Maryland (scholarship) vs. Pitt (WL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gramnegative

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was stunned to find out that I will be receiving a large scholarship to the University of Maryland today, which, when coupled with my in-state status will probably mean I could graduate with <$100K of debt. This is important because I am in my 30s and would like to have a family soon. However, I am WL at my top choice of Pitt, and am in the process of firing off a LOI to them. Would I be crazy to not just take the scholarahip and run at this point?

Maryland
Pros:
• worked at UMMC and know the clinical exposure will be great and I'm already familiar with the system
• $$$ - I'd love to buy a house soon and pop out kids with my girlfriend, which would be so much easier with less debt threatening to crush me
• closer to my family and my girlfriend's family and friends, less disruptive for her
Neutrals:
• new curriculum, could be good or bad
Cons:
• lower-ranked, and I would love to work in academic medicine eventually, maybe more important now that Step 1 is P/F
• tiered grading for pre-clinical years - everyone has told me how important P/F is and this is really my biggest sticking point
• baltimore, I love you, but after 10 years I was interested in a change of scenery

Pitt
Pros:
• higher ranking
• like the curriculum, especially the ultrasound certificate and resuscitation concentration, since I love critical care, as well as built-in research time
• I've heard Pittsburgh is cool
• great vibe from interview
• P/F
• UPMC is an amazing system where I know I would also get great clinical experience
Cons:
• Expensive. Doubt I'd get anything close to what Maryland is offering me.
• new place further from family and friends

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I were you, I'd send a letter of intent to Pitt. From my understanding, the only acceptable reason for not attending a school after being accepted post-LOI is finances. If Pitt is too expensive, you could tell them about the Maryland scholarship. If you're lucky, Pitt might give you more fin aid. You can always go to Maryland, regardless of whether you send a LOI to Pitt. Also, if Pitt accepts you and you are ok with the possibility of annoying Maryland, you can tell Maryland that you got accepted by Pitt and ask if Maryland could up your scholarship. Either way, send a LOI

Reactions: 1 user
If I were you, I'd send a letter of intent to Pitt. From my understanding, the only acceptable reason for not attending a school after being accepted post-LOI is finances. If Pitt is too expensive, you could tell them about the Maryland scholarship. If you're lucky, Pitt might give you more fin aid. You can always go to Maryland, regardless of whether you send a LOI to Pitt. Also, if Pitt accepts you and you are ok with the possibility of annoying Maryland, you can tell Maryland that you got accepted by Pitt and ask if Maryland could up your scholarship. Either way, send a LOI
Thank you! I didn't realize it wasn't seen the same if costs were involved.

From my understanding, the only acceptable reason for not attending a school after being accepted post-LOI is finances.
Never heard of this before. I thought a LOIntent is only if you'll go to the school regardless of the situation, including financial aid (hence why some people don't send a LOIntent to see if they can get better financial aid from being accepted outright)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Never heard of this before. I thought a LOIntent is only if you'll go to the school regardless of the situation, including financial aid (hence why some people don't send a LOIntent to see if they can get better financial aid from being accepted outright)?

You're right. Ignore the original poster. You should always negotiate financial aid tactfully, don't try any sleazy tricks.

I disagree with the above, I sent an LOI, got accepted, told them that the financial aid from the original school is much better and I need them to come somewhat close to it - the new school matched it (that took me off the waitlist post-LOI) and I matriculated. All is fair in love and war and med school admissions. But I personally wouldn't send an LOI until closer to May, when the waitlist movement actually begins - you might just get off of the waitlist at Pitt without one, and then simply hold more leverage.

More on topic, Maryland is a highly regarded school - I don't think you will have issues going into academic medicine from there even if Pitt will make it a bit easier. Furthermore, if you're into critical care/trauma - Maryland has Shock Trauma - that's about as good as it gets. Also I would say that if you are planning kids/buying a house - having less debt and more financial freedom will be huge, especially coupled with a support system nearby.

I myself am a huge fan of Pitt but it honestly seems like your personal situation is better suited for Maryland. Unless Pitt gives you similar financial aid, it would be a tough sell because again, Maryland isn't some low tier school.

Do you have a specific specialty in mind? If it's surgical, UPMC is a powerhouse but Maryland also has a baller match list for surgical fields: The Match

I disagree with the above, I sent an LOI, got accepted, told them that the financial aid from the original school is much better and I need them to come somewhat close to it - the new school matched it (that took me off the waitlist post-LOI) and I matriculated. All is fair in love and war and med school admissions. But I personally wouldn't send an LOI until closer to May, when the waitlist movement actually begins - you might just get off of the waitlist at Pitt without one, and then simply hold more leverage.

You had success at your school. But I don't know if it's universally accepted that a LOI is conditional on finances. Of course it's not a binding legal statement. However, risking a gray area move to a field that values integrity is up to you.

More on topic, Maryland is a highly regarded school - I don't think you will have issues going into academic medicine from there even if Pitt will make it a bit easier. Furthermore, if you're into critical care/trauma - Maryland has Shock Trauma - that's about as good as it gets. Also I would say that if you are planning kids/buying a house - having less debt and more financial freedom will be huge, especially coupled with a support system nearby.

I myself am a huge fan of Pitt but it honestly seems like your personal situation is better suited for Maryland. Unless Pitt gives you similar financial aid, it would be a tough sell because again, Maryland isn't some low tier school.

Do you have a specific specialty in mind? If it's surgical, UPMC is a powerhouse but Maryland also has a baller match list for surgical fields: The Match
Thanks for the input. I actually worked at STC, haha. I'm leaning to a shorter residency, so prob EM/gas->CC.

You had success at your school. But I don't know if it's universally accepted that a LOI is conditional on finances. Of course it's not a binding legal statement. However, risking a gray area move to a field that values integrity is up to you.

I agree, just an anecdote, so take it with a grain of salt. I don't think this is some moral gray area though and it's a stretch to connect it to your professional integrity as a physician - like you said, it's not a legal document and finances are important in the real world.

I agree, just an anecdote, so take it with a grain of salt. I don't think this is some moral gray area though and it's a stretch to connect it to your professional integrity as a physician - like you said, it's not a legal document and finances are important in the real world.

Well I guess it depends on how you write the letter. If it's true to form and you say "I will attend if you accept me" and you later pull a conditional clause, in my opinion it lacks integrity. I was told by my physician mentors that adcoms get annoyed by this and the field is small enough that it might come back to bite you. Not sure how and probably unlikely, but the risk is up to you.

If Pitt is too expensive, you could tell them about the Maryland scholarship. If you're lucky, Pitt might give you more fin aid. You can always go to Maryland, regardless of whether you send a LOI to Pitt.
I'm also on the WL at Pitt, and have been told by many people (in and out of their financial aid office) that they do not match offers, and do not offer merit-based aid at all.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Depends on what you want to do. If you're aiming for EM/Gas, I would honestly take the money at Maryland.

Depends on what you want to do. If you're aiming for EM/Gas, I would honestly take the money at Maryland.
Agreed. Even if OP decides to dive into surgical subspecialty, Maryland has solid numbers matching throughout.

If Pitt comes close to matching, say within 10k per year, I'd probably choose Pitt. Top 40 vs Top 15 ? Pitt >> Baltimore in terms of city.