1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Married and in Pharmacy School

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Cdiddy, Apr 9, 2004.

1. Cdiddy

Cdiddy Member
    7+ Year Member

I have just recently got married. I was wondering if anyone here has any insight or experience on being married and being in Pharmacy school at the same time.

Chris

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. moobymaster

moobymaster Member
    7+ Year Member

Make the newly acquired spouse pay for school.

4. off2skl

off2skl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hopefully that will be my situation next year..if I get an acceptance :) Anyway, my husband and I are both taking classes righ tnow (his are full time) as well as both of us working full time, and all the other odds and ends that go with life. Sure, some nights seem lonely when one or the other of us has to hit the books, but we know that this is a short term situation. We had a strong relationship before we married ( a year ago), so that helps. There's a phrase, "From each his ability, to each his need." We do what we can for each other and for our household, but when there's just too much on one of our plates, the other takes over.

5. Brill

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I've found married life to be pretty good in pharmacy school. I think it's great to have someone there for support (emotionally and financially). She does get kind of frustrated sometimes when I've got a few tests the next week and spend all of my time studying. I've found it's just all about time management though. You have to make time for school, but you also have to make time to be with your spouse. It's also nice to have someone to make dinner or do the wash when you've got a test the next day ;)

6. Brill

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    " There's a phrase, "From each his ability, to each his need." We do what we can for each other and for our household, but when there's just too much on one of our plates, the other takes over."

That's how we handle it too. When I've got tests coming up my wife does all the cooking, cleaning, etc., but when I don't have any tests I take over those responsibilities. She spends more time at work than I do in lecture anyway. It's working well for us so far.

7. jemc2000

jemc2000 SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Married with four kids, here. Only in my prereqs now, but my husband helps as much as possible. It helps to have somebody who wants the best for the family. It helps to have somebody for emotional support also. Plus, I don't have to spend any time dating. ;)

8. goheel

goheel Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Is pharmacy school gonna be all middle-aged married people? I hope not, since I'm 19 and single, and hoping to meet someone special in pharmacy school :)

9. moobymaster

moobymaster Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey now, married does not automatically mean middle-aged, although in my case it does.

10. jdpharmd?

jdpharmd? Turning lead into gold
    7+ Year Member

Our average age (for the entire class) is around 26 or 27, but we also have 18 and 19 year-old students. I'd say most schools have an average age closer to (maybe) 24 or so.

11. spacecowgirl

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    We have an even mix age-wise from 20-???? I don't even know how old some of my classmates are. Not too many people are married; goheel - if you're planning to meet your spouse in pharmacy school, I sure hope you are male - our class is 80% female! :laugh: Glad I wasn't looking or I would have been sorely disappointed.

I like being married and in school, although my DH and I lead entirely separate lives with him in the working world and me at school. But it's great to have the support of your spouse when things get tough :thumbup:

12. goheel

goheel Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yes, I'm a male. It's great that the percentage of female in pharmacy school is high.

13. BigBopper

BigBopper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Heh I paid for my wife's tuition/living expenses. It was hard on us at the time but it was great for us having no debt when she graduated. :cool: