Married in med school or married in Psyc PhD Program?! Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

~Rana

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a undergrad student majoring in psychology and I graduate this upcoming June. I originally planned to go for a clinical psychology PhD and become a child clinical psychologist. But deep down in inside I feel like I have always wanted to go to med school and become a pediatrician. I have always dreamed of becoming a doctor but I steered away from it because I was too afraid, after several circumstances I have been through in my life. I know that I would probably be better with the hard sciences (I've done well in anatomy and physiology before but horrible in biochemistry and histology) rather than with research in the clinical PhD but is it even an accurate assumption that the PhD is more research oriented and to what extent? I am having the hardest time making this decision because:

1) I have not taken the required coursework or the MCAT to get into med school because I was preparing for the Psyc PhD all along.

2) I'm wondering if I will survive in med school because I've had a lot of disappointments in my life and do not want to waste time in something I won't succeed in.

3) I am worried about the medical student lifestyle and the long route leading to a residency afterwards.I am a person who works really hard to get to their dreams, that's why I have a pretty good transcript in college with a lot of activities and good grades....but I also like to have a life....and I'm getting married soon and I am wondering if my relationship will survive being a med student because most people finish medical school before they get married since it's so stressful.

I'm really worried about making such a huge decision. Please let me know if you have any information comparing the two fields or if you've been through any similar experiences.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

1) I have not taken the required coursework or the MCAT to get into med school because I was preparing for the Psyc PhD all along.
How have you prepared for a psych PhD? Because based on reading your post, I think your view of psychology is slightly worped, to say the least.

I know that I would probably be better with the hard sciences (I've done well in anatomy and physiology before but horrible in biochemistry and histology) rather than with research in the clinical PhD but is it even an accurate assumption that the PhD is more research oriented and to what extent?

Yes, a Phd is much more research oriented. It is by definition is research degree (although, I can see that in clinical psych, this is a litle blurry at times) while an MD is an applied/professional degree - at least the training.education, as far as I know you can do research with an MD as well. However, a PhD in clinical/counseling psychology also has an applied aspect. Other PhDs in psychology (e.g. social, cogntive) are purely research.

I am also a little unclear about the purpose of comparing 'hard sciences' with the psychology research. While most of us agree that 'hard sciences' classes are harder in undergrad compared to psychology, I don't think you can say the same when comparing an MD education and PhD education in psychology, at least that's what I hear consistently. It's different, but one isn't harder or easier.

I'm wondering if I will survive in med school because I've had a lot of disappointments in my life and do not want to waste time in something I won't succeed in.
we don't know you and therefore, it's hard to say whether you can succeed, but I recommend not viewing a PhD as a back up to med school. I bet some people will find what you're saying as very insulting.

I am worried about the medical student lifestyle and the long route leading to a residency afterwards.I am a person who works really hard to get to their dreams, that's why I have a pretty good transcript in college with a lot of activities and good grades....but I also like to have a life....and I'm getting married soon and I am wondering if my relationship will survive being a med student because most people finish medical school before they get married since it's so stressful.
I don't think that this would be ANY different if you were to pursue a PhD in psychology. Again, don't view a PhD as a backup. You'll be very surprised - in a bad way.

Hi,

I am a undergrad student majoring in psychology and I graduate this upcoming June. I originally planned to go for a clinical psychology PhD and become a child clinical psychologist. But deep down in inside I feel like I have always wanted to go to med school and become a pediatrician. I have always dreamed of becoming a doctor but I steered away from it because I was too afraid, after several circumstances I have been through in my life. I know that I would probably be better with the hard sciences (I've done well in anatomy and physiology before but horrible in biochemistry and histology) rather than with research in the clinical PhD but is it even an accurate assumption that the PhD is more research oriented and to what extent? I am having the hardest time making this decision because:

2) I'm wondering if I will survive in med school because I've had a lot of disappointments in my life and do not want to waste time in something I won't succeed in.

3) I am worried about the medical student lifestyle and the long route leading to a residency afterwards.I am a person who works really hard to get to their dreams, that's why I have a pretty good transcript in college with a lot of activities and good grades....but I also like to have a life....and I'm getting married soon and I am wondering if my relationship will survive being a med student because most people finish medical school before they get married since it's so stressful.

1) My sister is premed and I have many friends who have gone that route and have successfully pursued this career path. From my knowledge, without taking the appropriate courses, you can expect to do very poorly on the MCAT. Not trying to be a downer, but that is just the truth of it all. Physics, Bio, Chem, Anatomy and Physiology are all key for doing well on the exam from my understanding.

Honestly though, I would advise that you talk to your professors from the two fields about the questions you have, and whether or not what you want to get out of life meshes well with either of the two paths

Best of Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
My brother-in-law married my sister before he started med school and they're still doing fine (he's doing his fellowship now).

