Harbster

Who cares?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2004
299
0
North of the border
Status
How come they are 9 more unfilled spot in ER @ MLK? What's wrong with its program?
 

NinerNiner999

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2003
1,516
228
Where it's at.
Status
Attending Physician
S-E-A-R-C-H. Very frequently discussed. The hospital has been having trouble for years...
 

cdr50

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
18
0
Status
regarding

>How come they are 9 more unfilled spot in ER @ MLK? What's wrong...


if you are curious, visit.
it's located in Compton.

make sure your vehicle has a full tank of gas... and don't stop to ask directions!!!
 

flighterdoc

Rocket Scientist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2003
10,373
8
63
Slipping the Surly Bonds of Earth
Visit site
Status
cdr50 said:
regarding

>How come they are 9 more unfilled spot in ER @ MLK? What's wrong...


if you are curious, visit.
it's located in Compton.

make sure your vehicle has a full tank of gas... and don't stop to ask directions!!!

LOL, good advice. But thats not the reason they're having troubles.

Read this series

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/kingdrew/la-me-kdday1dec05,0,5281026.story

And then understand its gotten a LOT worse in the last 4 months: The hospital is about to lose its' accreditation, with it medicare, and resident funding.
 

Purulent DC

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
75
0
Visit site
Status
cdr50 said:
regarding

>How come they are 9 more unfilled spot in ER @ MLK? What's wrong...


if you are curious, visit.
it's located in Compton.

make sure your vehicle has a full tank of gas... and don't stop to ask directions!!!
Actually, it's in Willowbrook, a quaint little neighborhood between Compton and Watts. Sorry if the neigborhood scares you, but if you got out of your all white or asian neighborhood and social circle one in awhile, you might not be so intimidated. If you can't stand the heat, don't come visit the fire.
 

Sessamoid

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2003
1,658
9
Los Angeles
www.kickingsparrows.com
Status
Purulent DC said:
Actually, it's in Willowbrook, a quaint little neighborhood between Compton and Watts. Sorry if the neigborhood scares you, but if you got out of your all white or asian neighborhood and social circle one in awhile, you might not be so intimidated. If you can't stand the heat, don't come visit the fire.
"Quaint" is a nice way of putting it. The hospital has bars on doors and windows. The employee parking lot has high bars around it. The ER registration window is bulletproof (and that's been tested on more than one occasion in the past).

I worked in nearby Hawthorne, which is also a pretty "economically challenged" area, but MLK is whole 'nother ball of wax. The heat is much hotter there. I've had friends that graduated from there, and it's definitely trial by fire. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable getting lost in that area, and I am neither a shrinking violet nor easily physically intimidated.

One doesn't have to have led a cloistered life to feel a little nervous walking around that neighborhood by oneself.
 

SoCalRULES!!!!!

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2004
83
0
Status
only a dumb ass would take a residency position there. that ****er is closing.

even if it was rad-onc or derm or plastics or something like that (not that they would have a program).
 

waterski232002

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2004
847
1
Chicago
Status
Attending Physician
SoCalRULES!!!!! said:
only a dumb ass would take a residency position there. that ****er is closing.

even if it was rad-onc or derm or plastics or something like that (not that they would have a program).
Actually... they have a derm program and it filled. That can't be said for Northwestern and other derm programs around the country...

I don't know why you WOULDN'T take the spot if your choice was match vs. scramble. I think you would be crazy to pass it up since the other so cal programs have offered to absorb the residents if they fold.
 

typeB-md

Be more like McCain!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
700
1
Status
Purulent DC said:
Actually, it's in Willowbrook, a quaint little neighborhood between Compton and Watts. Sorry if the neigborhood scares you, but if you got out of your all white or asian neighborhood and social circle one in awhile, you might not be so intimidated. If you can't stand the heat, don't come visit the fire.
figures, coming from somone named "purulent DC"

just because you are a racist doesn't mean others are.

if you are smart enough to be in medical school, you are smart enough to see that sometimes certain people don't belong in certain places. A white doctor in comptom is asking for trouble as is a hiker in a lion's den. I'm sorry you feel "your people" may all exercise the same prudence as yourself, but as a person who lived next to projects for several years, I can tell you first hand that no matter how nice of a person or how pure my intentions, I was told that i had no place coming into their neighborhood. There is the real world and there is your magical world.

Don't get mad at me because black people in compton pose a serious threat to other people's safety. Even the black people in compton don't want to live in compton and they don't stick out like sore thumbs.
 

mountebank

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2002
95
1
NYC
Visit site
Status
TypeB-

Relax with the "black people." The hospital has little to do with the residents of the neighborhood and more with economics, poor planning, poor mangement.

TypeB, many great hospitals in this country reside in underserved communities, Johns Hopkins for one...its said that at night one shouldn't stop at the red lights in east Baltimore..or risk losing their car. I would still go to Hopkins.

