Maryland vs ADOH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stew24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Loved them during interviews and both seemed very focused on the clinical aspect and community service. I just feel like I don't know much about ASDOH (A.T Still) at this point other than what I experienced in my interview. Any pros/cons for either school you'd be able to share?
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any pros/cons for either school you'd be able to share?
thanks!

Maryland is a god among dental schools.

Edit: they also gave in-state tuition after D1.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is there anywhere you prefer to live at? Those are two very different places, if you prefer to live in one of them over the other that could be a starting to point to decide. I don't know about cost of attendance, but I believe living expenses in AZ should be a lot less. Is there any significant difference in curriculum that is relevant or you? the overall vibe you got in one is better than the other? Must say, not an easy choice since Maryland is indeed very well known amazing school. I went for a tour last year at ASDOH and loved the atmosphere there, I didn't see Maryland yet, so can't help you there...

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anywhere you prefer to live at? Those are two very different places, if you prefer to live in one of them over the other that could be a starting to point to decide. I don't know about cost of attendance, but I believe living expenses in AZ should be a lot less. Is there any significant difference in curriculum that is relevant or you? the overall vibe you got in one is better than the other? Must say, not an easy choice since Maryland is indeed very well known amazing school. I went for a tour last year at ASDOH and loved the atmosphere there, I didn't see Maryland yet, so can't help you there...

Cost wise, the tuition seems to be about the same and the cost of living isn't significantly different enough in my situation to warrant choosing one school over the other. I felt a better vibe at ASDOH--the students were all so so happy. I think the biggest thing for me is the fact that they're so new, and Maryland does have a better reputation (or so i've heard). I guess I just don't know how important it is to go to a reputable dental school over a newer one that is much less well known

Reactions: 1 user
Find the school that fits YOUR needs/desires. Everyone has their own two cents and I would listen, but you can get overwhelmed with lots of varying opinions. Just remember at the end of the day, you're going through this and you know yourself best so trust your gut and how you felt at those interview days and when speaking to alumni/faculty/students at each respective school!

Best of luck in your decision!

Reactions: 2 users
Cost wise, the tuition seems to be about the same and the cost of living isn't significantly different enough in my situation to warrant choosing one school over the other. I felt a better vibe at ASDOH--the students were all so so happy. I think the biggest thing for me is the fact that they're so new, and Maryland does have a better reputation (or so i've heard). I guess I just don't know how important it is to go to a reputable dental school over a newer one that is much less well known
If you care for reputation because of specialty, research or academia it's one thing ,but non of you patients will ever care what school you attended... As said here before.... go to the school that feels like the best fit for you.

If you have any questions about Maryland, please feel free to reach out. I am a current third year student.

If you have any questions about Maryland, please feel free to reach out. I am a current third year student.

Is there anything you dislike about the school?

How hard is it to get In-state tuition for year 2?

Do you know any nice and safe neighborhoods near the school to live?

Thank you in advance

Tough decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
MARYLAND IS FAR MORE AFFORDABLE THAN ASDOH.

For ASDOH:
D1: $119,245
D2: $117,844
D3: $109,553
D4: $108,355

Total 4-year ASDOH Cost: $454,997. Source: https://www.atsu.edu/financial-aid#ddm-tuition

For Maryland:

I referred to this PDF published by UMB on the cost of attendance for each semester: https://www.umaryland.edu/media/umb/af/sa/DDS.pdf

My Analysis:

Assuming 15K/yr cost of living...60K for all 4 yrs cost of living (I got this from a current D3 there, @umbtoothfairy )

Total Cost of Attendance if IN-STATE after D1: $288,226
Total Cost of Attendance if IN-STATE after D2: $322,137

From my interviews with multiple UMB students, it's very possible to get IS after D1, and virtually everyone who tries gets it after D2.

Numbers I used for tuition and fees:
D1: OOS $82,559.80.
D2: OOS $81,543.80. IS $47,633.00
D3: OOS $79,196.80. IS $48,830.80
D4: OOS $78,978.80. IS $49,202.80.

For cost of living, I assumed a flat $15K/yr and added to the configurations from the numbers above.

See above
Good to know, thank you!

OP,

I am leaning towards changing my opinion. I think you should take a closer look at ASDOH. Their rotations are also something amazing.

I declined ASDOH for its high tuition plus 6 month of summer in Arizona (average 95 and above) and their modular system that makes everyone cry, my friend is a D3 student at there and he said if you have another option do not go to ASDOH