Marriage and medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachel

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
smile.gif

This is for those of you out there in osteo school who are married. How hard is it to be married and in osteo school? Do you get to spend any time with your sig other? How does being in osteo school affect your marriage? Both the negative and positive aspects. Any input would be greatly appreciated
smile.gif

Thanks,
Rachel

Members don't see this ad.

Rachel,
I am a 3rd year osteo. student and I've been married for 7 years. This education is demanding on a marriage but I haven't had any horrible experiences. The first year of med school, we lived in different cities because we had a house to sell. It wasn't fun being apart but it was a mixed blessing because it's hard to do anything besides studying the first year anyway. There is a lot of guilt when your spouse is at home and you have to study. I just started my third year and there are more demands on relationships. Mostly because the schedule is unpredictable and plans either can't be made or have to be changed because of it. In my opinion, it is important to have a spouse who is understanding of the demands of the profession, has his own interests to pursue, and who realizes the sacrifices you BOTH are going to have to make for one of you to become a doctor.

Good Luck,
Karen

Hi, I am a 3rd year Osteopathic student and I have been married for 2 years. My wife is very supportive and both of us know that by supporting each other, we will get the medical degree.

Of course we spend less time together because of my busy schedule and long study hours. However, we cherish the free time we have and we make sure those holidays are not wasted.

To make a long story short, I am glad I made that decision to get marry. I can't imagine what will happen if I am still single now.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Rachel:

My wife and I both worked before I came to med school, and we both feel that we actually spend more time together now than we did before. It just tends to be in cycles, like two good weeks with more free time, then a week of less free time due to tests, etc...

Good luck

Thankyou guys for your words of encouragement... Im not married yet but I will be spending some part of my osteo education as a wife...I was concerned as to how me being in med school would affect the guy Id marry....i.e. are there more positives than negatives etc.. I guess all that matters is to have some by your side who's understanding and realizes that its all worth it in the end.
smile.gif
Thankyou alll once again!!!!

P.S. I plan on taking the MCATs in April but have not come up with the best study method.. Is Kaplan worth the 1k+? Since you guys are already there, give me some advice on the easiest way for me to get there
frown.gif
(...by the way I'm actually working as a teacher in NYC teaching science. I think that would be very favorable right?
smile.gif
And Im gonna hook up with a an osteo that I can shadow soon hopefully
smile.gif

I used both Kaplan and Princeton in 2 different MCATs. In comparison, I like Princeton better. But, it has been more than 5 years ago when I took the test and things has changed since. So not much help from here!!

Here's an interesting story: My brother got accepted, and then got ENGAGED. The marriage was postponed until he graduated.

He felt that if the relationship was ever to be under any strain, it would be during his years in school. If his relationship was strong enough, it would make it through the hell. Well, it did - and a week after he graduated, he got married.

I do have to say this, though - he lived in the same town with her the whole time. I can't put a spin on things if it were long distance (and give much credit to those who did it).

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]