Married Couples Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rangerdad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do schools have a preference or system if a husband and wife are applying during the same cycle? Should they mention each other in their personal statements, secondaries or interviews? If any experiences please share!

Members don't see this ad.

I only know of couples doing something similar during match when applying for residency.

@rangerdad Michigan had this question on its secondary application:
Are you applying as part of a "couple" who anticipates attending medical school at the same place? If Yes, please list name of other applicant. If No, leave blank.

I don't know what, if any, effect that may have on one's application. Nor do I know if the consideration they imply can be found at other schools. But perhaps it's a start.

Good luck to you in any case.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is no couples match for med school. Sorry, you're supposed to get married in residency anyhow =p

Do schools have a preference or system if a husband and wife are applying during the same cycle? Should they mention each other in their personal statements, secondaries or interviews? If any experiences please share!
Med school applicant couples of whom I've been aware (and who had disparate stats and ECs) tended to apply to large cities with multiple programs within their borders.

Miami also asked if you were applying as part of a couple.

Reactions: 1 user
We once had a couple...
Sadly, they didn't end up close in the NRMP match.

Concordant couples have a shot if they live in a good state or are in range for large metro areas.
Discordant couples will have a much harder time.

I have seen discordant couples apply MD and DO to overcome this.
They can still do an NRMP couples match.

I applied with my SO and we mentioned this in interviews. I got positive reactions - in one case my interviewer, who was the dean of admissions, took time after my interview to speak with my SO who was interviewing on the same day but had been assigned a different interviewer. We got accepted at a couple schools in common and fortunately were able to attend our favorite of these.

Reactions: 3 users
WOW! You guys motivate me!
My goal has always been attending medical school. My wife is also in school but she was planning for a PA or CRNA path (no problem with that :). We both have a medical background (Surgical Tech and Lab Tech). Since we started school I have seen her dedication and ability to succeed while juggling so many things and I really think she could be an amazing doctor. We talked about the option and I saw her getting excited so I asked this question.

I know at the end it has to come from her, but we will like to live together while achieving our professional goals. We'll see!