Maryland, Pitt, and Michigan LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fmlcat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I can even apply to these schools given their LOR requirements :scared: My AADSAS letters: (1) biology professor, (2) neuroscience professor/principal investigator in my lab, (3) dentist, (4) teacher I volunteered with. I also have 3 other letters from different dentists in Interfolio.

Maryland: requires 1 biology and 1 chemistry. Does anyone know how strict this chemistry letter is?

Pittsburgh: my school discontinued their committee letters, so it seems like I have to get minimum 3 letters from science faculty alone?

Michigan: requires that letters be sent with letterhead, but mine are just electronic uploads from Interfolio.

I emailed each school but haven't heard back so I thought I'd see if anyone on here knew how strict these are.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if I can even apply to these schools given their LOR requirements :scared: My AADSAS letters: (1) biology professor, (2) neuroscience professor/principal investigator in my lab, (3) dentist, (4) teacher I volunteered with. I also have 3 other letters from different dentists in Interfolio.

Maryland: requires 1 biology and 1 chemistry. Does anyone know how strict this chemistry letter is?

Pittsburgh: my school discontinued their committee letters, so it seems like I have to get minimum 3 letters from science faculty alone?

Michigan: requires that letters be sent with letterhead, but mine are just electronic uploads from Interfolio.

I emailed each school but haven't heard back so I thought I'd see if anyone on here knew how strict these are.

Maryland doesn't care about chem prof. It can be other science prof (I called them). Pittsburgh need 3 science faculty...Michigan I have no idea.

Maryland doesn't care about chem prof. It can be other science prof (I called them). Pittsburgh need 3 science faculty...Michigan I have no idea.

Are you sure? When I called, they said it must be a chemistry letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Likewise. Maryland stated that I could send what I had in right now, but they would eventually request the Chemistry letter.

Also, for anyone else who is wondering: Michigan said that my application would be incomplete if the LORs did not have official letterheads, but that I could have my recommenders send new letters directly to them with letterheads...

Are you sure? When I called, they said it must be a chemistry letter.

wtf...?
this is from their website: The Committee on Dental Recruitment and Admissions strongly prefers to receive a recommendation package from the applicant’s institutional pre-professional committee. If no such committee is available, letters of recommendation from one professor each in the departments of biology and chemistry may be substituted.

So does that mean, if we have a committee letter we dont have to worry about this?

wtf...?
this is from their website: The Committee on Dental Recruitment and Admissions strongly prefers to receive a recommendation package from the applicant’s institutional pre-professional committee. If no such committee is available, letters of recommendation from one professor each in the departments of biology and chemistry may be substituted.

So does that mean, if we have a committee letter we dont have to worry about this?

Yeah, if you have a committee letter, you should be fine.

My school discontinued that a few years ago, but I just heard back from someone else at Maryland who said:

"If you are unable to meet this requirement, our Admissions Committee will review your letters of recommendation and if additional recommendations are required, the Office of Admissions will contact you."

Not sure if I want to take the risk and apply. And then find out at the very end that my application is incomplete because the committee ultimately decided that my current letters were insufficient...