Marriage before you start 1st year, will you have time to spend with your spouse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pibozh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Marriage before you start 1st year, will you have time to spend with your spouse?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been married 7 years now and if there is one think I learned is you HAVE TO MAKE TIME!
Personally, I do not do any work on the weekends unless there is a major exam. This compensates for the long evenings during the week.
Lunch time adds 5 hours to the week so just grab a bite and plug away. You have to get organized and you will succeed in School and at home.
Read the book Fighting for your Marriage, Just like in dentistry, Preventative measures works in many aspects of life.
Good luck.

kerrydds06 said:
I've been married 7 years now and if there is one think I learned is you HAVE TO MAKE TIME!
Personally, I do not do any work on the weekends unless there is a major exam. This compensates for the long evenings during the week.
Lunch time adds 5 hours to the week so just grab a bite and plug away. You have to get organized and you will succeed in School and at home.
Read the book Fighting for your Marriage, Just like in dentistry, Preventative measures works in many aspects of life.
Good luck.
Everything he said. A good marriage gives a lot of extra support for dealing with the hassles of dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
common now, there certainly are harder things in life to worry about! i say get married now so that in 10 months you'll be sick of each other and will welcome a distraction. ;) i got married end of 1st year and am having a great time! . . . so suck it up, get her on-board for the ride ("yes honey, I fully expect that you will be a busy man during dental school but I'll love you anyways") and then go for it. (and no "buts" unless it is: "but my wife has a 9 yr-old daughter and works weekends" . . . then i'll be able to relate) :thumbup:

Would your fiance be moving out to school with you. If so then I say get married, it may give you that little extra incentive to work out problems if you are already married. If she/he is going to stay a fiance or just a boy/girlfriend then they may feel like "I moved away from all my friends, family, job, support system, etc. and this jerk hasn't even proposed to me. Screw him and this boring life stuck at home and I am going home."

Basically, if you love them and plan on marrying them in the future just do it now. And by the way, you may never find anyone else to put up with all your crap, I know I couldn't.

I've been married for 9 yrs :) ....I to say get married now if you feel this is the right person.

I think is nice and so much better to have someone at home to come to after a long day with the books. You will have time to spend together. If people with kids are finding the time, why can't you that will have no family? :)

Make sure you explain how hard things are going to be financially living off loans, and how most of the house chores would have to be done by the other when you are too busy. Good communication is the key.

Good luck! :luck:

Although I Am Going Into The Advansed Standing Programs , I Just Set The MARRIAGE Date For July 15 Th Of 2006, I Hope To Be Somewhere In New York Either Nyu Or Stonybrook. I Am Not Worried About My Relationship. If You Have Faith In Yourself And Look Back On All You Have Been Through In Your Relationship You Will Relize It Is The Hard Times And The Way You Delt With Them As A Team, This Is What Defines You And Your Signifigant Other. There Is No Success Without Struggle And I Feel That This Applies To Relationships As Well. Whether It Be Marriage Or What Ever. I Say This Because I Relate To My Grandparents Who Were Married Over 50 Years And It Was There Support That They Gave Each Other That Saw Them Through And Of Course Patience And Understanding. In My Case My Soon To Be Wife If A Practicing Lawyer In Med-mal Practice, She Represents Our Side Thank God , But, It Is Her Understanding Of What It Takes To Be A Professional And That Makes All The Differece . So Our Future Looks Great And It Can't Compare To The Small Problems Of Us Going Through My Residency For 4 More Years. Happy Holidays To All And God Bless-bill

FIXENSMILES01 said:
Although I Am Going Into The Advansed Standing Programs , I Just Set The MARRIAGE Date For July 15 Th Of 2006, I Hope To Be Somewhere In New York Either Nyu Or Stonybrook. I Am Not Worried About My Relationship. If You Have Faith In Yourself And Look Back On All You Have Been Through In Your Relationship You Will Relize It Is The Hard Times And The Way You Delt With Them As A Team, This Is What Defines You And Your Signifigant Other. There Is No Success Without Struggle And I Feel That This Applies To Relationships As Well. Whether It Be Marriage Or What Ever. I Say This Because I Relate To My Grandparents Who Were Married Over 50 Years And It Was There Support That They Gave Each Other That Saw Them Through And Of Course Patience And Understanding. In My Case My Soon To Be Wife If A Practicing Lawyer In Med-mal Practice, She Represents Our Side Thank God , But, It Is Her Understanding Of What It Takes To Be A Professional And That Makes All The Differece . So Our Future Looks Great And It Can't Compare To The Small Problems Of Us Going Through My Residency For 4 More Years. Happy Holidays To All And God Bless-bill
Is English a prerequisite for admission to dental school? :confused:

lnn2 said:
Is English a prerequisite for admission to dental school? :confused:

That's mean... :thumbdown:

Originally Posted by FIXENSMILES01

how did you capitalize every single word????? wow! that's what i call manual dexterity right there. Try it people, while you're typing, it's so freaking hard!! haha.

