Marriage in MS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nvshelat

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a convenient time to get married during medical school? I've heard that between 3rd and 4th year rotations is a good time; a friend I know somehow pushed her rotations together and ended up with a good block of time off - is this possible at all schools?

Members don't see this ad.

nvshelat said:
Is there a convenient time to get married during medical school? I've heard that between 3rd and 4th year rotations is a good time; a friend I know somehow pushed her rotations together and ended up with a good block of time off - is this possible at all schools?

Check with your individual school as far as when you will have breaks.
I got married between 1st and 2nd year, and several of my friends got married between 2nd and 3rd year.

Your school should be able to tell you pretty far in advance how much time off you'll have between school years.

I got married June before MSI...so far its been great! you will have the WHOLE summer off between MSI -II...that seems like an ideal time. Also MS-4 is a lot of easy electives...lots of free time, may be a good time too!

Good luck! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got married over Christmas break during 1st year. I thought I was a great time. Classes were done, so no studying. Its Christmas, so family was already in town. Once again Christmas, so no money spent decorating the church or reception hall.

The only downfall... short honeymoon and I already got yelled at for combining a Christmas and Anniversary gift. I guess your not supposed to do that???? How was I supposed to know?

summer between first and second year for me! I thought that was a great time because the honeymoon was a much needed vacation... so I enjoyed it all that much more!

Hey I know how you are feeling about the combining of gifts. Luckily before my wife and I got married I was specifically told never combine because my wife had anniversary(18), christmas(25), and birthday(25) all with in one week. My advice is lots of little things because it gives her lots to open.

I got married in the middle of my undergrad so this thread was entertaining mostly for me

kylecare said:
Hey I know how you are feeling about the combining of gifts. Luckily before my wife and I got married I was specifically told never combine because my wife had anniversary(18), christmas(25), and birthday(25) all with in one week. My advice is lots of little things because it gives her lots to open.

I got married in the middle of my undergrad so this thread was entertaining mostly for me

Ummm. My wife told me BEFORE we got married I couldn't combine gifts. I did it anyway. Actually, Ive done it two years in a row. LOL. She was really mad the second time. Then she got even madder cause I thought I was funny. At least you get to make up afterward. I probably wont do it again this year.

Anniversary Dec 27

gagolden said:
I got married over Christmas break during 1st year. I thought I was a great time. Classes were done, so no studying. Its Christmas, so family was already in town. Once again Christmas, so no money spent decorating the church or reception hall.

The only downfall... short honeymoon and I already got yelled at for combining a Christmas and Anniversary gift. I guess your not supposed to do that???? How was I supposed to know?

I reiterate what gagolden said. I got married over christmas break and it worked out very well (one of my friends did too). summer between your 1st and 2nd year is probably a better time, because you have a few months off in most cases, and wont have to rush your honeymoon. People I was talking to said 4th year may not be the best because of the interviewing you will be doing for resisdency and trying to plan a move to another area to start it and let me tell you, planning a wedding is a major league pain in the ass so it might be good to get that out of the way now rather then when you are going through another major life step at the same time.

kylecare said:

I got married toward the beginning of undergrad so this thread was a chuckle for me as well. In all honetsy, when you get married depends on what works for you. Examine your options, that's what my wife and I did. Good luck and a preemptive congrats as well!

ImNoSuperman said:
I got married toward the beginning of undergrad so this thread was a chuckle for me as well. In all honetsy, when you get married depends on what works for you. Examine your options, that's what my wife and I did. Good luck and a preemptive congrats as well!

I agree. People need to do what works for them. I am getting married after winter quarter. It works well for us because it won't be too hot (feb 25 in AZ) and we will be able to go on our honeymoon while I'm on break. A friend of mine did the same thing last year and it worked out for them as well.

Some also get vacation during 3rd/4th year and marry during then.

There are plenty of opportunities although you might look like a zombie :smuggrin: I jest! I jest!

I was able to arrange my two months off during 3rd and 4th year rotations to come together over the summer, and got married in June. I was lucky that they allowed me to do so. Especially at my school.