Married couples who both go into medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surgeongirl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could help me out with this. My husband and I both got into med school but most likely we will have to different schools and different states. Are there married couples out there that are currently going through this and if so how are you making it work? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think I see this 1x/year with my students.

You make it work by Skype/emails/texts/phone calls. And staying busy. I had one student who was a new mom and her husband was at a Carib school. So it's doable.

The hope is that the two of you will be able to do rotations together, or at least in the same city.

You'll also be surprised at how fast two years can fly by.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could help me out with this. My husband and I both got into med school but most likely we will have to different schools and different states. Are there married couples out there that are currently going through this and if so how are you making it work? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
I think I see this 1x/year with my students.

You make it work by Skype/emails/texts/phone calls. And staying busy. I had one student who was a new mom and her husband was at a Carib school. So it's doable.

The hope is that the two of you will be able to do rotations together, or at least in the same city.

You'll also be surprised at how fast two years can fly by.

Well yeah hopefully there's that I can do rotations where he might possibly be if we do decide to go to different schools. Thanks for the insight :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Off the top of my head four or five couples in my school are either married to or dating people from other schools. Obviously I cant comment on how they make it work the first couple of years but as Goro mentioned (and depending on your school's flexibility 3rd and 4th year) you may be able to be together for a good percentage of rotations.

I got into my dream school while the wife had several interviews in undesirable locations. We had made an agreement that family and happiness (in regard to where we were going to live) > personal achievement/success. So she withdrew from her interviews and applied ED to my school. She was accepted.

Risky? Of course. Worth it? Absolutely. We are best friends and couldn't imagine being away from eachother for four years.

Reactions: 1 users
A few students in my class lived across the country from their spouses while in school and they made it work. Just be prepared for it to be very hard. Goro gave great advice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Went to med school with my wife, but we were separated for residency. Now we are living together again. It sucked but we made it through by skype, texts, etc. Saw each other 1x a month for 3-5 day weekends. It made budgeting pretty tight, but we were busy and could relate to one another.

Hey guys,

Definitely doable but challenging. My marriage ended in divorce but we were separated across the country and rarely got to see each other. It easier if you come in married as opposed to starting in medical school because you have a base to build on as opposed to trying to establish a base during a chaotic time. I wish you the best.

I got into my dream school while the wife had several interviews in undesirable locations. We had made an agreement that family and happiness (in regard to where we were going to live) > personal achievement/success. So she withdrew from her interviews and applied ED to my school. She was accepted.

Risky? Of course. Worth it? Absolutely. We are best friends and couldn't imagine being away from eachother for four years.
This is the best route IMO, if you dont both get in to the same school.

Thank you all of the tips! We're still undecided lol :(