DentistBunaHay said:
how did you capitalize every single word????? wow! that's what i call manual dexterity right there. Try it people, while you're typing, it's so freaking hard!! haha.

sounds like it was from a cell phone.. with T9

where it automatically caps every new word.. stupid phone btw.

pibozh said:
Hello my friends in SDN,

I have a very very hard time to make a decision here. I need some advice, It is a very hard situation.

I want to get married but the question is WHEN? At one side I am starting Dental School next Fall. I am afraid that the combination of 1st year in Dental school and starting new life as a married couple wouldn't be a good Combo. You want to have enough time to spend with your spouse at the begining. I dont know if I will have enough time for that or not

Should I wait 2 more years after I finished my 2nd year and then get married?I heard dental school gets easier after first 2 years. or should I get married before 1st year and I will have enough time to spend with my wife...

Let me know if you were in this situation and how that worked or if you have seen people in same situation and what happened...

Thanks alot

Simple answer. IF YOU HAVE TO POST ON SDN WHETHER YOU SHOULD GET MARRIED OR NOT THEN THE ANSWER IS CLEARLY .....................................................................................................................................NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I put this up for the most stupid thread imaginable?

If so mods, lets do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hot pickle baby said:
Simple answer. IF YOU HAVE TO POST ON SDN WHETHER YOU SHOULD GET MARRIED OR NOT THEN THE ANSWER IS CLEARLY .....................................................................................................................................NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I put this up for the most stupid thread imaginable?

If so mods, lets do it!

If this thread sounds stupid to you DO NOTTTT READ IT :mad: Who asked for your opinion???Now get the hell out of my tread A*&$%^&$ I can't belive how mean somebody can be :mad:

pibozh said:
If this thread sounds stupid to you DO NOTTTT ANSWER IT :mad: Who asked for your opinion???Now get the hell out of my tread A*&$%^&$ I can't belive how mean somebody can be :mad:

Hey now, if you have to post on the Student Doctor Network and ask if you should get married, I am just saying, there are counselors out there for that.

But then you sound so insecure, if you are going to my school, your woman may leave you for someone cool like me. So marry her if you have to, but thats just more paperwork later for a divorce. :laugh:

Can I still nominate this thread? Normally thread that are ridiculous give me a laugh and I move on. But seriously man, you want people to tell you whether or not to get MARRIED in a PUBLIC FORUM????????? :laugh: :love: :laugh: :love: :laugh:

aphistis said:
Everything he said. A good marriage gives a lot of extra support for dealing with the hassles of dental school.

Hey I agree with you 1000%

however, APHISTIS, did you post on SDN first and ask others if you should get married or not like this guy?

I would hope not!

Does this guy start threads when its time to take a poo.

THREAD: Hello SDN, Can I take a poo now or should I wait? Plese post your comments.

You gotta agree right?

On a more serious note, I think he should marry the guy.

Hot pickle baby said:
THREAD: Hello SDN, Can I take a poo now or should I wait? Plese post your comments.

You gotta agree right?

I think you should poo. I tried not taking a poo once and it hurt bad. I'd try it again, but I'm traumatized and don't think I could take it. In fact, I spend most of my days on the pot because I never want to not poo again!! :)

Hey, getting married is scary, sometimes you need to vent, don't poo on his parade!

JR

jreth said:
I think you should poo. I tried not taking a poo once and it hurt bad. I'd try it again, but I'm traumatized and don't think I could take it. In fact, I spend most of my days on the pot because I never want to not poo again!! :)

Hey, getting married is scary, sometimes you need to vent, don't poo on his parade!

JR

hahahahahah I think I will go poo now that I have been told so.

I think he should marry the man.

Hot pickle baby said:
hahahahahah I think I will go poo now that I have been told so.

I think he should marry the man.

I never asked If I should get married or not. I wanted to get some insights from people who had same experience. Starting dental school at the same time you are getting married might cause some issues which I'm pretty sure you don't understand a bit.