I'm going to have to agree with Marissa, here. Do your research, and don't use a clinical psych program as a safety school by any means. I am in a clinical psych program and live with my long-term boyfriend who is in medical school. Both programs have their intense moments, but there are certainly times when he goes out and I can't because I have too much work. The choices are very different, so really do your research on both before deciding which one is right for you.

If you are worried about the relationship aspect, I can speak for both programs, since I am in a relationship that encompasses both. Luckily, my boyfriend and I are both students, so we can study together and basically "not have lives" together. It does get more difficult when you live with others who don't understand what you are going through, but it is possible. Talk to your partner and make sure you schedule time for each other. In any program- medical or clinical psych- you need to take time for self-care and spending time with others.

I agree with what everyone above has been saying. Also, speaking as a psych grad student, pursuing your doctorate in clinical psychology comes with tons of rejection. From labs prior to applying to school, from schools during the application process, from externship/practicum sites, from clients during clinical training, not to mention the internship, post-doc, and job search processes. You need a pretty thick skin and a good sense of your strengths and weaknesses to deal with it all.

Also, my boyfriend is a medical student and I'm a psych student. Both paths are difficult and require a lot of sacrifice. An understanding partner can go a long way towards maintaining a good relationship.

I know that I would probably be better with the hard sciences (I've done well in anatomy and physiology before but horrible in biochemistry and histology) rather than with research in the clinical PhD but is it even an accurate assumption that the PhD is more research oriented and to what extent?

Yes, overall, the psych PhD is much more research oriented than the MD. Most of the MD's i know that do research either engage in extensive collaboration with research scientists or have an additional PhD or an MPH.

well get ready for way way more in grad school! I have done very well in my program and am an advanced student now, but there is disappointment every step of the way. research is full of disappointment's and difficulties, clinical work very much so (my goodness our clients have often been through so much, my work with my clients actually helps me take my disappointments in stride). but in general living life to the fullest opens you up to loss and failure, so that will come with med school too. med school can be amore straightforward path though, as difficult as it is.

from the start of my program to liscensure I am looking at 7 years. definitely less than a surgeon, but similar to a family med person. however, md's make a lot more money than we do.

I'm really worried about making such a huge decision. Please let me know if you have any information comparing the two fields or if you've been through any similar experiences.

measure twice, cut once--definantly do your research in the front to present avoidable disappointment in the back. you can never be 100% knowledgeable, but you can lear a lot more, and i suggest you invest in that!

Thank you!

I think the biggest commitment about marriage and MD or PhD programs is the level of commitment your partner has to helping you follow your dreams. As a newlywed in a PhD program, I find it so helpful to have my best friend by my side (so cheesy I know) but it does for me. Now it took a LONG time convincing, I mean the whole summer, for him to move across states with me to do this but now that we have, it was a great decision - but who knows, ask me again in 3+ years ... And then there are the marriages that also work out where the couples don't stick together during school. So you never really know.

I think the real question for you is whether you want to get a PhD or MD, regardless of what your partner wants. That's a difficult decision that only you can make. Either way its going to be tough and stressful, with and without a partner there.

As someone who got married shortly before starting a PhD program, one thing to consider is your capacity to live apart if you need to. This is true to med school or a PhD program, as you'll likely have to move at some point for a training program.

In my case, I made it work without moving because living separately was not acceptable to us. However, I know several people who had to live separately, as your spouse might not be able to up and leave at the same time.

How have you prepared for a psych PhD? Because based on reading your post, I think your view of psychology is slightly worped, to say the least.

Yes, a Phd is much more research oriented. It is by definition is research degree (although, I can see that in clinical psych, this is a litle blurry at times) while an MD is an applied/professional degree - at least the training.education, as far as I know you can do research with an MD as well. However, a PhD in clinical/counseling psychology also has an applied aspect. Other PhDs in psychology (e.g. social, cogntive) are purely research.

I am also a little unclear about the purpose of comparing 'hard sciences' with the psychology research. While most of us agree that 'hard sciences' classes are harder in undergrad compared to psychology, I don't think you can say the same when comparing an MD education and PhD education in psychology, at least that's what I hear consistently. It's different, but one isn't harder or easier.

we don't know you and therefore, it's hard to say whether you can succeed, but I recommend not viewing a PhD as a back up to med school. I bet some people will find what you're saying as very insulting.

I don't think that this would be ANY different if you were to pursue a PhD in psychology. Again, don't view a PhD as a backup. You'll be very surprised - in a bad way.
Marissa, I think your response was rather harsh.

It also didn't sound to me at all like she was saying the clinical psych phd was a "back up."

She's just looking for advice and I know it's frustrating when some people post stupid questions because they haven't done their research (not say Rana's was) but honestly some people don't know who to ask or where to look.