Maryland in-state students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaerob

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-

I was wondering if any Maryland in-state residents accepted to Maryland Dental School received merit-based scholarships. I've heard/seen of out-of-staters receiving scholarships, but I haven't heard of any in-staters getting any $$$. So, I'm wondering if maybe Maryland just doesn't award scholarships to in-state students...

If anyone has any info or input, I would appreciate it. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Haha, I guess a total of zero responses is definitive enough of an answer :laugh: So no one's got any info, ay? :)

so i just got into maryland yesterday, and no scholarship for me (and yes i'm a resident.) at least you know about one person...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey did you say you know people in this app cycle that got a Maryland merit scholarship at the same time as their acceptance and they were out of state? Could you let me know what kind of scholarships they got and when they found out they had scholarships?
If it's true, I need to bug them a little to get some $$ cus 35k is kind of a lot.

Thanks!

coolraz said:
Hey did you say you know people in this app cycle that got a Maryland merit scholarship at the same time as their acceptance and they were out of state? Could you let me know what kind of scholarships they got and when they found out they had scholarships?
If it's true, I need to bug them a little to get some $$ cus 35k is kind of a lot.

Thanks!

I know of a couple out-of-state students that received $10k or so along with their acceptance email/letter. You'd rather attend Maryland rather than VCU? Wouldn't VCU be much cheaper for you (assuming you're in-state for VA)?

:( I want the 10K scholarship...I woulda kinda thought I'd get it considering my stats are pretty good for Maryland.

And yeah, I guess Maryland over VCU since it has the new building which is soooo much sweeter. Plus richmond is a hellhole and I think I wouldnt surive the four years. But neway, I got into Upenn so I think i'll probably go there.

coolraz said:
:( I want the 10K scholarship...I woulda kinda thought I'd get it considering my stats are not pretty good for Maryland.

And yeah, I guess Maryland over VCU since it has the new building which is soooo much sweeter. Plus richmond is a hellhole and I think I wouldnt surive the four years. But neway, I got into Upenn so I think i'll probably go there.

Hey, I don't know if this will make you feel better, but Maryland seems to be pretty stingy about giving $$ away.. I should know. I'm in-state with 3.87 AADSAS GPA and 23AA/22PAT and I received nada from them, too. It's actually really pretty depressing, haha...

Oh, did you just recently receive the acceptance from Penn? Just asking since your signature isn't updated to show so. Congrats!! Well, best of luck with your decision. Penn will be hard to turn down.

jaerob said:
Hey, I don't know if this will make you feel better, but Maryland seems to be pretty stingy about giving $$ away.. I should know. I'm in-state with 3.87 AADSAS GPA and 23AA/22PAT and I received nada from them, too. It's actually really pretty depressing, haha...

Oh, did you just recently receive the acceptance from Penn? Just asking since your signature isn't updated to show so. Congrats!! Well, best of luck with your decision. Penn will be hard to turn down.
I was and am in-state at MD and got a scholarship, so, yes, they do offer $$ to in-staters... However, they may be getting more stingy since it seems my stats weren't quite as good as some of you...

coolraz said:

Thanks!
Haha. Guess we will all be in debt together. Welcome to the Class of 2010 btw ^_^ I will see you in dental school. P

Take care,
Rich
-EDIT
I am not in-state. I didn't receive a scholarship as well if it answers your question.

Yeah I got into Penn today. It's pretty awesome, but it only makes the decisions more complicated. The cool thing is though my fiancee got into both UMD and Penn as well, so we'll definetely be at the same school (haha my pre-dent advisor said we probably wouldnt both get into even our state school-VCU, let alone the top schools like UMD and Penn).

coolraz said:
Yeah I got into Penn today. It's pretty awesome, but it only makes the decisions more complicated. The cool thing is though my fiancee got into both UMD and Penn as well, so we'll definetely be at the same school (haha my pre-dent advisor said we probably wouldnt both get into even our state school-VCU, let alone the top schools like UMD and Penn).
Your predent advisor is horrible. Advisors should encourage students.

Yeah while she's a very nice lady..... she leans towards pessimism (i guess the idea is not to give false hopes to students but still....). That doesnt bother me though, I just saw it as a challenge to prove her wrong.

coolraz said:
Yeah while she's a very nice lady..... she leans towards pessimism (i guess the idea is not to give false hopes to students but still....). That doesnt bother me though, I just saw it as a challenge to prove her wrong.
I would show her the admission's letter if I were you. Sort of like an in your face thing ^_^

btw vcu is NOT that cheap for instate... its about 20K a year w/o living expenses... in addition richmond is not a hell hole. it is getting a lot better for its size. i wouldn't compare it to baltimore or nyc.. but it has been moving in the right direction the last few years.. will be interesting to see where it is in the next 2 years.. as downtown renovations finish...

coolraz said:

Thanks!

Wow! What? I read online that out-of-state tuition (without living expenses) is 17K. Could someone clear this up for me? Is 35K including living expenses????

rottentooth said:
Wow! What? I read online that out-of-state tuition (without living expenses) is 17K. Could someone clear this up for me? Is 35K including living expenses????

Yeah their online thing lists it by semester. So 35k for the whole year. BTW, do you guys have any idea what the extra 10k difference btw Upenn and Maryland is from (the total budget for each school is about 70k, but tuition is 46k at Upenn).

coolraz said:
Yeah their online thing lists it by semester. So 35k for the whole year. BTW, do you guys have any idea what the extra 10k difference btw Upenn and Maryland is from (the total budget for each school is about 70k, but tuition is 46k at Upenn).

Funny how my eye wanted to miss that "tuition per semester" line after reading the title "fall & spring tuition" - this changes my mind quite a bit in terms of decision-making. Thanks for the explanation.

despite dental school being expensive in general, keep in mind, however, that some private schools are still WAY MORE than say UMD out of state...

Agreed. Plus maryland is going to have the best facilities in the nation and their faculty are already awesome, their reputation is great and their new curriculum (not finalized yet) is going to be really good (very flexible by offering lots and lots of different options as elective classes). Plus, after talking to them many times ( went to re-visit the school etc) I feel that they seem to care about you just as much as the private schools claim they do. So, 35k is definetely worth it to me...

coolraz said:
Agreed. Plus maryland is going to have the best facilities in the nation and their faculty are already awesome, their reputation is great and their new curriculum (not finalized yet) is going to be really good (very flexible by offering lots and lots of different options as elective classes). Plus, after talking to them many times ( went to re-visit the school etc) I feel that they seem to care about you just as much as the private schools claim they do. So, 35k is definetely worth it to me...

So, it sounds like you're leaning towards UMD? I would say that's a fine choice :)

ok... so i went up to UMD today (took a day off work) and checked out the campus, where to live, lots of the other buildings, the students etc...... I AM SOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!! it is going to be awesome and i can't even begin to describe everything that will make our dental experience the best in the nation.

p.s. coolraz - you should def be leaning toward UMD without a doubt. it was good of you to take the time to consider other places. for the money, you can't get any better.

clp said:
ok... so i went up to UMD today (took a day off work) and checked out the campus, where to live, lots of the other buildings, the students etc...... I AM SOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!! it is going to be awesome and i can't even begin to describe everything that will make our dental experience the best in the nation.

p.s. coolraz - you should def be leaning toward UMD without a doubt. it was good of you to take the time to consider other places. for the money, you can't get any better.

I'm getting excited, too :)