Maryland (IS) vs. VCU (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

senaj0495

Reaction score
School 1: Maryland (IS)
Pros:
  • In-state tuition (but I'm not planning on commuting from home)
  • Great facilities
  • Heavy emphasis on diversity
  • Has great histories being the first dental school
Cons:
  • Surrounding area
  • Maybe it was just for this year, but the interview felt impersonal (lasted for 10 min; student panel was great though)
  • See patients starting from the third year
School 2: VCU (OOS)
Pros:
  • See patients starting from the first year
  • Went to Richmond for undergrad and loved the city
  • Great experience at the interview
  • New clinic building that will be finished by next year
Cons:
  • Richmond isn't that much safer than Baltimore
  • Cost of living
  • Heavy emphasis on digital dentistry (I also want to have enough practice in traditional techniques)
Summary: I also applied for HPSP through the army, but not betting on getting accepted due to possible disqualifying medical conditions. So, cost is something I can't ignore. But, I also enjoyed my experience in Richmond way more than in Baltimore and have great mentors living in Richmond. I'm also open to specializing (not sure if that is a critical factor in choosing a school because I've heard both sides to this opinion). I also couldn't gauge the class vibe from both schools, but if a current student could provide insights to either school, I would really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I also think Maryland. Vcu is way way too expensive if you have instate options.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely Maryland. The only good part of VCU is the emphasis on patient care/standardized patients. For education/step prep, VCU isn't great so I wouldn't pay OOS if you have a great IS option as well.