Maryland, UConn or Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

findingnemo13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between these three programs. Aside from finances, what are your opinions on each of these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've narrowed down my choices to pitt and maryland. Between the two I think I am leaning more towards maryland because it is cheaper than pitt if you get in state after your first year. I had a great interview at both so its tough to choose! Good luck with your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go to UConn. I like their medical curriculum and P/F grading. Quiet location and in-state tuition after first year.

I would go to UConn. I like their medical curriculum and P/F grading. Quiet location and in-state tuition after first year.

Me too. Albeit, I didn't see Maryland or Pittsburgh yet. I liked UConn and if I wasn't accepted into my state school, I would deffinitely be going there.

Even with pass/fail UConn students seemed super competitive and a tad socially awk. Maryland and Pitt seemed much more balanced. I'd personally go with pitt because its a better city and the smaller class size will give you an advantage when you needs letters of recc for AEGD/GPR/specialties.

Since the boards are now pass/fail, your grades and your letters of recc will have to be stellar if you want to specialize in anything other than OMFS

Even with pass/fail UConn students seemed super competitive and a tad socially awk. Maryland and Pitt seemed much more balanced. I'd personally go with pitt because its a better city and the smaller class size will give you an advantage when you needs letters of recc for AEGD/GPR/specialties.

Since the boards are now pass/fail, your grades and your letters of recc will have to be stellar if you want to specialize in anything other than OMFS

UConn's class is only 42. They rank you into fifths so it looks good to be one of the top 8 people in your class. I think that is pretty doable if you are dedicated enough.

Socially awkward, lol, aren't all first year dental students a tad socially awkward due to the intense preparation for the boards?

Thanks for all your opinions. Did anyone think that UConn's facilities were kind of depressing. It's in the middle of no where with lots of construction and it's a hospital...

I can only give my 2 cents about Pitt. Upon interviewing there, I heard nothing but great things about the school and its reputation.
Things I liked: special needs clinic, remodeling of the labs, they have a dent sim station for every student, school is part of the main health system/ hospital, anesthesia residency option

Things I didnt like:: that you're in the dentsim lab for 2 straight years, cost, in the Q&A with the D4's- all said they would be going into GPR, when asked why- they said they lacked the confidence and needed the GPR to transition into private practice. I couldnt see myself spending that kind of money to come out unprepared having to spend another year in GPR residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only give my 2 cents about Pitt. Upon interviewing there, I heard nothing but great things about the school and its reputation.
Things I liked: special needs clinic, remodeling of the labs, they have a dent sim station for every student, school is part of the main health system/ hospital, anesthesia residency option

Things I didnt like:: that you're in the dentsim lab for 2 straight years, cost, in the Q&A with the D4's- all said they would be going into GPR, when asked why- they said they lacked the confidence and needed the GPR to transition into private practice. I couldnt see myself spending that kind of money to come out unprepared having to spend another year in GPR residency.

Interesting... I received many of the same impressions. I was especially concerned about the students being unhappy and the lack of confidence by 4th year students. Overall, would you go to Pitt?

Even with pass/fail UConn students seemed super competitive and a tad socially awk.

We're actually not competitive with each other at all. We all share tons of resources; they've really helped me out on multiple occasions. We don't even know how anybody scores on any of the exams, we just want to make sure everyone makes it through. I'm not quite sure where you got that impression from.

To the OP: Congratulations, you're in! This is a good dilemma to have :) If you have any specific questions about UConn, I'd be glad to answer them via PM (to the best of my ability as a lowly 1st year).

Interesting... I received many of the same impressions. I was especially concerned about the students being unhappy and the lack of confidence by 4th year students. Overall, would you go to Pitt?

I've actually decided on another school in PA

Patient pool is extremely low at Pitt these days. I'm not sure if it'll get better.

If you are not interesting in specialization, pick the one with p/f. Life will be much better. Based on my personal experience, both Maryland and Pittsburgh are good. If you like to study alone, not go to classes, Maryland probably a better choice for you. Pittsburgh has mandatory attendance. And you know your classmates better if you are forced to go to classes everyday.

What draws students away from going to class everyday? I can't imagine it's fun spending endless time in front of your computer watching lectures before an exam.

