Maryland 4th Year EM Rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spoonfats

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody done a 4th year EM rotation at Maryland, and if so, is it a good place to go? I want to do an away rotation on the east coast, and Baltimore works well geographically. However, I don't know if they're good to students, etc. Also, would it be a good place to get a LOR from (i.e. does the program director have a good rep?)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did a rotation at Maryland. The answer to most of your questions is yes. It is a good rotation. You have a few hours of lecture a week whick are fairly useful. They give you an EM textbook to study. You do about 15 8 hour shifts and work with 2nd or 3rd year residents. You present to the attendings and get a lot of procedures. Most attendings and residents are very laid back. At the end of the rotation you give a case presentation and have an short multiple choice test. Dr. Mattu is the PD and he his well know in the feild and a very nice person. He qrote me a LOR and almost every interviewer mentioned it.

Hope this helps.

-P

I did not rotate at Maryland, but was very impressed with the program when I interviewed and visted there. I did, however, rotate at Christiana in Newark (Wilmington), DE. It is about 45 minutes up the road from Baltimore and is consistently regarded among the "best" of EM programs by many people (including members of this forum). 14-16 8 hour shifts, no nights, no end of rotation test, and excellent teaching. Dr. O'Connor is a great PD and the residents are fun to work with. His letter also helped me considerably. They will also put you up in the Hilton for the month, free of charge, if you are not from the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'm going to Christiana for residency so I really cannot argue with that.

-P

Well, I am going to Christiana for residency so I cannot argue with that :laugh:

Congrats of Hopkins 99er. 2 of my classmates from Maryland are going there and the PD is great.

-P

I did a month at UMD as a fouth year, it was awesome! You have lectures from attendings to students only, as well as the grand rounds for the residents. You get a lot of one on one time with the residents adn attendings, and see a lot of stuff. I ranked it #2.

Q, DO

Thanks Pelivar! Christiana was one behind JHU - AWESOME program. Have fun!

I'm an intern at Maryland;

We have a very strong program; we're a few blocks from inner harbor, and yet still have a very indigent population. Our faculty are great, on the whole, and our group of residents is really remarkable. The facility is very nice as well.

Any specific questions, feel free to ask. I really have been impressed this year, mostly by my colleagues.

For those of you that have done rotations there as a visiting student, when would you start contacting Maryland if you wanted to do an away rotation there in July-October time frame?

I signed up for my rotation in November around May. You shoudl start contacting them now.
I mean, NOW.
Get off SDN.
GO!

Q, DO

Well, I think I can wait a little while, but it never hurts to be thinking ahead. I'm only in first year but I definately want a rotation at UofMaryland and a residency if I lucky. Baltimore is one of only a few cities where my husband can work.

Would you recommend a visiting student who wants to get a LOR and have a good experience/learn a lot do the rotation at University of Maryland or Ben Secour Hospital?

FYI Md's electives including EM are not open to non LCME accredited school grads. Had my heart broken earlier this afternoon. Oh well for the second time in my life I can honestly say it's UMdSOM's loss. Maybe I will give em one more time to shoot down my dreams when Residency rolls around.

drkp said:
FYI Md's electives including EM are not open to non LCME accredited school grads. Had my heart broken earlier this afternoon. Oh well for the second time in my life I can honestly say it's UMdSOM's loss. Maybe I will give em one more time to shoot down my dreams when Residency rolls around.

Where are you in school?

- H

I went to Ross after Md turned me down. I had reason to think I would get accepted and was not really ready when I was turned down so I went to Ross in Jan. rather then wait and reapply. Now again they break my heart :mad: . Que sara sara. ;)

Add Christiana Care to the "IMG unfriendly" clerkships. I had 2 former residency grad recs. and still no love.

srk2fd,

Do the rotation at the University of Maryland. Bon Secours is a small hospital that no big academic paople work at. If you want to work with the PD, chairman and residents and have lectures than do the rotation at Maryland.

Pelivar