Quantcast

Maryland Residents

Free Sample Essays
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtcoolusa

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hey guys!!! If you are a Maryland resident and you applied to the University of Maryland medschool, I have some questions for you:

1. Did it seem easier to get an interview because you were an Maryland resident?
2. Did you get an interview? And if so, was their approach and attitude different to you because you were a Maryland resident?
3. Did you get in to the school?
4. Does their program seem like a program that will prepare you to be the best doctor there is, as compared to the other medical schools?
5. What is your GPA and MCAT score?

Thanks in advance for the replies!!!
 

seekanddestroy

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2003
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
1. Did it seem easier to get an interview because you were an Maryland resident?
state schools prefer instate students
2. Did you get an interview? And if so, was their approach and attitude different to you because you were a Maryland resident?
Yes I got an interview, and accepted. The approach and the attitude were no no different rom any other interview.
3. Did you get in to the school?
Yes
4. Does their program seem like a program that will prepare you to be the best doctor there is, as compared to the other medical schools?
I personally thought the program was nothing special. The resaon I chose not to go to UMAB was that the students seemed miserable. Also, you are given a letter grade at this school. Overall, I would not reccommend this chool, unless money is a factor.
 

JohnnieBlue

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2004
Messages
120
Reaction score
2
Agree with the last poster except for the last answer. I chose UMD over Mount Sinai, Einstein, and NYU. While money was a major factor in my decision (not just tuition, but cost of living also), I really loved the school as well. The program is very cutting edge and computer oriented. Everything in the hospital is brand new and state of the art. When I think of my experience interviewing at places like Columbia, Maryland is a palace. The library in Maryland is absolutely gorgeous and I think it is one of the biggest medical libraries on the east coast (second to only Harvard if I remember correctly.)

As for the grades, dont be foolish in thinking that other schools don't know how you stack up against your peers in a pass/fail system. While at Einstein they probably do have a true P/F system, it only took a little prodding at NYU for them to admit to me that the Dean's office keeps your grades behind your back. They have to know where you stand compaired to the rest of the class when writing a letter for you for residency; don't be fooled into thinking everyone gets the same letter for just getting a Pass. Also, many many schools have high pass or honors anway-- to me this is the same as a grades system. If you want a competitive residency you will have to work hard anywhere.

My advice is that if you get into a top ten school, go there. If you wind up anywhere else outside of that, you'de be crazy to turn down the in-state tuition. As long as you work hard, you can go to any residency you want from Maryland.
 

Mones

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2004
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
For those of you who interviewed at Maryland and got in, what did you do to individualize yourself? For those who didn't get in after an interview, what do you think you could have done differently?

It seems like Maryland is a numbers *****...even for in-staters. Does a 3.2/30 stand a chance?
 

seekanddestroy

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2003
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
"As for the grades, dont be foolish in thinking that other schools don't know how you stack up against your peers in a pass/fail system. While at Einstein they probably do have a true P/F system, it only took a little prodding at NYU for them to admit to me that the Dean's office keeps your grades behind your back."

That is a bunch of crap, stop BSing people. The truth is the you would have to be a real idiot to give up NYU, Einstein or Mt. Sinai to attend UMD. I highly doubt you got into any of these schools. Don't mean to be harsh, just my two cents.
 

bigbaubdi

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Messages
641
Reaction score
0
1. Did it seem easier to get an interview because you were an Maryland resident?

Yes

2. Did you get an interview? And if so, was their approach and attitude different to you because you were a Maryland resident?

In one of my interviews, we ended up talking about some of the free agents that the Orioles shouldn't have let go of.

3. Did you get in to the school?

Yes

4. Does their program seem like a program that will prepare you to be the best doctor there is, as compared to the other medical schools?

UMD has a very nice program. The hours are nice and quite a few UMD grads get residency spots at Hopkins. Their training is excellent and the facilities are great.
 

JohnnieBlue

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2004
Messages
120
Reaction score
2
seekanddestroy said:
"As for the grades, dont be foolish in thinking that other schools don't know how you stack up against your peers in a pass/fail system. While at Einstein they probably do have a true P/F system, it only took a little prodding at NYU for them to admit to me that the Dean's office keeps your grades behind your back."

That is a bunch of crap, stop BSing people. The truth is the you would have to be a real idiot to give up NYU, Einstein or Mt. Sinai to attend UMD. I highly doubt you got into any of these schools. Don't mean to be harsh, just my two cents.

Why would I make that up *****? You can read any of my posts from the last 7 months to check up on this. I was offered 10 grand free per year from Einstein and got into NYU off the bat and Sinai off the waitlist (they told me they would take me when I interviewed but the class was full.)

Anyway, I was waitlisted at Columbia and would have gone there over UMD since I think the price is justified to attend a top ten. Otherwise, I can promise you that it means absolutely nothing where you go to school. I spoke personally to over 10 residency directors that my dad (ophthalmologist) put me in touch with. Every single one said the same thing: do well in any school and you can go anywhere. Obviously, this doesn't mean you can go overseas, but you get the picture. Don't believe me? Go to any well respected school's website and check where the chairmen of each department went to school. Of course you'll find your share of Harvards and Yales, but one thing is for sure: You will not find a higher percentage of NYU's or Sinai's over schools like Maryland, even though most people who go to UMD don't want to go into academics.

