Mass General vs. Brigham and Women's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

Burt Bachrach

I am trying to finish up my rank list and can't decide which one to rank first. Of course, they are both academically superb. And, in the end, you can't go wrong with either. I also know people have various opinions and the topic has been beaten to death in the past, but with all the changes for next year, I'd be interested to find out which one people think will allow for more of a normal life.

Any current residents want to chime in?

Members don't see this ad.

i think the hours will probably be equivalent at both- although in the 80hr work week environment, both MGH and BWH schedules are currently in flux and will remain so for at least the next year.

the quality of training and fellowship placement at both institutions are unequalled and HMS students flip/flop from year to year regarding how many graduates choose to matriculate in either program.

only identifiable difference is the culture- which i think trickles down from the top.... so figure out whether you can see yourself hanging out with Hassan or Joel Katz- and you can figure out where you'll be happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got good feedback from MGH this week. Haven't heard a peep from the Brigham. But, I am also very interested to hear how people would break these two programs down.

Peace out,

Abe Froman

'The sausage king of Chicago'

out of curiosity, what kind of feedback did you get from mgh?

boolaboo said:
out of curiosity, what kind of feedback did you get from mgh?

I mentioned it in another post, but I got an email that I suspect was sent out to a bunch of people because the salutation didn't mention my name directly, just said "Greetings!!" It was also sent to that mysterious aamc email distribution list, not my personal account.

To make a long story short, the email started out with a bit of typical pleasantries ("we enjoyed your visit...were very impressed, etc.), and then dropped the following bomb into my lap--- "you were one of the very best applicants we saw all year, and clearly will be in the top ranking group!!!"

I also got a phone call from them. As they say in Beantown: "wicked bizzare," huh?

Anyone else heard from them or BWH.

Know of others who have heart from MGH as well.
Since they made their rank list 2 weekends ago this is not surprising.
Nothing from BWH though.

what kinds of numbers (boards, class rank, etc) are they looking for at MGH? I'm a third year and considering applying to MGH and want to know if I have a shot. Thanks

I am choosing MGH over Brigham. The reputation is pretty similar but I prefer the more front-loaded style of MGH

As far as credentials go, I think 240's on steps & top 10 in the class should be alright to get you an interview (I hope its enough to match there)

abalar said:
what kinds of numbers (boards, class rank, etc) are they looking for at MGH? I'm a third year and considering applying to MGH and want to know if I have a shot. Thanks

There was an earlier post in this forum on interview stats. You might want to check it out.

As far as I could tell, there was a significant range of USMLE scores among those who got interviews. Obviously, other factors must come into play (ie, school rep, AOA staus, research, etc.)

Abe Froman said:
There was an earlier post in this forum on interview stats. You might want to check it out.

As far as I could tell, there was a significant range of USMLE scores among those who got interviews. Obviously, other factors must come into play (ie, school rep, AOA staus, research, etc.)

I would agree - I bombed my boards - didn't even break the mean, but come from a top school with good research, good recs and good grades. I wasn't denied any interviews. It might affect me for match - but at least i got to the interview phase.

Or, there are people like me...

250s Step I, medicine clerkship honors, AOA, top-20 med school, publications, good letters and shut out by MGH and Brigham.

Not looking for sympathy, just wanted to share how "random" this whole process can be.

Good luck everybody...Only 5 more weeks.

bicycle said:

250s Step I, medicine clerkship honors, AOA, top-20 med school, publications, good letters and shut out by MGH and Brigham.

Not looking for sympathy, just wanted to share how "random" this whole process can be.

i hear ya, man...i hear ya :mad:

bicycle said:

sounds rough...I'm planning an AI for the month of september...any tips?
thanks again.

abalar said:
sounds rough...I'm planning an AI for the month of september...any tips?
thanks again.

Work hard, be confident, make evidence-based recs when presenting, be pleasant toward all your colleagues, and NEVER sell out another member of your team (student or resident). Also a good time to get a letter, so try to connect with your attending. Good luck.