Maryland, UMDNJ, UPenn????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peter North

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've narrowed down my acceptances to Maryland, UMDNJ, and Upenn. I'm a NJ resident, with a about a 50% chance that I will want to specialize. I have NO CLUE how to decide from here. Peter North needs advice

Members don't see this ad.

Peter North, just follow your head.

Peter North said:
I've narrowed down my acceptances to Maryland, UMDNJ, and Upenn. I'm a NJ resident, with a about a 50% chance that I will want to specialize. I have NO CLUE how to decide from here. Peter North needs advice

Can you shoot films from any location? Thats an important consideration.

Im not positive but I imagine UMDNJ will be cheaper for you since you are a resident. Also how eager are you to leave or stay in NJ. I think these are some of the more important questions. You will get into a speciality if you work hard, theres no getting around that. You cant just go to UPENN and assume you are going to get into speciality because of the name...it all comes down to the scores. Make some persoan decisions. Let preference play a big role and leverage your decision with some financial considerations. GL

Members don't see this ad :)
Pete,
How'd you like UMD's new Dental School? I interviewed there and thought it was pretty nice. Personally, though, I think UMD is much too expensive for out of state. I'd rather go to PENN for just an extra 5K.

listen buddy - i was born in baltimore and let me tell you about the crime rate and the drug addiction problems that the city has... oh and there are ZERO things to do unless you want to drive to DC every day of the year! check out penn and umdmj :)

SMC2UCLA2_ said:
Can you shoot films from any location? Thats an important consideration

This is a very important consideration that I'll have to work out with production staff and may be the biggest decision factor. haha

While i felt equally at home at all three schools I found NJ to be much more affordable and a nice clinic but poor location, UPenn in a much better location and what seemed like a better currriculum approach and Maryland will have Beautiful facilites and real friendly faculty and staff.

clp said:
listen buddy - i was born in baltimore and let me tell you about the crime rate and the drug addiction problems that the city has...

Thanks for the warning, but i didn't see anything too alarming there and Newark isn't exaclty the hamptons either.

Thank you to all, I think i'll just draw a name out of a hat!