Quantcast

Mass of water greater at lower temperature???

Get Shadowing and a Virtual Clinical Education
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aardvarkm12

Reaction score
In a Berkeley Review question, it asks to compare the molality of 1.0g of compound MX with 10mL of water at 25C and at 50C.

However, according to Berkeley Review, "Because the density of water decreases as the temperature of water increases, the mass of 10 mL water is greater at the lower temperature".

So they are saying the molality of 1.0g of MX with 10mL of water at 25C is HIGHER than the molality of 1.0g of MX with 10mL of water at 50C. But...my understanding was that molality does NOT change with temperature, while molarity does.

Can anyone explain the statement " the mass of 10 mL water is greater at the lower temperature"???

Thanks!

Cawolf

PGY-2
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The volumes are stated to be equal and it is known that densities are different. Therefore the mass will differ.

There is equal solute, so the more massive (colder) solution will have a greater mass of solvent.

Molality is moles/kg, so the more massive solution will have a lower molality.

The molarity should be constant, because the units are moles/Liter, which is the same in both samples.

NextStepTutor_1

Next Step Test Prep Tutor
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Exactly, @Cawolf nailed it.
Remember your equations.
Molality = moles of solute / mass of solvent
Molarity = moles of solute / volume of solvent

Because the volume of the water is remaining the same with increasing temperature, the molarity is remaining the same.
Because the mass of the water is changing (due to density change) with increasing temperature, the molality is changing.

Reactions: 1 user

Czarcasm

Hakuna matata, no worries.
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
@NextStepTutor_1 @Cawolf Either of you willing to loan out your brain for a day? I promise I'll return in it in good condition. :D Seriously though, I appreciate you guys' replies, especially with physics and chemistry stuff - really helpful.

Reactions: 2 users

Cawolf

PGY-2
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
;) I wish! I am just starting my MCAT studying this week - so I doubt I can be of much aid.

But I am happy to reply to questions on topics I am comfortable with!

techfan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cawolf and NextStep have given great explanations, but I'll chime in to see if my understanding is good. I look at it as the molecules of water at a higher temperature "bounce around" more and take up more volume (like giving kids crack {I guess candy would've worked too} and having them go into a bouncy castle), in the problem they fix the volume (size of the bouncy castle) so the amount of molecules is limited by the temperature (fit less cracked out kids {assuming you don't want injury/lawsuits} in bouncy castle than kids on Ambien).

Reactions: 1 user
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.