Married, With Children

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by venez, Jan 30, 2002.

1. venez

venez Member

i am a married mother of two ( a lovely 3 year old and an adorable 11 week old). i am planning on applying to med school in 3 or 4 years--i will be 26/27. are there any/many med students in this situation? if so, how do they fare. i am also an rn and am workign on my BSN and pscyh BA. i would love to hear from married, with children, or nurse med students. will i face any type of discrimination? thanks, mandy

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tonem

tonem Senior Member

I don't know if I faced any discrimination but its tough to really say. I guess the trick is to do some research and find out which schools are partial to non-traditional students.

Univ. of Pittsburgh
    Creighton
    Med Coll. of Wisconsin
    are three that I can think of off the top of my head. Check out this URL:

<a href="http://www.northern-town.com" target="_blank">http://www.northern-town.com</a>

Its an oldpremed forum

Oh I almost forgot I'm married and have a daughter. I think it's probably harder when mom is in medical school, but its definitely possible. There are several moms in my class. There's also a couple of former nurses.

4. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member

I am not sure that I would call 26-27 a non-trad based on age. If you interviewed when you were 25ish you would barely be older "normal" applicants. Just do something interesting in the 3-4 years off.

5. Mylaina

Mylaina Senior Member

Hmm-- Although I am not married nor in medical school yet, I thought I'd add my thoughts...

MCP Hahnemann is supposed to focus on non-traditional students also.

And I know of a woman who is doing a residency at University of Pittsburgh (and went through medical school there) with a daughter with Down's Syndrome and she was not only able to do it but loved it. Also, I'm sure having a supportive husband or significant other would help greatly!

Good luck to you!