Maryland or UPenn? Some advice, please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whiteeth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to both Maryland and UPenn dental school, and I'm really not sure which school to decide on. Also, I'd rather buy a new laptop than put down two deposits at a time.

UPenn was my dream school since 10th grade; I've been craving to go to an IVY school. But, Maryland has great facilities and, even if it doesn't make a big difference, they offered a small scholarship which makes myself feel important.

However, I'm applying to the Army DCHPSP, so I don't think money will be a factor in my decision. (I'm out-of-state for Maryland.)

I'm also looking forward to specializing 3~4 years after graduating from dental school. (after finishing up my obligation for the army)

The last factor I'm considering is whether the city is safe to live in. During my interview, I felt both Philadelphia and Baltimore were pretty intimidating to live in. My undergrad school is University of Virginia, which is in a very safe and rural city.

Can anyone give me some good advice? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm deciding between the two schools also. I'm OOS for Maryland as well. The ivy league prestige really draws me to Penn also, but Maryland has amazing facilities and the prospect of getting instate tuition is appealing. Furthermore, I want to specialize, but I think either school will allow me to do so.

I've been going back and forth since December 1st, I might go visit the schools again.

Well, money isnt a big concern for you since you want to go the army route. The safety between Philly and Baltimore seems to be similar. UPenn is your dream school. I think the answer is clear. Go to Upenn, and use the other money to get the laptop!!! Goodluck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to both Maryland and UPenn dental school, and I'm really not sure which school to decide on. Also, I'd rather buy a new laptop than put down two deposits at a time.

UPenn was my dream school since 10th grade; I've been craving to go to an IVY school. But, Maryland has great facilities and, even if it doesn't make a big difference, they offered a small scholarship which makes myself feel important.

However, I'm applying to the Army DCHPSP, so I don't think money will be a factor in my decision. (I'm out-of-state for Maryland.)

I'm also looking forward to specializing 3~4 years after graduating from dental school. (after finishing up my obligation for the army)

The last factor I'm considering is whether the city is safe to live in. During my interview, I felt both Philadelphia and Baltimore were pretty intimidating to live in. My undergrad school is University of Virginia, which is in a very safe and rural city.

Can anyone give me some good advice? Thanks!!

Im also doing army and deciding between schools and wanting to speciallize after army obligation. But just remember its 8 years after dental school, 4 AD repay, then 4 in IRR. IN the navy and Ariforce, chances are next to 0 of getting called off IRR, but in the army it happens fairly regularly. Even ifyou are in school you can be called off IRR. BUt you can often file an exemption to not show up. Just fyi as it was new news to me when i heard it a week or so ago

I go to maryland and love it. People who think the city is scary haven't stayed there very long. There are several blocks around the school that are completely brand new and downtown renovation is booming. Check out the new additions to the med school, new pharmacy school, new nursing school, new law school (2006 I believe) and not to mention the new dental school. There is also a brand new student center and health sciences library. I would hardly call it the 'ghetto' like so many do. Baltimore is a major city, take it or leave it...but its why we have an amazing patient base. good luck w/ your decision!