Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Maryland v. Dartmouth v. Pitt

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by StacyC, Apr 22, 2004.

1. StacyC

StacyC New Member

I have a friend who's deciding between these medical schools (not registered for SDN). She's a Maryland resident. It's a tough decision, and she was wondering if anyone has any advice about this situation or input about any of the schools? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. personal jesus

personal jesus Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Its not that difficult, UMD is a hell of a lot cheaper and its a great school. Nothing about Pitt or Dartmouth makes up for the difference in tuition.

4. southbelle

southbelle Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Maryland. No question.

5. quideam

quideam Too tired to complain
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, it depends on a lot. All three are good schools, with different plusses or minuses. If you're looking purely at reputation, Pitt is the best. However, Maryland in-state tuition will definetely beat Pitt. It depends on what's important to your friend, what areas of medicine he/she's interested in, etc. You need to post more specifics in order to get a better response...

6. U4iA

U4iA εὐφορία
    10+ Year Member

md - without a doubt..

7. DMBUGA34

DMBUGA34 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Maryland, but wait for financial aid packages before withdrawing. Dartmouth became cheaper than my state school

8. southbelle

southbelle Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dartmouth gave you over 20k/year in free money? Congrats!!

9. TheRussian

TheRussian Life Size Mirror
    7+ Year Member

I hope I get the same thing as you *cross fingers*

10. TheRussian

TheRussian Life Size Mirror
    7+ Year Member

Oh and I would pick DMS or Pitt if the person is intersted in competitive specialities/academic medicine.

11. lynnier79

10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    its also important to think about what type of place would make him/her happiest. what are the kids like in each place? the kids at DMS are not like ANY i have seen anywhere else. there is just a different, wonderful attitude up here in the north country. sure, its a smaller place with fewer types of cases and fewer cases in general, but the hospital is warmer than anywhere else i have worked. and the students are happier, too.

12. southbelle

southbelle Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm not even sure I would agree with this, especially comparing DMS and Maryland. If you are meant to get a neurosurgery spot and become a neurosurgeon, you're going to do it from either DMS, Pitt, or Maryland. Neither of these schools would assure such a spot either.

Even my former gunner self may have chosen Maryland in this situation if I didn't get one of Pitt's big scholarships. But who knows; I don't want to think about those days :)

13. lalalala

7+ Year Member

Maryland, easy IMHO. They have a lot of links with Hopkins, I'd venture, being in the same area. I thought their match list was pretty impressive--see allo forum, although of course the match list ain't the end all be all! I don't think Pitt or Dartmouth are worth money in terms of the little extra "oomph" they may add.

14. bigbaubdi

bigbaubdi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

In looking at their match lists, it seems like a decent proportion of their students go on to do residencies at Hopkins hospital.