Marriage and Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wanderingorion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So now that the first acceptance has come, now to switch the focus to the $$. I got hitched in May of this year, and learned that I have to log my spouse's income along with my own.

Are there any other financial considerations when it comes to med school now that I'm married?

Also, any suggestions in starting the journey of traversing the financial aid world at this point for school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
would love to know this too

Members don't see this ad :)
This may be the blind leading the blind, but I think the only consideration you have to make is that you have to submit your spouses info along with your parents for financial aid applications.

When you get packages, obviously know that the budget is just for you, not a spouse. A spouse is expected to find another source of income.

It might be worth paying attention to couple's housing options at potential schools.

Because you have four to six potential incomes at play in financial aid packages (yours, spouses, parents, and step parents) remember to gather your documents early.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This may be the blind leading the blind, but I think the only consideration you have to make is that you have to submit your spouses info along with your parents for financial aid applications.

When you get packages, obviously know that the budget is just for you, not a spouse. A spouse is expected to find another source of income.

It might be worth paying attention to couple's housing options at potential schools.

Because you have four to six potential incomes at play in financial aid packages (yours, spouses, parents, and step parents) remember to gather your documents early.

I just entered my spouses on my FAFSA, considering we both netted around 25K combined last year.

I just entered my spouses on my FAFSA, considering we both netted around 25K combined last year.

Check with the schools you applied to, but many of them require parents info on the FAFSA as well, even if the form itself says it isn't required. If parents are divorced, you include custodial parents info on the FAFSA. Depending on the school (and most schools will ask for this), you fill in non custodial parent info on a supplemental financial aid form if applicable.