Things I didnt like:: that you're in the dentsim lab for 2 straight years, cost, in the Q&A with the D4's- all said they would be going into GPR, when asked why- they said they lacked the confidence and needed the GPR to transition into private practice. .I couldnt see myself spending that kind of money to come out unprepared having to spend another year in GPR residency

This isn't unique to any school, this is how it is everywhere (except for Temple or other schools with unusually large patient pools). Go to any NY school and you're doing a residency for 1 year. Why? Because new dentists everywhere are suck. Either you'll feel like you're not prepared OR even worse - you think you know what you're doing. But the reality is you'll know just enough to be dangerous so you'll take on a procedure that you probably can't handle. I'm clearly not a new dental grad but my information comes from my two siblings who are also dentists - one is a new grad (no residency) and the other graduated 10 years ago and did a 1 year residency.

Also, you're not in the dentsim lab for 2 years at pitt:

You're in a clinic rotation often the first week of school - meaning you're shadowing, possibly assisting in different general dentistry / specialty areas. As far as actually seeing patients yourself, during the summer of the 1st year, you start getting assigned recall patients, so you need to take health histories, do hard tissue charting, prophy and scaling cleanings, education, sealants if needed, etc - nothing really invasive, but it's incredibly useful to be exposed to patient care so early. Starting the Fall of 2nd year, you can sign up to do restorative work (fillings and such) paired up with a 4th year.

If you are not interesting in specialization, pick the one with p/f. Life will be much better. Based on my personal experience, both Maryland and Pittsburgh are good. If you like to study alone, not go to classes, Maryland probably a better choice for you. Pittsburgh has mandatory attendance. And you know your classmates better if you are forced to go to classes everyday.

Depends on what you see as mandatory. They say you need to attend a certain % of each class, but so far most professors didn't take attendance (however, I've only finished my first semester). A good friend of mine rarely attends class and has never been penalized (besides missing some extra credit opportunities).

??? I haven't met anyone that is unhappy. Some people in my class don't like the city of Pittsburgh that much, but they're from LA and other large cities, but I think the city is growing on them! I took almost the whole month to decide between Pitt and another school... I'd go back and do the same in a heartbeat, but then again I'm only a 1st year.

Depends on what you see as mandatory. They say you need to attend a certain % of each class, but so far most professors didn't take attendance (however, I've only finished my first semester). A good friend of mine rarely attends class and has never been penalized (besides missing some extra credit opportunities).

Maryland has live and recorded podcasts for all lectures. It's almost the same to study at home and in class. But Pitt doesn't offer that. It does make a differences if one skips class or not at Pitt, because one may miss some valuble study "tips" from instructors.

But why would you not go to class? I mean, it's a place to learn the information. If you don't go when the class is scheduled, you have to watch the lectures sometime...I mean....doesn't make sense to me if you aren't saving any time...

Realistically I'd miss class because I'd be studying for another class's test

Maryland has live and recorded podcasts for all lectures. It's almost the same to study at home and in class. But Pitt doesn't offer that. It does make a differences if one skips class or not at Pitt, because one may miss some valuble study "tips" from instructors.

This is true. If this is extremely important to you then I wouldn't go to Pitt.

However, some professors record and we record as many others as we can (some professors do not want to have their lectures recorded).

But why would you not go to class? I mean, it's a place to learn the information. If you don't go when the class is scheduled, you have to watch the lectures sometime...I mean....doesn't make sense to me if you aren't saving any time...

In some cases you don't really need the lecture because the professor is just reading off the slides. Some people don't really learn anything this way, so they choose not to go and just read the slides themselves.

I would not choose to attend UMB period.

A classmate made this video, you will to learn everything about the school:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc7acAWlSZA

Cons:

1. classes are too full
2. budget cuts, school lost 13 professors and not replacing them all last year
3. not enough clinic chairs
4. students are too competitive and cut throat (there isn't a great sense of community)
5. hard to find patients and retain patients for specific treatments and requirements
6. too much focus (in my opinion) on research and didatic studies versus clinic
7. too much extra bull**** work, like papers
8. not enough focus on clinical, too much red tape to get through just to get procedures done
9. tough perio department

I am a D3 student at Maryland. Its shiny outside but heartless inside. I can answer any ohter specific questions you have. We are in the middle of clinic revamp mess. Half of the class don't graduate on time here.

There's no need to double post. I just looked through your post history, and it seems that, overall, you're not enjoying Maryland. I'm sorry for that. I do know some people at Maryland that have great things to say about it. I've also learned over the years that for every disappointed student, there are at the very least an equal amount, if not more, happy students.