Lastly....Compton is mainly Hispanic (blacks are moving too!)
 

cdr50

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
18
0
Status
regarding:

>Willowbrook, a quaint little neighborhood

i can only laugh at this!!! Willowbrook, Compton, and Watts are anything but quaint!


>Sorry if the neigborhood scares you

no need to be sorry PurulentDC. your sympathy is unnecessary.
you assume the neighborhood scares me!!?

your assumption is incorrect!

the neighborhood does not scare me. it never has. it never will.
the senseless violence, the random shootings, the widespread crime and hostility keep me on edge. the hatred for civilized life disturbs me. the unfocused and everpresent disdain for anything good and private keep me attentive and defensive. but the everpresent threat to life and wellbeing do not scare me.

>but if you got out of your all white or asian neighborhood and social circle

another assumption PurulentDC!!! another innaccurate assumption!!!
(jumping to conclusions like this is not objective!!!)(can result in inaccurate diagnoses!)
you have no idea who i am! no idea where i live!!! no idea how much time i've spent working in and around Willowbrook, Compton, and Watts!!!
you have no idea about the number of sleepless nights i have attended to individuals who have been victimized, traumatized, devastated, and brutally treated by the ongoing antisocial, hostile, and completely senseless behavior so common in the "quaint" neighborhoods of Willowbrook, Compton, and Watts!!! you have no idea about the number of victims of random violence i have attended to over the years!


>If you can't stand the heat, don't come visit the fire.

that's a good recommendation PurulentDC.
but don't assume that i can't stand the heat.
i've been burned many times. i have many scars.
heat doesn't seem to bother me anymore!

i will reiterate my suggestion... and will suggest that anyone (white, black, asian, hispanic, or middle eastern) unfamiliar with life in east L.A., Compton, Willowbrook, Watts... have a full tank of gas and to not stop to ask for directions... when touring these "quaint" little communities.
 

Dr.Evil1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
325
1
Myrtle Beach, SC
Status
Attending Physician
I have a friend and classmate that scrambled into MLK. His only other option was to do a transitional and reapply next year. I personally would take a spot there in the scramble in an instant. I go to medical school in another area not considered desirable due to a bad socioeconomic status - Detroit. While Detroit Recieving, Henry Ford and Sinai Grace are all located in very poor neighborhoods they are all safe to work in and provide great residency training.
 

GeneralVeers

Stable Genius
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2005
5,464
3,126
Las Vegas
Status
Attending Physician
I'm a medical student from Indiana, who didn't match into EM. I was forced to scramble into the MLK/Drew program this year (yes 1 of the 9). As someone mentioned, the only other alternative was a transitional year, which by no means guarantees a spot in Emergency Medicine at a later date. As far as I could tell, MLK/Drew is the only way for me to complete training in Emergency Medicine EVER as the residency is so competititive now. Unless you're AOA it was difficult to get in anywhere this year.

So, now that I'm going to L.A., I have become very apprehensive after reading about the hospital. I've never even been to California, so I'm not sure what to expect. I've worked in other county hosptials (in Indiana and Florida) however they seem to pale in comparison to MLK/Drew.

After talking to several staff at a community ER I work at (one of whom trained in L.A.) I am a bit more reassured, and I'm hoping at least the training will be good, even if the environment is not what I'm looking for.

One question though: I have read newspaper articles from December which stated that the Trauma center at the hospital had been ordered closed by February. Did this happen or did they find last minute funding? I can't see how an EM Residency can function without a Trauma center.
 

dethdude

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2004
15
0
Status
GeneralVeers said:
Unless you're AOA it was difficult to get in anywhere this year.
although i sympathize with your situation, this assessment is actually untrue. several of my classmates, were average or subpar in grades and board scores, and we all (around 20) found a spot in EM. only 5 were AOA. but you are right it IS getting increasingly competitive. good luck with MLK and i hope everything works out well for you there.
 

GeneralVeers

Stable Genius
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2005
5,464
3,126
Las Vegas
Status
Attending Physician
dethdude said:
although i sympathize with your situation, this assessment is actually untrue. several of my classmates, were average or subpar in grades and board scores, and we all (around 20) found a spot in EM. only 5 were AOA. but you are right it IS getting increasingly competitive. good luck with MLK and i hope everything works out well for you there.

Thank you for your response. It sounds like your class demographics were slightly different than mine. We also had about 20 people go into Emergency medicine. Of them, only myself and a friend of mine had below average board scores. My grades were average. All of the others seemed to do extremely well academically, and had scores >220. I'm not even the worst off, as two of my colleagues couldn't match or scramble into ANY EM Program anywhere.

