Maryland vs. Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ValleyGal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I promised myself that I wouldn't post this poll, but I just can't seem to make up my mind. I have been holding an acceptance to Tulane for awhile, but I recently got into Maryland. I am in-state at Maryland and my family is near by, but I want to go to the best med school possible. Would you guys choose Maryland or Tulane?

(I want to drop one because many are waiting for waitlist movement and I don't want to make you sit around not knowing for any longer than necessary!)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say go to Tulane, but admittedly, my only reason for that is I REALLY want to get in to Maryland, and the more spots available the better. :) Really though, I'd go to whichever school you liked better / felt more at home at, unless the cost is the issue.

I was accepted to Tulane but withdrew, mainly because I have ties to the east coast that draw me to other schools. Tulane had a great, laid back atmosphere that I found to be rather unique for a med school. The students seemed happy and had some flexibility in their schedule. Also, if you have any interest in international medicine or public health, Tulane has great opportunities. Plus, the extra classes are free until you get the actual degree. But there is always the issue of cost--loans, vs. no loans or almost no loans...

Members don't see this ad :)
Maryland without a doubt. --Trek

I'm one of those on the wait list at Tulane. I would probably choose Maryland unless you really loved New Orleans. It would be nice to be close to your family and not worry as much about loans.

BTW, does anyone know why Tulane is not ranked by US News? Not that it matters that much, but everyone seems to consider it a top 50 school.

go to Maryland. i think having a strong support system (ie family) is very important during medical school.
good luck and let us know what u decide. and congrats for getting into two great schools.

I am leaning towards Maryland, especially because of the family and location reasons. It is a whole lot cheaper. Tulane is not ranked on US NEWS because they do not give their information to them. I looked at the Tulane match list in comparison to Maryland's and Tulane does send people to great hospitals all over the country while Maryland is more regional. However, lots of people stay in New Orleans, where I could not see myself staying for a long time. Another factor is that the students at Tulane seem to have a lot of fun and really like it there. But is it worth the $80,000 more in tuition alone? I can't really convince myself of that.

Apparently last year tulane DID send their info into USNews- but still did not make the rank. This is based on what students from there have said here. Take that as you will. --Trek

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Trek:
•Apparently last year tulane DID send their info into USNews- but still did not make the rank. This is based on what students from there have said here. Take that as you will. --Trek•••••I interviewed last week and someone asked Dean Pisano about this and he said that they have not submitted their info to US News, but was being pressured by some of the higher-ups to do so. He basically discounted the way all the rankings are done, including the Gourman Report, which ranks them pretty high.

Hey UCS and others- i was going off this thread where simul (a T1 or T2) posted they had submitted info. I don't know how to make it a link, but here's the info- it's the last post on the first page:

<a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=009357&p=" target="_blank">http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=009357& p=</a>

I took it at face value as i had no reason to question a student at the school in question. But if you heard it from pisano, maybe that's more reliable. No clue :) --Trek

I have no clue either. I remeber reading that thread. Last week, Pisano basically pimped this guy as to how they rank schools, why its important, etc. It was almost comical. Anyway, Tulane will give you a great clinical education, its my new #1. So, GO TO MARYLAND!! :D

Hi,

Congrats on the acceptances! If you'll be as happy living in Baltimore as New Orleans, I'd say go with Maryland. You'll save a good deal of money, and it's a strong school. Just try to make sure that saving money isn't the only reason you choose Maryland (if you do) - but that there are other reasons you'll be excited to be there as well.

Just my two cents :)

couldn't have said it better myself. my #1 piece of advice to incoming students is to have a strong support system. I made the mistake of moving into a dorm of cliquey and immature people far away from my family and am often lonely and unhappy. My family is moving up here next year so I think things will be better, but I think I would have felt better up here even if I'd lived on my own with a dog or cat (pets, esp. dogs are great but a lot of work) instead of a roommate. Everyone needs some kind of companionship other than a phone call from hundreds of miles away. well enough of that, hope you make the decision you feel comfortable with and congrats!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by C U in MD school:
•go to Maryland. i think having a strong support system (ie family) is very important during medical school.
good luck and let us know what u decide. and congrats for getting into two great schools.•••••

•••quote:•••Originally posted by ValleyGal:
I promised myself that I wouldn't post this poll</font>•••Why? These polls are fun!

Unless you have a compelling reason, I'd go with the better school (MARYLAND). Of course, if you thought that Tulane's campus and people were a better fit, then I'd go with them.