nvshelat

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
969
7
Status
Is there a convenient time to get married during medical school? I've heard that between 3rd and 4th year rotations is a good time; a friend I know somehow pushed her rotations together and ended up with a good block of time off - is this possible at all schools?
 

FutureNavyDOc

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2006
281
0
37
2nd cornfield on the left
Status
Medical Student
nvshelat said:
Is there a convenient time to get married during medical school? I've heard that between 3rd and 4th year rotations is a good time; a friend I know somehow pushed her rotations together and ended up with a good block of time off - is this possible at all schools?

Check with your individual school as far as when you will have breaks.
I got married between 1st and 2nd year, and several of my friends got married between 2nd and 3rd year.

Your school should be able to tell you pretty far in advance how much time off you'll have between school years.
 

domsport

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2003
80
0
44
Visit site
Status
I got married June before MSI...so far its been great! you will have the WHOLE summer off between MSI -II...that seems like an ideal time. Also MS-4 is a lot of easy electives...lots of free time, may be a good time too!

Good luck! :thumbup:
 
About the Ads

gagolden

Call me the DOgg
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2005
243
0
Status
I got married over Christmas break during 1st year. I thought I was a great time. Classes were done, so no studying. Its Christmas, so family was already in town. Once again Christmas, so no money spent decorating the church or reception hall.

The only downfall... short honeymoon and I already got yelled at for combining a Christmas and Anniversary gift. I guess your not supposed to do that???? How was I supposed to know?
 

Shodddy18

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2004
590
6
Maine
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
summer between first and second year for me! I thought that was a great time because the honeymoon was a much needed vacation... so I enjoyed it all that much more!
 

kylecare

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2006
75
0
Davie, FL
byu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
Hey I know how you are feeling about the combining of gifts. Luckily before my wife and I got married I was specifically told never combine because my wife had anniversary(18), christmas(25), and birthday(25) all with in one week. My advice is lots of little things because it gives her lots to open.

I got married in the middle of my undergrad so this thread was entertaining mostly for me
 

gagolden

Call me the DOgg
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 17, 2005
243
0
Status
kylecare said:
Hey I know how you are feeling about the combining of gifts. Luckily before my wife and I got married I was specifically told never combine because my wife had anniversary(18), christmas(25), and birthday(25) all with in one week. My advice is lots of little things because it gives her lots to open.

I got married in the middle of my undergrad so this thread was entertaining mostly for me
Ummm. My wife told me BEFORE we got married I couldn't combine gifts. I did it anyway. Actually, Ive done it two years in a row. LOL. She was really mad the second time. Then she got even madder cause I thought I was funny. At least you get to make up afterward. I probably wont do it again this year.

Anniversary Dec 27
 

mocheese

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2003
77
0
Visit site
Status
gagolden said:
I got married over Christmas break during 1st year. I thought I was a great time. Classes were done, so no studying. Its Christmas, so family was already in town. Once again Christmas, so no money spent decorating the church or reception hall.

The only downfall... short honeymoon and I already got yelled at for combining a Christmas and Anniversary gift. I guess your not supposed to do that???? How was I supposed to know?
I reiterate what gagolden said. I got married over christmas break and it worked out very well (one of my friends did too). summer between your 1st and 2nd year is probably a better time, because you have a few months off in most cases, and wont have to rush your honeymoon. People I was talking to said 4th year may not be the best because of the interviewing you will be doing for resisdency and trying to plan a move to another area to start it and let me tell you, planning a wedding is a major league pain in the ass so it might be good to get that out of the way now rather then when you are going through another major life step at the same time.
 

ImNoSuperman

Deep Space 5
10+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2006
93
0
38
Stow, OH
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
kylecare said:
Hey I know how you are feeling about the combining of gifts. Luckily before my wife and I got married I was specifically told never combine because my wife had anniversary(18), christmas(25), and birthday(25) all with in one week. My advice is lots of little things because it gives her lots to open.

I got married in the middle of my undergrad so this thread was entertaining mostly for me
I got married toward the beginning of undergrad so this thread was a chuckle for me as well. In all honetsy, when you get married depends on what works for you. Examine your options, that's what my wife and I did. Good luck and a preemptive congrats as well!
 

azcomRob

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
20
0
Status
ImNoSuperman said:
I got married toward the beginning of undergrad so this thread was a chuckle for me as well. In all honetsy, when you get married depends on what works for you. Examine your options, that's what my wife and I did. Good luck and a preemptive congrats as well!
I agree. People need to do what works for them. I am getting married after winter quarter. It works well for us because it won't be too hot (feb 25 in AZ) and we will be able to go on our honeymoon while I'm on break. A friend of mine did the same thing last year and it worked out for them as well.
 

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
43,161
84
Wild west of Mistytown
Status
Some also get vacation during 3rd/4th year and marry during then.

There are plenty of opportunities although you might look like a zombie :smuggrin: I jest! I jest!
 

confused_amused

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2004
64
0
Status
I was able to arrange my two months off during 3rd and 4th year rotations to come together over the summer, and got married in June. I was lucky that they allowed me to do so. Especially at my school.
 
About the Ads