marriage during med school

Vasiley Zaitsev

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hola!

I'm a bit young for this board, but thinking about marriage *during* medical school, maybe between the 2nd and 3rd year. Experiences? Advice? I'm totally open.

Oh, and maybe marriage after med school, but before internship. *ducks*

owcc16

Members don't see this ad.

First bit of advice when thinking about marrying during medical school: Find someone you want to marry. AFTER you've made a decision that you have, indeed, found THE ONE and you want to take THE PLUNGE you'll have to decide WHEN to marry based on more circumstances between the two of you than could reasonably be listed. Ultimately the decision of when to marry is something that can only be decided by the two people marrying. So, I cannot tell you, "Yes, do it" or "No, don't do it". Sorry! ;) I can tell you that medical school is not easy. Residency is not easy as well. Depending on what you choose to specialize in, the rest of your career may not be terribly easy. I've known couples who got married before med school, during every one of the four years of medical school (yes, even during third year), and I've met a few who married during residency. When they married seemed to be absolutely no indicator of the quality of their marriages or the outcomes. The only medical marriages I've seen fail to date (ie in the last five years) have been those between fellow medical students/residents. I really can't explain that phenomenon, but it definitely didn't seem to have anything to do with the timing of the marriage per se (ie some of them married before and some during medical school).

Jennifer :)

I have to aggree with radspouse, the timing doesn't matter, just the person.

I will be marrying the love of my life before he starts med school. He doesn't even know where he will attend yet. But I know, he is the one for me, and I am the one for him. So, I have no worries.