Part of this issue here, is that the director of the Indiana/Methodist program is VERY focused on board scores, so perhaps I have a distorted view of what the requirements are, based upon listening to his comments and advice.

At any rate, MLK/Drew isn't all bad. I'm going to be doing my chosen profession, just taking a slightly different path than I had intended.
 

Jeff698

EM/EMS nerd
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2000
1,998
15
Salado, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
GeneralVeers said:
At any rate, MLK/Drew isn't all bad. I'm going to be doing my chosen profession, just taking a slightly different path than I had intended.
And that's the bottom line, isn't it? You'll be doing what you love and not spending the next three years rounding on the floors. Perspective is a valuable thing.

Congrats on getting a spot!

Take care,
Jeff
 

Sessamoid

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2003
1,658
9
Los Angeles
www.kickingsparrows.com
Status
Absolutely, scrambling into MLK is better than not getting position at all, by a long shot. Everything I've been told suggests that your academic education at MLK will be largely self-driven. You'll get a crapload of clinical experience though, so just make sure you do your reading.
 

GeneralVeers

Stable Genius
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2005
5,464
3,126
Las Vegas
Status
Attending Physician
Sessamoid said:
Absolutely, scrambling into MLK is better than not getting position at all, by a long shot. Everything I've been told suggests that your academic education at MLK will be largely self-driven. You'll get a crapload of clinical experience though, so just make sure you do your reading.

Thanks for the advice. I'll post a new thread letting you guys know what my impressions are of the place. I've worked in 2 different county hospitals in 2 different states, a large academic hospital, and several smaller community EDs, so I'll have something to compare it to.
 

MAC10

A Pimp Named Slickback
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2004
156
0
Status
Just curious, whats the status of this program now? Is the EM program on probation? what programs are now totally gone?
 

skeezixdoc

medix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2005
22
0
Status
MLK is NOT on probation. No EM programs are on probation. You can check this on the ABEM website.
 

GeneralVeers

Stable Genius
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2005
5,464
3,126
Las Vegas
Status
Attending Physician
The EM program was just re-accredited not too long ago. It's one of the few brighter spots in the hospital.

The hospital did lose its radiology and surgery residencies. The trauma center was also closed, so apparently we will do trauma rotations at other hospitals. This may actually be a blessing in that we get to go to a hospital that is not King/Drew for a period of time.
 

Sessamoid

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2003
1,658
9
Los Angeles
www.kickingsparrows.com
Status
GeneralVeers said:
The EM program was just re-accredited not too long ago. It's one of the few brighter spots in the hospital.

The hospital did lose its radiology and surgery residencies. The trauma center was also closed, so apparently we will do trauma rotations at other hospitals. This may actually be a blessing in that we get to go to a hospital that is not King/Drew for a period of time.
I suspect you'll get a fair amount of trauma anyway. MLK only lost the ambulance traffic. There will be a fair amount of walk-ins and "drop offs" I suspect. Drop off in Compton/Willowbrook means the prospective patient's gang buddies stop the car just long enough to push him out of the car in front of the ER.
 

Quimby2

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2003
77
0
Visit site
Status
Would be great if we get to do an out rotation for trauma. One of the problems we have at KDMC's EM program is that is is very inbred. All the attendings have trained on site; therefore, there are no fresh views introduced. (Ah, actually we do have ONE full-time faculty member that trained outside our program --at USC i believe). Doing a month elsewhere might be quite a blessing. Just too bad it wasn't for pediatrics.

My understanding is that all the King/Drew programs are up for individual re-review this Spring by each residency's accrediting body --this includes EM. Not sure why this is occuring, but it might have to do with "special" circumstances. I expect the EM program to be okay, as it looks good on paper. We will see I guess. In the worst scenario, the likely outcome would be absorption of the EM residents into USC/UCLA --not such a bad deal if that occured.

Biggest concern I have is in finding a job after graduation. This place seems to have a bit of a PR problem.
 

GeneralVeers

Stable Genius
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2005
5,464
3,126
Las Vegas
Status
Attending Physician
Quimby2 said:
My understanding is that all the King/Drew programs are up for individual re-review this Spring by each residency's accrediting body --this includes EM. Not sure why this is occuring, but it might have to do with "special" circumstances. I expect the EM program to be okay, as it looks good on paper. We will see I guess. In the worst scenario, the likely outcome would be absorption of the EM residents into USC/UCLA --not such a bad deal if that occured.

Biggest concern I have is in finding a job after graduation. This place seems to have a bit of a PR problem.

Hopefully if they shut it down we won't get sent too far. I'm in L.A. right now and just signed a lease for an Apartment in Redondo Beach.

I'm not too worried about a job after graduation, I think training in this there is probably a bit more intensive than some places (i.e. higher acuity, more workload). To thrive there I've heard you really have to be self-motivated and look after yourself.