Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Marriage before you start 1st year, will you have time to spend with your spouse?

Discussion in 'Dental' started by pibozh, Dec 4, 2005.

1. pibozh

pibozh Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Marriage before you start 1st year, will you have time to spend with your spouse?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kerrydds06

kerrydds06 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I've been married 7 years now and if there is one think I learned is you HAVE TO MAKE TIME!
    Personally, I do not do any work on the weekends unless there is a major exam. This compensates for the long evenings during the week.
    Lunch time adds 5 hours to the week so just grab a bite and plug away. You have to get organized and you will succeed in School and at home.
    Read the book Fighting for your Marriage, Just like in dentistry, Preventative measures works in many aspects of life.
    Good luck.

4. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    Everything he said. A good marriage gives a lot of extra support for dealing with the hassles of dental school.

5. jreth

jreth Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

common now, there certainly are harder things in life to worry about! i say get married now so that in 10 months you'll be sick of each other and will welcome a distraction. ;) i got married end of 1st year and am having a great time! . . . so suck it up, get her on-board for the ride ("yes honey, I fully expect that you will be a busy man during dental school but I'll love you anyways") and then go for it. (and no "buts" unless it is: "but my wife has a 9 yr-old daughter and works weekends" . . . then i'll be able to relate) :thumbup:

6. TucsonDDS

TucsonDDS Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Would your fiance be moving out to school with you. If so then I say get married, it may give you that little extra incentive to work out problems if you are already married. If she/he is going to stay a fiance or just a boy/girlfriend then they may feel like "I moved away from all my friends, family, job, support system, etc. and this jerk hasn't even proposed to me. Screw him and this boring life stuck at home and I am going home."

Basically, if you love them and plan on marrying them in the future just do it now. And by the way, you may never find anyone else to put up with all your crap, I know I couldn't.

7. Dental Mom

7+ Year Member

I've been married for 9 yrs :) ....I to say get married now if you feel this is the right person.

I think is nice and so much better to have someone at home to come to after a long day with the books. You will have time to spend together. If people with kids are finding the time, why can't you that will have no family? :)

Make sure you explain how hard things are going to be financially living off loans, and how most of the house chores would have to be done by the other when you are too busy. Good communication is the key.

Good luck! :luck:

8. FIXENSMILES01

FIXENSMILES01 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Although I Am Going Into The Advansed Standing Programs , I Just Set The MARRIAGE Date For July 15 Th Of 2006, I Hope To Be Somewhere In New York Either Nyu Or Stonybrook. I Am Not Worried About My Relationship. If You Have Faith In Yourself And Look Back On All You Have Been Through In Your Relationship You Will Relize It Is The Hard Times And The Way You Delt With Them As A Team, This Is What Defines You And Your Signifigant Other. There Is No Success Without Struggle And I Feel That This Applies To Relationships As Well. Whether It Be Marriage Or What Ever. I Say This Because I Relate To My Grandparents Who Were Married Over 50 Years And It Was There Support That They Gave Each Other That Saw Them Through And Of Course Patience And Understanding. In My Case My Soon To Be Wife If A Practicing Lawyer In Med-mal Practice, She Represents Our Side Thank God , But, It Is Her Understanding Of What It Takes To Be A Professional And That Makes All The Differece . So Our Future Looks Great And It Can't Compare To The Small Problems Of Us Going Through My Residency For 4 More Years. Happy Holidays To All And God Bless-bill

9. lnn2

lnn2 Oral Fixation
    7+ Year Member

Is English a prerequisite for admission to dental school? :confused:

10. pibozh

pibozh Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    +pity+

11. pibozh

pibozh Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    That's mean... :thumbdown:

12. DentistBunaHay

5+ Year Member

how did you capitalize every single word????? wow! that's what i call manual dexterity right there. Try it people, while you're typing, it's so freaking hard!! haha.

13. rocknightmare

rocknightmare Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student

sounds like it was from a cell phone.. with T9

where it automatically caps every new word.. stupid phone btw.

14. Hot pickle baby

Hot pickle baby Membership Revoked
    Removed

Simple answer. IF YOU HAVE TO POST ON SDN WHETHER YOU SHOULD GET MARRIED OR NOT THEN THE ANSWER IS CLEARLY .....................................................................................................................................NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I put this up for the most stupid thread imaginable?

If so mods, lets do it!

15. pibozh

pibozh Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    If this thread sounds stupid to you DO NOTTTT READ IT :mad: Who asked for your opinion???Now get the hell out of my tread A*&$%^&$ I can't belive how mean somebody can be :mad:

16. Hot pickle baby

Removed

Hey now, if you have to post on the Student Doctor Network and ask if you should get married, I am just saying, there are counselors out there for that.