Dude, get a life and try calling someone else's bluff. SDN would be a nicer place without pricks like you.
 

jtcoolusa

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Thanks guys for all the feedback. To be honest, I miss Maryland very much (I'm in alabama right now for school), so I'd have to get into a ridiculously good school to pass up UMD.

On a side note, I'll be reppin for all my Maryland people on PreMedDiary.com (even though most of yall are from Baltimore :) :D )!!! I just got the e-mail that they like my medical misionary background. So I'm asking for support and encouragement as I start my diary.

One more question. I live on the DC side of the Bw parkway. Would it be hard to commute to University of Maryland medical school everyday from that side of town?
 

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
May 8, 2003
Messages
7,528
Reaction score
23
jtcoolusa said:
Thanks guys for all the feedback. To be honest, I miss Maryland very much (I'm in alabama right now for school), so I'd have to get into a ridiculously good school to pass up UMD.

On a side note, I'll be reppin for all my Maryland people on PreMedDiary.com (even though most of yall are from Baltimore :) :D )!!! I just got the e-mail that they like my medical misionary background. So I'm asking for support and encouragement as I start my diary.

One more question. I live on the DC side of the Bw parkway. Would it be hard to commute to University of Maryland medical school everyday from that side of town?

I'm not sure about that area. The direction of traffic in the morning is usually going south to DC, so you might be okay. Traffic will still not be good though. But if you're young and want to socialize with the rest of the class, I would recommend trying to live downtown. Most people who commute the first year end up moving into the city the second year.
 

gobblety_gook

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2004
Messages
249
Reaction score
0
JohnnieBlue said:
Why would I make that up *****? You can read any of my posts from the last 7 months to check up on this. I was offered 10 grand free per year from Einstein and got into NYU off the bat and Sinai off the waitlist (they told me they would take me when I interviewed but the class was full.)

Anyway, I was waitlisted at Columbia and would have gone there over UMD since I think the price is justified to attend a top ten. Otherwise, I can promise you that it means absolutely nothing where you go to school. I spoke personally to over 10 residency directors that my dad (ophthalmologist) put me in touch with. Every single one said the same thing: do well in any school and you can go anywhere. Obviously, this doesn't mean you can go overseas, but you get the picture. Don't believe me? Go to any well respected school's website and check where the chairmen of each department went to school. Of course you'll find your share of Harvards and Yales, but one thing is for sure: You will not find a higher percentage of NYU's or Sinai's over schools like Maryland, even though most people who go to UMD don't want to go into academics.

Dude, get a life and try calling someone else's bluff. SDN would be a nicer place without pricks like you.


I agree a lot with these sentiments...it'd be really foolish to turn down a great instate tuition for a mid-tier school like NYU/Mt. Sinai...and besides I think most places consider UMD to be a mid tier school anyway, so the potential to land a great residency is definately there...

I'm a maryland resident myself and if I don't get into a top 10-15 school, I plan on antending MD (if I get in of course :) ) From what I've heard its a great place to be.

I am kinda concerned about they're average numbers though (3.7 GPA, 3.6 sci GPA, and 30 MCAT)...they seem awfully high.
 

JohnnieBlue

Full Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2004
Messages
120
Reaction score
2
If you guys want me to dig up the secondary essay questions, I'd be more than happy to. I'm away from home now, but will be back in a couple of days. They had a bunch of essays and short answers so you may want to start even before they send it to you (assuming the essays will be the same).
 

ms2209

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2004
Messages
524
Reaction score
2
Hey all,

I'm also a Maryland resident and have applied to UMD. I haven't received the secondary app yet, but I just wanted to let you know that if you want to get a "head start" on the application, someone has posted the old questions on davincicode's "Secondary Prompts" thread (you can find a link to it in the sticky at the top of the forum). Good luck to all! :luck:
 

Bubchik

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2004
Messages
390
Reaction score
8
Though I'm a california resident, I would love to attend UMD due to personal reasons. My stats are 34/3.93, average research and EC. Just hoping to get an interview. Does anybody know when will they send out 2ndaries?
 
J

JR

WOW! These are awsome stats! You will have no problem getting that secondary. :love:
 

MtsByondMts

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2004
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
gobblety_gook said:
I agree a lot with these sentiments...it'd be really foolish to turn down a great instate tuition for a mid-tier school like NYU/Mt. Sinai...and besides I think most places consider UMD to be a mid tier school anyway, so the potential to land a great residency is definately there...

I'm a maryland resident myself and if I don't get into a top 10-15 school, I plan on antending MD (if I get in of course :) ) From what I've heard its a great place to be.

I am kinda concerned about they're average numbers though (3.7 GPA, 3.6 sci GPA, and 30 MCAT)...they seem awfully high.

Don't be too concerned... I was accepted with a 3.8-something GPA/28 MCAT. As I'm sure you've heard a thousand times, there are many things that factor into their decision (I feel this is especially the case w/Maryland. I don't think they care about numbers as much as everyone says they do).
 
Top