I sent you a private message and I asked you not bother my thread if you think it's stupid. DON'T BOTHER :mad:

pibozh said:
I never asked If I should get married or not. I wanted to get some insights from people who had same experience. Starting dental school at the same time you are getting married might cause some issues which I'm pretty sure you don't understand a bit.

I sent you a private message and I asked you not bother my thread if you think it's stupid. DON'T BOTHER :mad:

I got it. Dont pm me again if you are going to say such nasty things. If you cant say them here then dont say them in private.

If I were your mother I would wash your mouth out with soap.

I hope you and your man are happy together.

I have been following this thread and I found it really helpful. I agree with Pibozh. If you don't think it's helpful then "Don't Bother". You are disrespecting all of us

Twisterish said:
I have been following this thread and I found it really helpful. I agree with Pibozh. If you don't think it's helpful then "Don't Bother". You are disrespecting all of us

Hmm I agree. If you cant contribute then dont!

FURTHERMORE, I also agree that this guy shouldnt be sending me private messages ANYMORE!

i always tend to stay away from posting on threads like this. however, i couldnt help myself but agreeing that if you have to post on a public forum and needing advice on wether you should marry someone or not then you arent ready to marry that person.

it pisses me off that marriage now a days has become a joke. no wonder there is a 60% divorce rate. people dont know if they should or not and then comes the divorce.

just dont marry her dude. you dont love her. looking at your posts i can tell that you arent in love with her and it will be a mistake to get married.

give the guy/girl a break :( It's not like they're going to get married/not get married solely based on what you say. He/She probably cares a lot about this particular significant other and doesn't want to screw things up with bad timing.

Excited2006 said:
give the guy/girl a break :( It's not like they're going to get married/not get married solely based on what you say. He/She probably cares a lot about this particular significant other and doesn't want to screw things up with bad timing.

no chance in screwing things up any more than already are. hope he is lucky enough that she doesnt read his posts on SDN. i would have dropped him in a heart beat if i was her and found him asking people wether he should marry or not.

PERFECT3435 said:
it pisses me off that marriage now a days has become a joke... QUOTE]

FOR THE LAST TIME; I wanted to know if you get married right before you start dental school, with the heavy load of courses and school work that you have to do at first, will you have time to spend with your spouse? that's all. It wasn't anything about if I should get married or not, that's your own thought about this thread. I had so many private messages from people with same problem. You don't understand. It's really hard when you love someboday and you want to be with them all the time but also you are about to start dental school that requires huge amount of energy and time. Don't Judge people when you don't know anything about them.

Excited2006 said:

Well said, That's exactly what it is. I wish I had more ability to filter some of these posts that don't have a purpose just to get a reaction from others.

PERFECT3435 said:
like oh my gosh :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It's not cool to be mean, how old are you? His english isn't perfect, Does it mean you should make fun of him? You are/will be among top 5% educated people in America

pibozh said:
It's not cool to be mean, how old are you? His english isn't perfect, Does it mean you should make fun of him? You are/will be among top 5% educated people in America

you should get married. :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

now get a life.

Hot pickle baby said:
you should get married. :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

now get a life.

if anyone needs to get a life its you for posting on a thread so many freakin times where you only offered advice once.

yeah go get married, you have a lot more time in dental school than current students let on (the amount of overstudying people do is just insane) esp. if you just need to pass.

pibozh said:

I have been married for almost five years and have been with my wife for almost eleven years total. We have a six month old daughter and I will be starting school in the fall. I don't think that getting married should make any difference in how you do in school. The younger, single folks likely spend their free time partying and going out, you'll probably do the same except your spouse will be with you.

The key is to realize that it is four years of time well spent so that you will have much more time as you get older together. This is a concept that no spouse can deny is wonderful. On top of that, your income will likely be quite high as compared to any other job you could get.

What is your alternative? Get a job with a bachelors degree? You'll end up working 60+ hours a week anyway, except it will be for somebody else and it will be for the rest of your life. Then you won't have enough time for your spouse anyway.

pibozh said:
PERFECT3435 said:
it pisses me off that marriage now a days has become a joke... QUOTE]

FOR THE LAST TIME; I wanted to know if you get married right before you start dental school, with the heavy load of courses and school work that you have to do at first, will you have time to spend with your spouse? that's all. It wasn't anything about if I should get married or not, that's your own thought about this thread. I had so many private messages from people with same problem. You don't understand. It's really hard when you love someboday and you want to be with them all the time but also you are about to start dental school that requires huge amount of energy and time. Don't Judge people when you don't know anything about them.

why not just live with her and get married later? (just curious-not meaning to pry)