with a scholarship. not worth it...unless you're rich in which case YOLO.

Dentalluv- what school are you hoping for or what school have you been accepted to?

Dentalluv- what school are you hoping for or what school have you been accepted to?

Accepted to buffalo and Iowa! Was hoping a spot at Marquette being that I'm from Wisconsin. But I'm thrilled to be going to Iowa!