married and in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrArsenic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
By the time you become a doctor most people are about 26 or 27 (not including residency). I was just wondering, is it smart to get married while in medical school. There are a lot of people out there that dont care about getting married and they are concerned with their career as a doctor only. But for those of you who have done this or plan on doing this, is this a wise move to make?

Any comments would help.

Members don't see this ad.

What exactly is your concern? That you will change in residency and thus a marriage in med school might not last? That if you don't marry in med school you might not have time to find a mate later? I never viewed marriage as something that can be planned for--you meet the right person when you meet the right person. It might be in med school, it might not be. Everyone assumed I would be in my 30s before I got married, if ever, but lo and behold, I met my husband my last year of college and we got married a year later. Starting med school in August (at 25).

I have been married for 2 years, and I am just starting med school at 24. I know I got married relatively young by today's standards, but I don't think that I could go through med school without my wife. I don't think it is a hindrance to be married. However, you must ensure that you spouse makes the decision to virtually go through med school as well because if you are married during med school and residency it will seem to your spouse as if they are going through it too. It is hard on spouses b/c of the time away studying, going to classes, and functions. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got married after first year of med school - to a man with a daughter, who lives with us, no less! Its challenging, but it also makes my life MUCH better. There is NO "good time" to do ANYTHING when you're on this path, so just go with the flow, and if it happens, it happens.

Star

I'm married and have three kids, so things are a little different for me. I'm obviously a nontrad and had my family before I even went back to undergrad. There is no way I could have done this without my husband being supportive of the decision. I know a lot of doctors who got married while in the midst of medical school and none I talked to have regrets in that regard. You're usually so broke when you first get married, so what's a few school loans on top of everything else?

When I started med school, about 25% of my class was married. Now (fourth year), at least half of my class is married - only one divorce so far. Lots of people have kids... one of my classmates has 3. Med students love to complain about how hard med school is, but the truth of the matter is that if you budget your time effectively, you'll have enough time to sleep, study, and spend time with your significant other.

Plenty of people get hitched in med school. As long as you have an understanding spouse who knows that you'll have weird hours for a few years, you'll be ok. Just remember that any serious relationship -- especially a marriage -- is a long term investment.

Cheers,
doepug

I think you misunderstood me VienneseWaltz. I am not saying, "hey I am at a certain age let me find somone now and get married in a month". I am actually dating someone that I plan on marrying. I am just talking about timing. Is it wise to go through with the marriage while in med school.

I don't see any reason not to get married during medical school, assuming of course that you've found the right person. My fiance and I will both be MS1's this fall and are getting married next summer, between our first and second years of med school. I'm grateful that we'll both be in med school because we'll be going through this TOGETHER, and we'll be able to help each other. I'm also grateful that we'll be going to the same med school; that definitely makes things easier. We're planning on living in school-subsidized married-student housing, but other than that I don't think we'll be that different from any other busy young married couple. I'm very much looking forward to marrying my fiance, and I know we're going to be fine medschool or not.