Marrying right after filling out FAFSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mebhs15

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so im getting married in June 2005 and starting school in August 2005. When i fill out the FAFSA i wont be married, so do i put myself as single or married? How will this affect me. My wife will be making around 25k. Thanks if anyone can help.

Members don't see this ad.

put in single----you get more money (you can casually update your info later, after the aid is recieved)

mebhs15 said:
OK, so im getting married in June 2005 and starting school in August 2005. When i fill out the FAFSA i wont be married, so do i put myself as single or married? How will this affect me. My wife will be making around 25k. Thanks if anyone can help.

Since FAFSA is based on your tax return for the previous year, you are single for the purpose of FAFSA.

Being married would increase your chances of getting a private loan not subj to school certification, because they're looking at debt/income ratios, and a working spouse improves your position, obviously. Being married has almost no relevance for FAFSA (unless your spouse is a millionaire).

OSUdoc08 said:
put in single----you get more money (you can casually update your info later, after the aid is recieved)

Not necessarily true, actually. I get a ton more money being married. It depends on how much money your spouse makes.

Actually, I should rephrase that. I get to BORROW more money.

If you will be supporting your spouse, however, you can potentially file an appeal at your school to increase your budget for what you can borrow in total. But evescadeceus is right - FAFSA is based on last year.