But then you sound so insecure, if you are going to my school, your woman may leave you for someone cool like me. So marry her if you have to, but thats just more paperwork later for a divorce. :laugh:

Can I still nominate this thread? Normally thread that are ridiculous give me a laugh and I move on. But seriously man, you want people to tell you whether or not to get MARRIED in a PUBLIC FORUM????????? :laugh: :love: :laugh: :love: :laugh:

17. Hot pickle baby

Removed

Hey I agree with you 1000%

however, APHISTIS, did you post on SDN first and ask others if you should get married or not like this guy?

I would hope not!

Does this guy start threads when its time to take a poo.

THREAD: Hello SDN, Can I take a poo now or should I wait? Plese post your comments.

You gotta agree right?

18. Hot pickle baby

Removed

On a more serious note, I think he should marry the guy.

19. jreth

jreth Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I think you should poo. I tried not taking a poo once and it hurt bad. I'd try it again, but I'm traumatized and don't think I could take it. In fact, I spend most of my days on the pot because I never want to not poo again!! :)

Hey, getting married is scary, sometimes you need to vent, don't poo on his parade!

JR

20. Hot pickle baby

Removed

hahahahahah I think I will go poo now that I have been told so.

I think he should marry the man.

21. pibozh

pibozh Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I never asked If I should get married or not. I wanted to get some insights from people who had same experience. Starting dental school at the same time you are getting married might cause some issues which I'm pretty sure you don't understand a bit.

I sent you a private message and I asked you not bother my thread if you think it's stupid. DON'T BOTHER :mad:

22. Hot pickle baby

Removed

I got it. Dont pm me again if you are going to say such nasty things. If you cant say them here then dont say them in private.

If I were your mother I would wash your mouth out with soap.

I hope you and your man are happy together.

23. Twisterish

Twisterish New Member

Dental Student
    I have been following this thread and I found it really helpful. I agree with Pibozh. If you don't think it's helpful then "Don't Bother". You are disrespecting all of us

24. Hot pickle baby

Removed

Hmm I agree. If you cant contribute then dont!

FURTHERMORE, I also agree that this guy shouldnt be sending me private messages ANYMORE!

25. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    i always tend to stay away from posting on threads like this. however, i couldnt help myself but agreeing that if you have to post on a public forum and needing advice on wether you should marry someone or not then you arent ready to marry that person.

it pisses me off that marriage now a days has become a joke. no wonder there is a 60% divorce rate. people dont know if they should or not and then comes the divorce.

just dont marry her dude. you dont love her. looking at your posts i can tell that you arent in love with her and it will be a mistake to get married.

26. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist

like oh my gosh :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

27. Excited2006

Excited2006 New Member

Pre-Dental
    give the guy/girl a break :( It's not like they're going to get married/not get married solely based on what you say. He/She probably cares a lot about this particular significant other and doesn't want to screw things up with bad timing.

28. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist

no chance in screwing things up any more than already are. hope he is lucky enough that she doesnt read his posts on SDN. i would have dropped him in a heart beat if i was her and found him asking people wether he should marry or not.

29. pibozh

pibozh Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

30. pibozh

pibozh Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Well said, That's exactly what it is. I wish I had more ability to filter some of these posts that don't have a purpose just to get a reaction from others.

31. pibozh

pibozh Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It's not cool to be mean, how old are you? His english isn't perfect, Does it mean you should make fun of him? You are/will be among top 5% educated people in America

32. Hot pickle baby

Removed

you should get married. :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

now get a life.

33. dentwannabe

dentwannabe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

if anyone needs to get a life its you for posting on a thread so many freakin times where you only offered advice once.

34. phremius

phremius Dentist
    10+ Year Member

yeah go get married, you have a lot more time in dental school than current students let on (the amount of overstudying people do is just insane) esp. if you just need to pass.

35. bpenly

bpenly Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I have been married for almost five years and have been with my wife for almost eleven years total. We have a six month old daughter and I will be starting school in the fall. I don't think that getting married should make any difference in how you do in school. The younger, single folks likely spend their free time partying and going out, you'll probably do the same except your spouse will be with you.

The key is to realize that it is four years of time well spent so that you will have much more time as you get older together. This is a concept that no spouse can deny is wonderful. On top of that, your income will likely be quite high as compared to any other job you could get.

What is your alternative? Get a job with a bachelors degree? You'll end up working 60+ hours a week anyway, except it will be for somebody else and it will be for the rest of your life. Then you won't have enough time for your spouse anyway.

36. jr8047

jr8047 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member