maryland interview??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruraldr2b

ruraldoc
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of you receiving interviews at maryland.....

Just received a letter back saying they have received everything and am reviewing my app. Was wondering how long any of you heard anything back about an interview. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They have been interviewing for awhile, I believe since the beginning of October. I don't really understand your question. Are you asking how long they have been interviewing or how long it took for us to hear about an interview? In the second case, it was only about 2 weeks for me.

In my experience they are pretty slow to get back to you, but they interview 70-80% of the instaters who apply, and the dean said last year that his biggest priority is to someday interview ALL instaters. So, good news if you live in MD, is you'll probably get an interview.

Jade~

Members don't see this ad :)
I was invited to interview ~5 weeks after my application was complete. Hope this helps!

I am not a MD resident, but still hope to receive an interview. I was also excited to receive a secondary knowing they send secondaries to a limited # of out-of-state apps.

Quickest turnaround is less than a week. We have an old thread on this a month back.

Rt

Originally posted by Jadeite
In my experience they are pretty slow to get back to you, but they interview 70-80% of the instaters who apply, and the dean said last year that his biggest priority is to someday interview ALL instaters. So, good news if you live in MD, is you'll probably get an interview.

Jade~

wow, the times have really changed, but if you heard this from Dean Foxwell it must be true. I remember when I applied, UMAB only interviewed 50% of in-staters and pre-interview in-state rejections were very common on the old PR board. Nice to know they are giving more residents a shot. BTW, I was interviewed 6 months after they received my completed application, put on hold 2 weeks later, and waitlisted in May.

If your college address is different from your home address, you might want to call home to check for mail from md. they sent all mail to my apartment then randomly sent one to my parents house

Originally posted by Jadeite ...they interview 70-80% of the instaters who apply....

Last year, it was 42.6%, 307 interviews out of 721 primaries. It could be up to 70% of secondaries, however.

Rt

So is this 42% that they interviewed from the primaries just regarding to in-staters or overall?

Originally posted by ruraldr2b
So is this 42% that they interviewed from the primaries just regarding to in-staters or overall?

in-staters, sorry to disappoint..

just some maryland stats for you...

for last year..

3055 total apps.

interviews...307 in-state, 178 out

new entrants...112 in-state, 25 out

These stats were compiled by the pre-med advising office at UM College Park so I would believe that they are accurate.

I interviewed there today and Dean Foxwell told my group that they interview around 500 regardless of the # of applicants. He also said that the post-secondary screening is rigorous and that we (those interviewing) have a "50%" chance of an acceptance. (50% meaning 1 in 2 and not yes or no).

Originally posted by tms
I interviewed there today and Dean Foxwell told my group that they interview around 500 regardless of the # of applicants.
Hey tms, did Dean Foxwell happen to mention how long you might expect to wait post-interview before receiving a decision from them? Thanks!

Foxwell said 3-5 weeks. But factor in the holiday and it may be a bit more. Adcom meets on Mondays and apparently they miss 2 over the holidays.

I interviewed October 16 and Dr. Foxwell said we would definitely hear before Thanksgiving. Anyway, I finally received my acceptance from them on December 4. So, my experience was about 7 weeks. BTW, I am out of state but have every strong ties to MD. I was getting really discouraged because I had not heard from them and had pretty much given up - when finally I received the letter. So, a long wait does not always mean rejection. I would avoid calling the admissions office (they are not very friendly when you call and ask questions). Good luck and I hope you hear soon.

Originally posted by Teach
I interviewed October 16 and Dr. Foxwell said we would definitely hear before Thanksgiving. Anyway, I finally received my acceptance from them on December 4. So, my experience was about 7 weeks. BTW, I am out of state but have every strong ties to MD. I was getting really discouraged because I had not heard from them and had pretty much given up - when finally I received the letter. So, a long wait does not always mean rejection.
Thanks for the info Teach -- I interviewed on Oct. 21st and am still anxiously awaiting any word (maybe my mailbox won't let me down today!). Someone else had posted in a different Maryland thread about how they found out their acceptance letter had gotten lost in the mail after they called the office, but I think Maryland is just playing with the emotions of me and the others who have yet to hear :) At least that's what I keep telling myself so that I don't have a real reason to call and face the wrath of the admissions office staff!