Marriage and Medical School- interesting case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AbujaMan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there have been threads about this before but I think i have a tough one to crack. Both myself and my girlfriend are premed and we're one year apart- Im applying this summer and shes applying next year. The question is, when to wed. Since we're in New York, hypothetically we could both go to schools in the city but those are the more competitive ones and otherwise a lot of the schools are far from eachother. I figured wed wait until we see where she gets in but either way, we're in for a tough one. Any pointers?

Members don't see this ad.

If married you two may have more pull at one school as long as you both have the credentials to get in. Pastor Polly marrying you two when either of you has a 2.5 isn't going to get you in together. However, marriage is a bigger committment than medical education so obviously do not rush into marriage so that you both get into the same medical school. There is not much pull for you two to get into the same school, however marriage does count for something.

....to the Spouses and Partners forum. You might get advice on this from people that may have already gone through it. This question has actually been asked many times before.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know there have been threads about this before but I think i have a tough one to crack. Both myself and my girlfriend are premed and we're one year apart- Im applying this summer and shes applying next year. The question is, when to wed. Since we're in New York, hypothetically we could both go to schools in the city but those are the more competitive ones and otherwise a lot of the schools are far from eachother. I figured wed wait until we see where she gets in but either way, we're in for a tough one. Any pointers?

I really wish I could help you. Me and boyfriend are 2 years apart in terms of our med school education. I am currently applying and I am not going to his med school. We are hoping to eventually live together during his residency. The very best time to get married would probably be after her 1st year. My boyfriend is doing research next year (before his third year) so I'll have the summer after my first year off and he'll have all next year "off" so we hope to get married then... even though I'm waiting for the ring :p I will warn you that it is VERY hard to be dating someone else on this path, but to have someone understand what you are going through can be the greatest gift in the world. I wish you the best of luck.

The question is, when to wed. Since we're in New York, hypothetically we could both go to schools in the city but those are the more competitive ones and otherwise a lot of the schools are far from eachother. I figured wed wait until we see where she gets in but either way, we're in for a tough one.

If she got in somewhere far away, would you not get married until you completed med school? What would you consider at that point? I couldn't tell from your post above what you meant by waiting to get married if she doesn't get in to your school.

I know your estimation will be based off incomplete information as she probably hasn't yet taken the MCAT, but will you both be similarly competitive applicants?

Your best bet for now is to apply to as many schools as you can that are geographically close to lots of other schools.

Down the road if she is a good applicant and merits an interview at whatever school you matriculate to, being your wife would certainly give her an extra bit of credence in expressing her intense desire to attend. This potentially could help in the final acceptance stage too.