Maryland temporary license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iamnotme

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Maryland grants temporary training physician licenses or are they just full licenses?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do not try to do this yourself. If you've already matched, contact your program coordinator. They will know exactly what to do. And often pay any fees associated.

I'm looking at the options I have.

Last edited:
You're looking for a full license, not a temporary one. Temp/limited licenses are only for residents/fellows in a training program.

But wouldn't it make more sense to find a place to live and work before getting a license?

No, I"m looking for a temporary license.

Last edited:
No, I"m looking for a temporary license. I am going into a different residency program, and don't plan on completing this year. I have resigned from my program. They will have to sign some paperwork for me to get a new license.

I'm still not sure what exactly you're asking for or why.

Are you asking about a license to cover your remaining time at your current program that you resigned from?

Or are you asking about a license for when you start at your new program?

If the former, you would need a license from the state you're currently residing in. If the latter, why would you not wait until you match (you are going thru the match if I'm remembering your other posts?) and just apply like every other new matchee?

Because some training licenses are easier to get than others.

Last edited:
I completely agree.

Last edited:
I completely agree. But what happens if I match at my dream program, and my current program stabs me in the back because they are pissed that I resigned (yet they want me to continue working) and says nasty things about me and I can't get a license in that state?
I think you're worried about nothing. Is there a chance that this could happen? I guess. Is it likely? No. I assure you that your former PD has better things to worried about than you, once you're gone.

Not sure?

Last edited:
wow…if you think your PD and program are that vindictive, then getting a license would be the least of your worries…you don't think they would put the kibosh on you even getting another residency in the 1st place?

We disagree.

Last edited:
A program cannot prevent you from "getting" into another residency in any way, shape or form. How do you think they could possibly ever do that?
really? you most certainly think that the PD at your program can influence a state board so you can't get a license, but you don't think that the self same PD can't pick up a phone and talk to another PD...off the record…and influence them?
medicine is a small, small world…you get blackballed and you're effectively done.

Reactions: 1 user
A program cannot prevent you from "getting" into another residency in any way, shape or form. How do you think they could possibly ever do that?
If you don't think every program you apply to will want a letter summarizing your previous training from your previous PD, you're in for a big surprise.

Reactions: 1 users