Maryland Living Expense

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSU SHC 414

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any current UMB students give an estimate of your living expenses (per year)? I realize there are a lot of variables here, but a rough idea would be a huge help!

Members don't see this ad.

I live in a nice rowhouse 8 min walk to school. My share of rent is $650/month + utilities. I have 2 roommates.

On average, my living expenses are probably $825 total/month --> $9900/year. That includes internet, HDTV, utilities.

However, if you live in the university suites (i.e. dorms) or "luxury apartment" buildings you should expect to pay a couple hundred more a month, even with roommates.

Hup

Last edited:
I live in a nice rowhouse 8 min walk to school. My share of rent is $650/month + utilities. I have 2 roommates.

On average, my living expenses are probably $825 total/month --> $9900/year. That includes internet, HDTV, utilities.

However, if you live in the university suites (i.e. dorms) or "luxury apartment" buildings you should expect to pay a couple hundred more a month, even with roommates.

Hup

Thanks Hup!

If you're an out-of-stater, do you know (again, rough estimate) how much your total cost (tuition, fees, living expenses, etc.) at UMB will be after 4 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent you a PM with my living expenses, but my financial aid said it would cost a little over 85K for my first year, but I am on pace to spend about 71-72K.

Clearly, I am out-of-state. That totals 17K spent on living expenses, the laptop (1800) and books (600). I live downtown in walking distance of the school and share a 1 bedroom apartment and I have a car (parking, insurance, it is fully paid for). I keep a very detailed record of my finances and can explain how I figured out a reasonable budget.

Thanks Hup!

If you're an out-of-stater, do you know (again, rough estimate) how much your total cost (tuition, fees, living expenses, etc.) at UMB will be after 4 years?

Honestly, it's really hard to say. Tuition goes up each year. I'd say it's fair to assume, on average, $75-80,000/year x 4 = $300-320,000 (plus interest!). That's taking into account any increases in tuition.

I'm looking at getting out of here, as an out of state student, around $200,000-225,000 in the hole. Luckily I have some outside educational help.

hup