Marshall University School of Pharmacy receives approval from national accrediting body

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is this a good idea?

• Total voters
There are so many great things a RPh/MD can do for society, and he decides to be the dean of a new pharmacy school... that is an interesting choice.

Reactions: 1 user
There are so many great things a RPh/MD can do for society, and he decides to be the dean of a new pharmacy school... that is an interesting choice.

He was the chair of the department of internal medicine before this, he was still a practicing physician 5 or so years ago, but was already in academics.

I don't know if he ever actually practiced as a pharmacist or just got the B.Pharm as a stepping stone to Med school back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
He was the chair of the department of internal medicine before this, he was still a practicing physician 5 or so years ago, but was already in academics.

I don't know if he ever actually practiced as a pharmacist or just got the B.Pharm as a stepping stone to Med school back in the day.

Sounds like he's definitely qualified for the job. Plus it never hurts to have MDs bridge between the two professions, so maybe it's not such an odd choice to have an MD as a SOP dean...

Because WV needs 3 pharmacy schools.

Marshall is this commuter school that thinks a dying state that bleeds population year-after-year needs 2 flagship, comprehensive public universities. If West Virginia U has it...they must, too. They are such a jealousy-based institution that their school color is literally green. So does it surprise me that they opened a completely unnecessary school? No. It's a very Marshall thing to do. Now if WVU didn't have a pharmacy school, they wouldn't be opening one. I guarandamntee it.

On the other hand, it's located in Huntington, WV. Literally the unhealthiest city in the US. They have the highest prescription opiate addiction rate in the world. Not to mention the highest obesity rate in the United States. Jamie Oliver actually made an entire show about how fat the city is and his attempts (which failed miserably) to get them to eat healthier. So maybe they do need their own pharmacy school. Huntington has to be a pharmacy services goldmine in a per-capita sense. Tudor's Biscuit World alone is probably the source of millions in generic lipitor sales.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I won't disagree with anything you said there, Mike.

What I'm curious about is what percentage of their student body is from California. Desperate Californians seem to make up large percentages of these new schools.

Now I want a sugarflake ham biscuit from Tudors.

I won't disagree with anything you said there, Mike.

What I'm curious about is what percentage of their student body is from California. Desperate Californians seem to make up large percentages of these new schools.

We were ~25% of the applicant pool in Pennsylvania at my school. They convened a special meeting with the head of admissions & a few others + a few California students to essentially ask, "How the heck did you find us?"

There was an article I read a while back that Minnesota and Michigan were huge destinations for California undergraduates. We're 12.5% of the nation's population (40M of 320M), so I don't think it's desperation, it's just there's just so many damn people.

You figure that if Los Angeles County were its own state, it would be the virtually tied as the 8th largest state in the country (along with Michigan, Georgia, and North Carolina at ~ 9.6-9.8M people), add in the suburbs & exurbs (LA-Long Beach Combined Statistical Area, which is LA-OC-IE-805) and you're looking at Florida (~18.8M), and just a touch smaller than New York (19.3M).

We were ~25% of the applicant pool in Pennsylvania at my school. They convened a special meeting with the head of admissions & a few others + a few California students to essentially ask, "How the heck did you find us?"

There was an article I read a while back that Minnesota and Michigan were huge destinations for California undergraduates. We're 12.5% of the nation's population (40M of 320M), so I don't think it's desperation, it's just there's just so many damn people.

You figure that if Los Angeles County were its own state, it would be the virtually tied as the 8th largest state in the country (along with Michigan, Georgia, and North Carolina at ~ 9.6-9.8M people), add in the suburbs & exurbs (LA-Long Beach Combined Statistical Area, which is LA-OC-IE-805) and you're looking at Florida (~18.8M), and just a touch smaller than New York (19.3M).

Still more people in the NE Corridor and I generally don't hear of them infiltrating every damn school everywhere. I think it has more to do with a higher percentage of Asians living in CA.

Thankfully there is finally a school in Orange county!

I wonder how tuition compares between these schools. Any idea what the average in-state cost is in California compared to out of state elsewhere? I'd imagine it's still much cheaper to stay in California.

Still more people in the NE Corridor and I generally don't hear of them infiltrating every damn school everywhere. I think it has more to do with a higher percentage of Asians living in CA.

Yeah but that's a ton of states, I'm talking about a handful of counties in a single state, so that'll skew the perception since it looks like we're all one big lump of people by the ocean.

But yes I do concede Asians have equal/higher rates of college attendance than whites, and most are in CA.

Thankfully there is finally a school in Orange county!

I wonder how tuition compares between these schools. Any idea what the average in-state cost is in California compared to out of state elsewhere? I'd imagine it's still much cheaper to stay in California.

It's all over the map, you've got crazy U$C leading the pack with $$$ ($53k/yr), that one CNCP/CNUCP/Northstate school pushing private loans and allegedly getting some sort of kick back ($$$), and the old standby public schools like UCSF that charge ~$38,000 yr.

I went out of state and saved $5k+ a year (wasn't the only reason I left, though).